Webmaster Forum Rules | Posting Guide | Contact Us | Testimonials | Contributing Geek Program | Advertise on Geek/Talk
Welcome to the GeekTalk Webmaster Discussion Forums from GeekVillage.com

Click Here To Register. It's Free!

Go Back   geek/talk: Signature-free discourse for serious web publishers > YOUR REVENUE: Making Money On The Internet > Making Money with CPC and/or CPM Programs
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-29-2005, 12:05 PM   #1
Steve_S
I am a Contributing Geek. Are You?

Lightbulb New "Advertise on this site" link for AdSense/AdWords

I believe this is Beta and by invite only for a select few top producers with quality sites in perhaps desitable niches:

1. Go to the following site and then hit some interior pages to see the new link at the top of the AdSense stuff:

http://www.askthebuilder.com

NOTE: I have no connection with the site.

2. Click the Advertise on this site link to see the rest of it

3. This is a really outstanding move by G. IMHO, it's sure to significantly increase revenue for those Publishers and Adverters will love it via the ability to target desirable sites as opposed to the rather primitive way they operate at present. It also simplifies the current procedure, which many advertisers find quite confusing.

Kudos and best wishes to the BackRub boys and their talented team.

Last edited by Steve_S; 09-29-2005 at 12:20 PM.
Steve_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2005, 12:17 PM   #2
Larwee

GeekGuide

Arrow Complete details

Here are the complete details about this from Google http://adwords.google.com/support/bi...nupLandingPage

Last edited by Larwee; 09-29-2005 at 12:29 PM.
Larwee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2005, 01:12 PM   #3
dognose

Well, it looks like this is a custom set up thing, as they have a logo image and site description. I'm assuming this is only for Premium AdSense publishers.

Do you think this will ever be rolled out to regular publishers?
dognose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2005, 08:17 PM   #4
Larwee

GeekGuide

BidClix, BidVertiser and others had this before Google. Sometimes the small players come up with ideas that the big players eventually start using.
Old 09-29-2005, 08:20 PM   #5
Czar

Webmaster

If it proves successful, attractive and easy to manage, then there's definitely a chance; in which case AdBrite, AdEngage, AdJungle, BidVertiser and similar self-serve networks will possibly be at risk of seeing their model gobbled up by the big G.

Since reps from some of these intermediary networks are members here, hopefully we'll hear some feedback from them as to whether or not they see this development as a potential threat, or rather as an acknowledgement of the value and practicality of their model.

Follow Geek/Talk's Twitter Feed and Facebook Page to stay up to date with new discussion threads and online ad industry highlights.

Important GeekVillage Links: Home | Rules | Posting Guide | Report Trouble | Feedback | Advertise on GV
Czar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2005, 07:13 AM   #6
DougM

Quote:
I'm assuming this is only for Premium AdSense publishers.
Does anyone know if this is true? I'd love to see it on my site but see no option to use it or instructions on how to deploy it.
DougM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2005, 06:28 AM   #7
Robinn

Quote:
Originally posted by DougM
Does anyone know if this is true? I'd love to see it on my site but see no option to use it or instructions on how to deploy it.
Same here. We already have several advertisers who are targeting to our specific website and this should be an "awareness" option for others.
Robinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2005, 06:59 AM   #8
Larwee

GeekGuide

This is a test that at the present time is only available to top performers in the AdSense program.

Google adds "Advertise on this site" when they serve the ad.
Old 10-02-2005, 07:02 AM   #9
Robinn

Quote:
Originally posted by Larwee
This is a test that at the present time is only available to top performers in the AdSense program.
So the question would be, what is a "top performer"
Robinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2005, 07:34 AM   #10
Larwee

GeekGuide

AdSense Premium Partners are certainly considered to be in the top performers group. But I don't have the Google inside information on who is being selected, how many have been selected etc. Others might also be considered top performers. But I would think the best route when dealing with top performers would be limited to those who are AdSense Premium Partners.

Google says
Quote:
If your site receives more than 5 million search queries or 20 million content page views a month, you may qualify for AdSense premium service.
Here is a link to premium partners information for anyone who is interested http://services.google.com/ads_inquiry/ct?hl=en_US

Last edited by Larwee; 10-02-2005 at 07:36 AM.
Old 10-02-2005, 02:49 PM   #11
Steve_S

Arrow

Interesting stuff...

I'm not sure if you have actually examined the site I mentioned at http://www.askthebuilder.com/ but its jam packed with huge doses of original content written in a very friendly and compelling manner by an author who has tons and tons of credibility. Combine that with a desirable niche and from what I can guess is about 9K uniques per day (see the media kit) and you have IMHO less than 1% of all the websites in the world which could measure up to these unique factors.

I mention this because it might be a chess game with Y and M. G will need time to anyalize the stats since this is really a CPM deal and those page views must convert to the satisfaction of the Advertisers and not you, me, or any publishers Next, we have the seasonal aspect of this site since most folks don't generally do home improvement during the winter months as opposed to the summer months so I would guess that sales for the golden quarter in this niche would drop and naturally spike during the summer months.

Given this, what would I do if I were G (do you care?)

Nothing! Keep the other side guessing for another 6 months. Next, after I have stats I may infact decide to drive the stake a little deeper into my competition by offering this site a "floor" deal. A floor deal is a guaranteed CPM rate. This means no proviso for conversion and or clicks. No proviso for the age old "quality of traffic" blurbs we often see with Publishers who were droped from a given CPM network because their traffic did not convert. I'm also not convinced yet that meeting the 20 million content page views a month bar gets you into this very exclusive club.

Finally, has anyone found other sites which are running the Advertise on this site G link?

Last edited by Steve_S; 10-02-2005 at 02:50 PM.
Old 10-02-2005, 05:52 PM   #12
Larwee

GeekGuide

Since this is a test Google could end up making a lot of changes and even deciding not to pursue it.

At the present time AdSense Premium Partners have some available features which other AdSense publishers don't. This might end up being another one of those features, but Google might make it available to all AdSense publisher. Google is very good at keeping people guessing.

Right now AdSense Premium Partners receive a guaranteed amount, so that might be a possible consideration for this.

However, many AdSense Premium Partners as well as other publishers using AdSense already sell advertising on their sites and some of them have some rates that could be considered high when compared to the CPM rate Google might be likely to offer.

This is something that could end up being attractive to some and not so attractive to others who would likely elect not to use this Google feature.

Naturally Google is very aware that Yahoo and Microsoft want to do well with their AdSense clones. Google got a head start on them and wants to continue to do everything then can to make their program remain as attractive as possible to both advertisers and publishers.

This "Advertise on this site" will be interesting to follow to see what Google decides to do with it.
Old 10-03-2005, 02:47 PM   #13
DougM

I have seen another site with a similar link from Google but it was Japanese. The site is http://www.alc.co.jp/ but the AdSense ads have been pulled from this page. I saw the "Advertise on this site" link about 3 weeks ago. It was in Japanese of course and formatted differently than Steve's example.

Also, the official word from an email inquiry to Google:
Quote:
The feature you're referring to is one of several new features the Google AdSense team is currently testing for a very limited number of publishers. At this time, we are not able to offer these features to other publishers. Should we offer these features to additional publishers in the future, we will be sure to notify you at that time.
DougM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2005, 03:07 PM   #14
Steve_S

Arrow

Thanks Doug and very very very very interesting

We are the master investigators and yet only a single site is currently running this test program. Anyone else find one?
Old 10-04-2005, 06:33 PM   #15
Brad_Waller

Quote:
Since reps from some of these intermediary networks are members here, hopefully we'll hear some feedback from them as to whether or not they see this development as a potential threat, or rather as an acknowledgement of the value and practicality of their model.
I'd say a bit of both! When I saw the story break last week I got really afraid since we have had this feature since inception as it is a cornerstone of our service. It is pretty scary when the biggest possible competition out there implements something that sure looks identical to your own offering.

But, further reflection and investigation quelled my fears somewhat. In addition to the validation of our model, there are two things that Google is doing that I think gives us the continued advantage. One they can fix, the other would take a corporate philosophy change.

I went through the process of trying to advertise on that site. I clicked the link and logged in and followed all the steps. Boy is it a lot of steps! They make the process complex for an AdWords veteran, and they still make you type in the domain of the site(s) you want to target! I just went through that whole process and they have the same site targeting interface? I sure would not like this if I was a publisher and they not only did not pre-fill in my domain, but made it really easy for the advertiser I brought in to find other (better) sites to advertise on and drain or take away the advertising dollars I should have earned. For Google, this is an easy fix. They can take some of their bright people and make the process far simpler. We just released a new advertising process that eliminated more than half the steps and had more of the process before the login.

The second factor is that this is an advertiser focused service. Once you are in, you set the maximum you are willing to pay to advertise on that site. Publishers should be the ones in control of the price here. Advertisers should see the price and make the decision if this site is worth it to advertise on. We are publisher centric and we give the publishers the say on what they will accept. If they want $1 CPM, they can ask for that. If they want $15 CPM, they can ask for that. The market will decide which sites are worth what they ask, and it is up to the publishers to adjust their rates if they find that they can't bring in the buyers.
http://AdJungle.com - Manage & sell your site's advertising - now with PPC text ads
Brad_Waller is offline   Reply With Quote