Webmaster Forum Rules | Posting Guide | Contact Us | Testimonials | Contributing Geek Program | Advertise on Geek/Talk
Welcome to the GeekTalk Webmaster Discussion Forums from GeekVillage.com

Click Here To Register. It's Free!

Go Back   geek/talk: Signature-free discourse for serious web publishers > YOUR REVENUE: Making Money On The Internet > Making Money with CPC and/or CPM Programs
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-25-2003, 06:56 PM   #1
loanuniverse

Default New Google Toolbar blocks pops

A new google toolbar has a built in pop blocker.

http://toolbar.google.com/index-beta

I thought it would interest those of you getting revenue from pops.
loanuniverse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2003, 07:38 PM   #2
dherman76

That is true - it does block pops. Very handy.
dherman76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2003, 10:54 PM   #3
JFS

very handy?

personally i don't like the idea of google also serving popup blockers
it would give us (webmasters) a even harder time to get reveneu from popups and popunders...
JFS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2003, 11:38 PM   #4
GSE-Media

Yes, it is bad news for those of us that get a portion of our revenue with pops. Now almost every major ISP provides blockers for free, newer browsers block them, and every ad network advertises free ones.

Unfortunately, the popup is soon to be completely dead...
GSE-Media is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2003, 12:15 AM   #5
DarkBlue

Thumbs down

Well it blocked the pop up from GeekVillage.com.
This is going to be interesting
DarkBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2003, 01:28 AM   #6
georgec

I guess it makes sense that Google is incorporating anti-popups to the new Googlebar, as:

1) Most surfers love it
2) It indirectly helps Google's ad buisness, since a decline in pop up ads means more potential revenue for their adwords/context ads.

Obviously like any webmaster that carry pop ups, I don't like it, but what can you do right?
georgec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2003, 06:14 AM   #7
Lil_Red

Hopefully, the ad networks will wake up and realize pops are dead. Probably not though.
Lil_Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2003, 07:41 AM   #8
cheatindex

What exactly constitutes dead for you? It's making me more money than any other type of ad I run.

People don't like it. Some people block it. But as for the moment, its plenty alive. It will probably die off, but claiming its already dead is to premature.
cheatindex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2003, 07:55 AM   #9
Lil_Red

Statistics show it's rapidly going the way of the dinosaur. Almost everything comes with a simple to use popupblocker.

It makes more money than any other ad because it pays a higher rate. If you track the number of pops served today versus a year ago, most people will see they are serving a lot fewer pops now than last year.
Old 06-26-2003, 09:35 AM   #10
cheatindex

But its not dead RIGHT NOW.

I agree that its going to die out, but you claimed its dead now.

Why abandon something that makes money now, because it'll be dead in the future. You have to ride the waves if your going to make money. There will never be *one* standard thing that'll last you through the years.
cheatindex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2003, 12:25 PM   #11
Lil_Red

We've been doing this since 1994. We've seen waves come and go. Pops are dying and ad networks are not testing new formats to replace them.
Old 06-26-2003, 03:09 PM   #12
PaulT

I've decided that now I really dislike pop-ups, mainly because the creatives have been so POOR it's unbelieveable.

I've never really used pops on my site, so I don't really care too much if they do die.
PaulT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2003, 03:59 PM   #13
georgec

If webmasters would only excersise constraint when displaying pop ups, I'm certain the spec would last a lot longer. When I hit a site that displays a pop up for every page, sometimes multiple and without cookies, even I feel like hopping over to the dark side. If a site displays only one pop up, atmost two per user session, most visitors wouldn't be annoyed enough to look for pop up blockers in the first place.

Last edited by georgec; 06-26-2003 at 04:00 PM.
georgec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2003, 04:14 PM   #14
Elemental Thought

I agree georgec. It's a classic example of the Tragedy of the Commons. (Oh man, I'm pulling up grade 12 English references now). The sad fact is, the potential for revenue was abused, and now it's being rendered worthless.

When I started hitting sites that spawned popup after popup, to the point of locking up my computer (this was years ago), it foretold what would happen. I became sick and tired of hitting squatter pages a long time ago as well... these always have popup madness. I have never installed a popup blocker, but I admit I use the pop-under blocking feature of the (non-beta) Google toolbar. I don't know if I want to download the new beta one, because I feel there is a place for legitimate popup use in a non-advertising way, and I use this method on several of my sites for important information/warnings/etc.
Elemental Thought is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2003, 04:23 PM   #15
budsinc
I am a Contributing Geek. Are You?

This is true but now you have advertisers giving away pops for like $2 and less CPMS giving us under $1 CPM net for pops. So we have no opportunity to make good money off them without bombarding. And with banners and skys at a meaily $0.05 cpm what can ya do.

I can also tell you this much, we are working our butts off trying to come up with new ideas to capitalize off things other then pops, and once we do, you will all be invited to join our ad network

Last edited by budsinc; 06-26-2003 at 04:32 PM.
budsinc is offline   Reply With Quote