Webmaster Forum Rules | Posting Guide | Contact Us | Testimonials | Contributing Geek Program | Advertise on Geek/Talk
Welcome to the GeekTalk Webmaster Discussion Forums from GeekVillage.com

Click Here To Register. It's Free!

Go Back   geek/talk: Signature-free discourse for serious web publishers > YOUR REVENUE: Making Money On The Internet > Making Money with CPC and/or CPM Programs
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-19-2001, 05:34 PM   #1
robwod

Thumbs up

Hello all,

Voltaire, I have also reluctantly investigated the use of popups and what I ended up deciding on was to work with a selected number of affiliate merchants and create a sort of "mini directory" that shows as a popbehind (a cookie is used to only show the popbehind once every 12 hours).

After a week of using it, our affiliate revenues have jumped by more than 200% and our leads have increased by a margin even greater than that.

The best thing about this is that you control the popup since it is hosted by yourself and this ensures your visitors are not bombarded by numerous spawning windows.

In fact, this has been so successful for us that some merchants have contacted us directly to develop a custom popbehind for them, hosted by us, and paid on a CPM basis.

Something to perhaps consider?

-Robert
robwod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2001, 06:35 PM   #2
robot

Unhappy

An interesting idea. What is your effective CPM rate?
robot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2001, 06:54 PM   #3
robwod

Unhappy

robot,

After close to 7 days (today is the 7th day and it is not over yet), we're averaging just over $7 CPM on that one popbehind. Not great, but certainly not too bad either.
Old 02-19-2001, 07:09 PM   #4
Voltaire

Unhappy

Sounds interesting. Do you have a list of pop up programs out there on the net?

Also, what percentage of users would you say keep the window open long enough to receive credit for it?
Voltaire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2001, 07:10 PM   #5
WebFan

Unhappy

Interesting concept.

Could you provide an example of this for us?

http://geekvillage.com/ubb/biggrin.gif
WebFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2001, 07:17 PM   #6
robwod

Unhappy

Hi,

Actually, first thing I need to do is correct my math. The effective CPM is actually averaging closer to $5 as opposed to my earlier calculations.

Voltaire, I am unsure how many users actually keep it open, and I'm sorry but I do not have a list of popup sponsors. All I did was make a single html page with a few merchant creatives as well as their available text links, organized them a bit on the page, and then added the javascript to load this page into our main page HTML. When users hit the site for the first time within 12 hours, a second window opens and minimizes to their task bar and continues to load in the background while they surf our site.

Surprisingly, we have not had a single complaint from anyone about this addition. So far today that particular page has been loaded about 7500 times, which is only about half of our normal main page. This could be due to some folks closing it before it finishes loading, or that they are return visitors and their 12 hour cookie has not expired.

Hope this helps clarify things a bit.

Webfan: Certainly, simply visit the URL in my profile. You'll see the second window load in the background. Be forewarned though, we operate a fully authorized site that features many models. As such, some folks may not appreciate the content.

[This message has been edited by robwod (edited 02-19-2001).]
Old 02-19-2001, 08:06 PM   #7
robot

Unhappy

Congrats robwod. This is such a simple, but great idea. By customizing content and design to match the site, you have full control over your popunders and can keep optimizing to maximize income. You might even stuff some content in the window to keep the surfer's attention.

I also found that once per unique popunders caused no apparent irritation. If the content better matched my site I might have even received thanks!

[This message has been edited by robot (edited 02-19-2001).]
robot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2001, 09:09 PM   #8
emmzee
I am a Contributing Geek. Are You?

Unhappy

This may be a dumb question, and it may have already been answered somewhere on this board, but can someone give me some code to pop-behind a page with the "only once every 12 hours" cookie setting code in it? Or perhaps you could point me to a link with some code I can stea... erm, no, um, not steal ... I mean, emulate! ... ACK! No, wait, emulate is a naughty word now. Um, borrow? Yeah, borrow ... heh heh ...

But seriously ... can someone help me out? I really don't want to add popups, but since I'm getting dropped from the Luna program on the 28th and I'm not sure if I can earn enough with Burst/default banners I may have to add 'em ... one pop-behind every 12 hours (I'd probably make it every 24 hours) doesn't sound too bad though.

------------------
Darren Hewer
webmaster, www.dosgames.com & www.potofgold.org
dosgames.com is back! Visit for over 200 freeware/shareware DOS games.
"Some people have a way with words, while others ... uhhhhh ... thingy."
emmzee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2001, 09:15 PM   #9
consent

Unhappy

On aol this appears to be a full-page pop up, not a popunder. Is there any way to make the code so it will not load for aol users? (Something like what GoClick does.)
consent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2001, 09:39 PM   #10
Czar

Webmaster

Unhappy

Deviating slightly from the current direction of this thread (ie custom popups), those of you who are interested in going with a completely outsourced solution may like to investigate the following:

1. PopupTraffic. - We all know about this one. $3CPM popups, $2CPM popbehinds. Pops up on every visit, not once/unique viewer.
2. PopupSponsors - $5CPM/unique visitor. Haven't heard much from their users.
3. GoClick - $2.5CPM. Pops up once/unique visitor (number of days can be selected by member). Targeted (memberselects keyword). Pays via PayPal.
4. Focalex - Reasonably targeted (member selects general subject focus). Leads-based, results vary.
5. AdScholar - $4CPM. GianStitial popbehinds appear once/unique visitor.
6. PopupNation - Service offered by Websponsors.com (must be a Websponsors member). Pops up CPA offers. Results vary.
7. ExitFuel - $5CPM on exit consoles. Spawn multiple windows. Reportedly buggy.
8. Megabuxx - New program. Currently BETA testing $2CPM popbehinds. (popped window automatically maximises itself)
9. FastClick, CBM, Engage, L90 - All offer some form of interstitial/superstitial/popup. Rates vary.

Your fears shouldn't be the only factor dictating whether or not you use these programs. I remember that when I first experiemented with popups about a year ago, I heard a huge outcry from my visitors. About a month ago, I started adding popbehinds to many of my sites, and have not received a sinlge complaint. I put this down to the fact that users are getting used to these techniques, that they understand webmasters are struggling to stay alive, and such windows have become less invasive.

Have fun experimenting. http://geekvillage.com/ubb/smile.gif

<edit>corrected sequence of numbers. I can count...really http://geekvillage.com/ubb/wink.gif</edit>

------------------
Czar
Net-Ads - Webmaster Resource Center
iOnline Network

[This message has been edited by Czar (edited 02-19-2001).]
Czar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2001, 10:20 PM   #11
Ronin

Unhappy

I've found GoClick's pop behind code to crash Netscape instantly when a page is loaded into Netscape with it. It works fine with IE and NS6 but not with NS4 versions. Has anybody else had a problem with this? I've emailed GoClick but they don't reply.

Making your own pop behinds with your own leads and search links sounds like a good idea. It will have to be tested by some of us to see if it works out great for us like it did for robwod.

------------------
http://www.animeshack.com - No Cartoons Allowed
Ronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2001, 10:38 PM   #12
robwod

Ahhh, just when you think you have something figured out for normal browsers, up pops the AOL factor (excuse the pun). Thanks consent. Going through the code now to see what i can come up with.

Czar, as always, thanks for providing the great info about pop* programs. I'll have to also look at some of these.
Old 02-19-2001, 11:53 PM   #13
tteenie

Unhappy

Ronin,

I use goclicks.com and check my pages with Netscape 4.08, yet it never crashed my browser. (knock on wood)

t

------------------
If just the right words can't be said,
Then send a free giggle card instead!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
GiggleGarden® Animated Greeting Cards.
http://gigglegarden.com/
tteenie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2001, 12:16 AM   #14
Voltaire

Unhappy Finding the right pop up sponsor

I hate to do it, but as we are in the depression of internet ad sales, I am looking into using pop ups to generate revenue. I am posting this in hopes of gaining a good list of potential popup sponsors.

Popupsponsor.com seems fair, though I haven't heard any feedback on this company. Has anyone here done business with these guys? Anyway, I'm looking for similar popup companies that pay for exit consoles, pop behind windows, and traditional pop ups.

I would like to hear any feedback on said companies as well. With CPM advertising, there were so many frauds and unprofessional ad networks out there, and I don't see why pop ups will be any different, and I certainly don't want to get burned.
Voltaire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2001, 12:24 AM   #15
consent

Unhappy

I have no problem with GoClick on NS4.6
consent is offline   Reply With Quote