Webmaster Forum Rules | Posting Guide | Contact Us | Testimonials | Contributing Geek Program | Advertise on Geek/Talk
Welcome to the GeekTalk Webmaster Discussion Forums from GeekVillage.com

Click Here To Register. It's Free!

Go Back   geek/talk: Web publishing business discussion > YOUR PERFORMANCE: Website Promotion, Marketing and Growth > Marketing Your Website Online
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-03-2000, 12:49 AM   #1
Vancouver_BC
Member.

Lightbulb whats a good domain name?

Keeping on the topic of domain names...Is it better to use a more simpler, easy to remember word for my domain name or should I use the full name. Eg. My page is called Banner Ads:Reviewed, would I be best to register my domain name as www.banneradsreviewed.com or should I call it something more along the lines of www.bar.com (obviously www.bar.com is already taken, but you get my point :0) ) Also, are buying banner ads the best way to go, or are banner exchange programs the best way? thanks a million!
Vancouver_BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2000, 01:43 AM   #2
Questy

Thumbs up

Vancouver_BC,

Welcome to the geek talk forums. We are trying to clarify the mission of each of our forums.

The making money forum deals with affiliate programs, pay per click advertising, and other ways of generating revenue from a web site.

The webmasters forum deals with technical issues and site reviews for webmasters.

The small business forum has been set up to discuss general business issues, tax issues, legal issues, basic start up issues.

I'm moving this to the small business forum where I feel it's more appropriate. Please join us there for follow up.

------------------
Regards from your forum moderator
..... "Questy"

Questy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2000, 01:47 PM   #3
Questy

Cool

Vancouver_BC,

Greeting once again, and welcome to the forum.

Your question, what's a good domain name, well here's my humble opinion. First, is it easy to remember.

There's some talk in this forum about the PsomethingQ names. If you can get folks to remember the reason behind the name, and they remember it, you've succeeded. About the only warning I would have is not to use words that may have different spellings, unless you're prepared to but multiple spellings.

There's some "flowery phrases" that aren't exactly short, but the name is descriptive, like www.webpagesthatsuck.com

banneradsreviewed.com isn't taken, but it just is a bit to long, just doesn't snap for me. Here's a thought, just for example purposes, your name you are using is Vancouver_BC, let's say you Market yourself as VBC ads. Your logo says Vancouver BC Ads, find us at vbcads.com, while vbcads.com by itself looks like gibberish, when I think of your comapny name Vancouver BC Ads, vbcads.com is easier to remember.

I think the key is making the name something easy to remember, and if the marketing the name with everything you do.

FWIW,

------------------
Regards from your forum moderator
..... "Questy"

Questy is offline   Reply With Quote