Webmaster Forum Rules | Posting Guide | Contact Us | Testimonials | Contributing Geek Program | Advertise on Geek/Talk
Welcome to the GeekTalk Webmaster Discussion Forums from GeekVillage.com

Click Here To Register. It's Free!

Go Back   geek/talk: Signature-free discourse for serious web publishers > YOUR FRIENDS: The geek/talk Community > geek/yak
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-15-2006, 04:03 PM   #1
Alex|Canep Media
I am a Contributing Geek. Are You?

Default **** thread

I read a paypal **** thread here a minute ago and typed up a beautiful response to why its a **** and nobody should participate in it. The last line was asking a mdo or admin to remove the thread and ban the user.

To my surprise by the time I clicked the post button, the thread had already been deleted.

Its amazing how these **** artists just keep coming back again and again.

Good job GeekTalk staff for staying on your tows and keeping this community clean. I'm fairly new to this forum, and its not one of the most active forums on the web, but it is definately one of the most professional forums I have been a part of.

Hmm the word sc am was marked out with ****

Last edited by Alex|Canep Media; 05-15-2006 at 04:04 PM.
Alex|Canep Media is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2006, 04:08 PM   #2
Jan

Administrator

Heh, sorry you weren't able to reply
Jan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2006, 04:13 PM   #3
TopFighters

I also typed my 15 lines of text for nothing I'm a slow a s s I guess
but hey, we like the mods , fast and fair
TopFighters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2006, 06:22 PM   #4
Alex|Canep Media

Thumbs up

Yup, definately. I'd rather have quick mods then a chance to chew out a ****mer. Just go into a Yahoo small business chat room and you can meet the prince of Congo who needs your help to trasnfer large sums of money to an american bank account and offers you 5%.

By the way any particular reason why (sc am) is blocked form the forums? Not a profane word, don't see why it should be censored. When I see a censor I automatically assume its a profane word and think its a lot worse then it really is.
Old 05-15-2006, 07:42 PM   #5
Larwee

GeekGuide

proxy, I can give you the basic reason why that particular word is censored. Of course it has nothing to do with profanity.

Often people would use that word in talking about a particular business when they weren't pleased. Often it was used without justification. Many people were using it before they had all of their facts.

Geek/Talk has a method that can be used for people who have disputes, and it has solved many disputes over the years. With the official complaint procedure both sides are allowed to state their position following certain rules.

The point is to keep Geek/Talk from being a place where people would be posting comments and using negative words about what they believe to be the dishonesty of a particular operation.

There are ways to express your experience with the firm by giving specific details. Just tossing out a lot of negative words about the business doesn't serve any useful purpose, and that particular word was one that was being tossed around an awful lot. That is why it is censored.

Edit: I should add that these type of things can get out of control once the name calling begins. A person uses a negative word, then who the word(s) were directed at starts calling that person negative terms.

The desire is to keep Geek/Talk as professional as possible and those type of exchanges aren't professional. The official complaint takes care of this issue.

What I've said is the general reason of why that particular word is censored.

Last edited by Larwee; 05-15-2006 at 10:40 PM.
Larwee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2006, 10:41 PM   #6
Alex|Canep Media

Thanks Lawree, I can see why the GeeK Talk staff decided on this form of action. Personally I think the astericks make it seem a lot worse then it really is, a simple rule would probably work just as good if not better.

I used the word sc am to describe a particular thread that was started earlier, those members who had read the thread prior to its removal would all agree that it was indeed a sc am.

I do not agree with those that classify a company as a sc am without definate evidence, and all companies have some kind fo disputes with companies sooner or later, nobody can run a successful business without them.
Old 05-15-2006, 11:58 PM   #7
Jan

Administrator

Yeah I think we could probably uncensor the word as the likelyhood of someone calling a company **** is very low as to compared to the ****my posts we (and all forums get). The particular one you saw has a section at the bottom explaining how to copy and paste and how to search google for "suitable" forums and newsgroups to paste their junk.
Jan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2006, 10:26 AM   #8
Czar

Webmaster

With Jan and our other eagle-eyed GeekGuides and TeamGeekers on board, it truly is a wonder why these folks haven't chosen to cross Geek/Talk off their target lists permanently.

Very rarely is this type of thread live on Geek/Talk for much more time than it would take for a member to complete the registration process. Even the bots have a hard time proving their value the way this community clamps down on them, but some spammers simply seem to be slow learners.

Good stuff geeks!

[Temporarily uncensoring the term "****" now.]

Follow Geek/Talk's Twitter Feed and Facebook Page to stay up to date with new discussion threads and online ad industry highlights.

Important GeekVillage Links: Home | Rules | Posting Guide | Report Trouble | Feedback | Advertise on GV
Czar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2006, 01:58 PM   #9
Larwee

GeekGuide

I have mentioned before that in my previous life, before I became involved in this field, I was in mail order. I sold merchandise and services by mail. I also was the publisher of several ad supported mail order publications. The details are in this thread in case you care to read them http://www.geekvillage.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=26117

One of the big problems was people sending all types of get rich quick junk in the mail to people who were advertising. Since I was advertising in many publications, in addition to my own, I was receiving lots of this stuff. A lot of what was in this junk being sent was illegal.

Besides all of the qet rich quick stuff, there were the chain letters as well as things which were completely dishonest.

In this junk that was mailed, it often included statments saying that it is legal and all the great things that will happen to people if they become involved. There were instructions on where to find names to mail to and on getting copies made or printed.

There were other publishers who had publications like the ones I published. Most were sent to people free of charge. They were sent to people who would be interested in the legitimate advertising in the publications as well as people who would be interested in advertising.

In addition to people getting names and addresses of the advertisers in these publications to send their chain letters and get rich quick junk to, some would also spend money and buy certain types of mailing lists to target certain groups of people. Opportunity seekers and business owners were two of the most popular. Many people would also mail to the advertisers they found in newspapers and magazine they subscribed to or purchased where newspapers and/or magazines were being sold.

The good news is that there are very strong laws against this illegal stuff and the laws were strongly enforced. A lot of it was classified as mail fraud. People would get visits from postal inspectors telling them to stop what they were doing. In some cases they could get all of the mail delivery of the people stopped who were sending out this get rich quick illegal stuff. Therefore when people responded, it would never reach them. The mail would get returned to the sender with a message stamped on the front of the envelope indicating it was being returned because it was sent to someone who was in violation of U.S. laws dealing with the mail.

There were many people who were prosecuted and sent to prison for violation of these laws. While some of these illegal programs continued, on a smaller scale, many were completely stopped because of strong enforcement of laws.

A lot of the people who were involved in these type of things dealing with the mail honestly didn't know what they were doing was illegal. They thought they had found a way to make a fortune very quickly. Naturally there were those who knew it was illegal and just tried to get away with it because they didn't care and thought they would get away with it. Many ended up being caught and prosecuted.

I also operated a mail order printing business. I would receive many printing orders for literature people wanted printed promoting their various chain letters and get rich quick promises. Often I would contact those who wanted this stuff printed and try to explain what they were getting into and what could happen to them. Most wouldn't listen and wanted their printing done right away so they could start making their fortune.

Some of this still goes on in the mail. But it is now on a much smaller scale. The enforcement of the laws have been a big help in the reduction. The rising postal rates have also reduced the participation. But being able to do it online much faster and cheaper has paid a very big role in the reduction of this junk being sent through the mail.

This is now something that is common is news groups, many forums and in email spam. It is a very big nuisance. It is a problem that originates in countries from around the world. Hopefully eventually technology and strong laws, which are enforced, will be successful in bringing the situation under control.
Larwee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2006, 04:51 PM   #10
Alex|Canep Media

I'm still waiting for an internet police to be created. Its bound to happen sooner or later, not necessarily to censor items on internet, but to prevent people from breaking laws.

The internet it a global network, and currently has very few regulations, I think some kind of internet police would be a great method of getting rid of these spammers.