Webmaster Forum Rules | Posting Guide | Contact Us | Testimonials | Contributing Geek Program | Advertise on Geek/Talk
Welcome to the GeekTalk Webmaster Discussion Forums from GeekVillage.com

Click Here To Register. It's Free!

Go Back   geek/talk: Signature-free discourse for serious web publishers > YOUR REVENUE: Making Money On The Internet > Making Money with CPC and/or CPM Programs
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-28-2004, 07:44 PM   #1
Larwee

GeekGuide

Default AdSense BIG money publishers

Google began using FedEx to send checks to publishers when the amount of their AdSense check was $10,000 or more. These publishers were sometimes called members of the FedEx Club.

Recently Google changed to UPS to send the AdSense checks for earnings over $10,000 and many of these publishers consider themselves to be in the UPS Club.

Some people don't make enough to get an AdSense check every month, so I don't want to include them in my question. I'm only talking about people who get a check every month from Google for AdSense earnings.

Google isn't talking so there really is no way to know for sure. All a person can do is guess. So, here is my question:
What percentage of the people receiving a monthly check from Google for AdSense earnings would you guess receive a check for $10,000 or more?

Obviously it would only be a guess. I am guessing the percentage might be higher than one would think. My guess, and it is nothing more than a guess is 5%. What is your guess?
Larwee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2004, 08:28 PM   #2
georgec

I suspect it used to be higher, but as viewers start getting used to text ads (ad burn out), that number is dropping. My guess would be 5% as well.
georgec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2004, 08:56 PM   #3
Czar

Webmaster

A statistician could probably get close, given that post-IPO Google now has to disclose detailed financial data related to AdSense. Look at the total revenues paid to publishers, look at the number of publishers participating in the program, look at how many of the top 500 web properties use AdSense and start developing curves.

Since I'm far too lazy to delve that deep, I'll take a stab also. Personally, I would imagine that less than 1% of AdSense publishers make the UPS grade.

As with any large affiliate program, the bulk of activity is likely reserved to a small percentage of large players. While those who participate here and in other web publishing communities may feel that big players make up a greater proportion of AdSense's userbase since they encounter many such companies daily, these BBs are obviously skewed towards professional online ad players.

Even after excluding the 10s of thousands of accounts that are likely inactive, I'd venture to guess that more than 99% of those accounts that do generated some revenue each month fail to reach the $10K mark.

Of course, since AdSense supports multiple web properties under a single account without a publisher having to seek prior approval, their program may be balanced slightly in favour of larger producers, in which case I would be off the mark.

Follow Geek/Talk's Twitter Feed and Facebook Page to stay up to date with new discussion threads and online ad industry highlights.

Important GeekVillage Links: Home | Rules | Posting Guide | Report Trouble | Feedback | Advertise on GV
Czar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2004, 09:28 PM   #4
DougM

Less than 1/2 of 1% but I'll bet it's still a large number. Google seems unlikely to reject any publisher who does not clearly violate terms (and many who do) hence there are just sooo many publishers. How long can that last?

Last edited by DougM; 12-28-2004 at 09:30 PM.
DougM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2004, 01:24 AM   #5
Nintendo
I am a Contributing Geek. Are You?

Less than 1%. Most people don't even get a check every month. There's the thousands of people that sign up that don't make very much, let alone even use the program. Not unless Google prunes all inactive accounts could it ever get above 1%.

Last edited by Nintendo; 12-29-2004 at 01:25 AM.
Nintendo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2004, 11:54 AM   #6
1EightT
Member.

I might be part of that club
1EightT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2004, 03:07 PM   #7
Martijn

Too bad that if you are a member of this club you can still get the invalid clicks email and lose all that money at once. Happened to us and we're still very ****** about it as didn't do anything fraudulent.
Martijn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2004, 09:50 PM   #8
Chazhound

No doubt with public companies come public disclosure. You just know that someone will be disecting the information soon.

I wish I was just in the 5k club
Chazhound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2004, 05:19 AM   #9
dRD

I'd imagine quite a few people make few thousand a month, but when you're in a position where you could make easily $10k a month from AdSense, there are suddenly more lucrative ad deals popping up as well, typically fixed CPM -based deals directly from ad agencies -- and I'd imagine most people prefer a solid, no-guess-work-required CPM deal over a CPC deal, no matter how well targeted the CPC deal is, if the eCPM for both is roughly the same.
dRD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2005, 04:06 PM   #10
Owen

Quote:
Originally posted by Martijn
Too bad that if you are a member of this club you can still get the invalid clicks email and lose all that money at once. Happened to us and we're still very ****** about it as didn't do anything fraudulent.
Same thing happened to me.

Owen
Owen is offline   Reply With Quote