Webmaster Forum Rules | Posting Guide | Contact Us | Testimonials | Contributing Geek Program | Advertise on Geek/Talk
Welcome to the GeekTalk Webmaster Discussion Forums from GeekVillage.com

Click Here To Register. It's Free!

Go Back   geek/talk: Signature-free discourse for serious web publishers > YOUR REVENUE: Making Money On The Internet > Making Money with CPC and/or CPM Programs
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-05-2005, 10:00 PM   #1
DougM

Default How do you get this out of AdWords?

I've seen ads like this frequently in recent days on my site. Wide skyscrapers with only one text ad. I'm wondering, If I wanted to run this ad format as an AdWords advertiser, how would I do it?

http://www.japan-101.com/adsense_example.gif
DougM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2005, 10:44 PM   #2
joetec

I believe those are the site targeted CPM ads.
joetec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2005, 10:55 PM   #3
DougM

Ah ha, bet you're right. Must be a hefty CPM to warrant the replacement of 5 text ads. Same with the image ads I suppose. I see fewer of those.
DougM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2005, 11:47 PM   #4
kams7ue

No. Its not necessarily be CPM ads. According to google, it tries to optimize the revenue for your site by 'sometimes' displaying only one ad (normally the best performing ad for your site) in big size. If the returns are better than 5 ads, then it tries to put similar ads, else not.

regards
-kams
kams7ue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2005, 02:57 AM   #5
dRD

This has become a norm on our site and AFAIK, those are not CPM ads, but the "experiments" Google mentioned a short while ago with tweaking their ad display to sometimes show 1 ad, sometimes 2 ads and sometimes N ads and determining which one works best and where.
dRD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2005, 02:48 PM   #6
IARx

I think if it saids "Ads by Google", it's CPM.

But if it's "Ads by Gooooooogle", it's CPC.
IARx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2005, 03:53 PM   #7
Larwee

GeekGuide

IARx, welcome to Geek/Talk.

That is one of the many theories floating around about this, but that isn't true.

Actually the real reason between "Ads by Google" and "Ads by Goooooooooogle" isn't nearly as interesting or as complicated as the theories.

I checked with Google about this a while back and it is just nothing more than testing, and they might do other things besides these two. The idea is to get something that users will remember.

The whole thing is random. Google can't control the sites, ads or pages that receives either of those two or any possible future statements they might use in place of those two. While they might at some point in time have a method to control it, right now it is random.

Last edited by Larwee; 10-06-2005 at 04:02 PM.
Larwee is offline   Reply With Quote