Webmaster Forum Rules | Posting Guide | Contact Us | Testimonials | Contributing Geek Program | Advertise on Geek/Talk
Welcome to the GeekTalk Webmaster Discussion Forums from GeekVillage.com

Click Here To Register. It's Free!

Go Back   geek/talk: Signature-free discourse for serious web publishers > YOUR REVENUE: Making Money On The Internet > Making Money with CPC and/or CPM Programs
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-03-2005, 06:58 AM   #1
dcburnquist

Question New to CPM and CPC -- Please Help!

I'm fairly new to this conept, but it's sparked an interest in me. Being a freshman in college, money is hard to come by and I spend a good majority of my day on the computer. I have the will and ability to get a site started if needed and any starter tips would be great. Anything regarding the most reliable sites to register with, the highest paying sites, or any way of making a decent revenue without going overboard or scaring visitors away would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
dcburnquist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2005, 09:09 AM   #2
Robert from SI
I am a Contributing Geek. Are You?

dc,

Concentrate first on building a site (or network of sites) on a topic that you find interesting and will enjoy (or at least tolerate) spending time on. Poking around a bit on Adwords will give you an idea of the topics that are in demand by advertisers. Try to chose the topic that interests you and has the higher value for advertisers.

You really need to build traffic before you worry about making money from it.

And remember my law: "The ease at bulding traffic to a web site is inversely proportional to the value of said traffic"
Old 10-03-2005, 10:00 AM   #3
Larwee

GeekGuide

Welcome to Geek/Talk, dcburnquist.

From reading what you said in your post, it sounds as if all of this is something new to you. With that in mind I would suggest you to read these two Geek/Talk threads. They contain lots of information that will be very helpful to you if you are just getting started.

The first is Keys to a successful site http://www.geekvillage.com/forums/sh...threadid=27074

The second is Newbie affiliate program selecting tips http://www.geekvillage.com/forums/sh...threadid=26663

These two threads will give you information on what to do to make your site successful and how to go about selecting affiliate programs.

Besides these two threads there is plenty of information in other threads here at Geek/Talk. Explore and you will find much helpful information.

There are some very nice Geek/Talk members as well as many who are very smart. If you have questions or need help, just ask.

Edit: It often helps people if they can get off to a good start. When you get ready to start making money, one of the very first sources you might want to consider is AdSense. This Google offering does very well for most people. It is always my first suggestion. It might not work for you, but you should try it. You can find it here http://www.google.com/adsense

But still make it a point to read those other two threads I mentioned above because the provide some very good information for someone who is just getting started.

Last edited by Larwee; 10-03-2005 at 10:54 AM.
Larwee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2005, 10:05 PM   #4
dcburnquist

Thanks for your insight guys. The information seems very useful and i'll consider all that you have mentioned when the time comes to get started. I'll keep you posted if any problems or questions arise. Thanks again.
dcburnquist is offline   Reply With Quote