Webmaster Forum Rules | Posting Guide | Contact Us | Testimonials | Contributing Geek Program | Advertise on Geek/Talk
Welcome to the GeekTalk Webmaster Discussion Forums from GeekVillage.com

Click Here To Register. It's Free!

Go Back   geek/talk: Signature-free discourse for serious web publishers > YOUR PERFORMANCE: Website Promotion, Marketing and Growth > Marketing Your Website Online
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-05-2000, 11:18 PM   #1
1lit

Question Doorway pages + optimization etc. worth it now?

Is it really worth us optimising our webpages to ensure they get a high ranking in the search engines now that most of the major search engines are charging in one way or another to list your site?

At the moment the top three or five positions might be pulled from GoTo in some search engines, but do you think that might be increased to the top ten positions in the near future...?

Otherwise, it will become meaningless to spend hours trying to optimize your website for top rankings. Money will be the only factor that gets you to the top.

I read in another forum that a Search Engine Optimizer was worried he'd be put out of business...

What do you think? I'd be interested to know.

------------------
Nadeem Azam
Litmania.com Inc.
www.litmania.com
1lit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2000, 04:23 AM   #2
Hope

Exclamation

My opinion is to keep optimizing. Trends come and go with search engines. Last year at this time everyone was running to ODP for data because it was free. Some search engines have dropped the ODP data. Inktomi isn't being used as much anymore. Google and GoTo are the choices for data this year. In 6 months it could change to someone else.

The search engines are very fickle right now. They are trying to keep their heads above water and not doing a very good job. This will cause more changes in the future. I say keep optimizing, because you never know what will happen.
Hope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2000, 07:30 AM   #3
LorenBaker

Unhappy

Keep on optimizing.

Look, the listings on Altavista and Lycos are only 3 results. And 9 times out of ten, those eresults are extremely commercial and somethimes have nothing to do with the term.

Searchers are going to get used to seeing the commercial Goto links and not click on them, out of habit of getting more relevant results from the search querie database.

Keeping up on the optimization news isn't that time consuming. I would also focus on building linking partnerships with other sites. Those will both raise your referring traffic and also your link popularity for the search engines.

Loren Baker
http://www.webadvantage.net
Web Ad.vantage, Inc.
LorenBaker is offline   Reply With Quote