Webmaster Forum Rules | Posting Guide | Contact Us | Testimonials | Contributing Geek Program | Advertise on Geek/Talk
Welcome to the GeekTalk Webmaster Discussion Forums from GeekVillage.com

Click Here To Register. It's Free!

Go Back   geek/talk: Signature-free discourse for serious web publishers > YOUR REVENUE: Making Money On The Internet > Making Money with CPC and/or CPM Programs
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-26-2009, 01:02 PM   #1
Amish Patel

Default Experts' Help Wanted - 200,000+ Ad Impressions And Mediocre Revenue

Right guys, I need your help with gettig the maximum revenue out of my Website. I am OK with ad chains etc. but not as good as you guys.

Here we go...

On average, I serve around 200,000 ad views. Somedays more, somedays less.

First in my chain = TribalFusion. I changed the minimum CPM to $0.6 on Sunday (maximum it can be) and my eCPM has increased up to around $1.77 with around 40% fill.

Yesterday, with TF, 221,628 views, 81,369 Paid Views, 36.71% fill - $80 Net Revenue.

Second in chain = ValueClickMedia. I de-select all ads under 30 cents eCPM (not sure whether this should be higher) and yesterday I made $44.20 serving 37,739 through creatives.

Third AdsDaq with minimum CPM at $1 with fill rate at around 20% and $20 revenue. 18,000 paid imps.

Fourth Contextual Market Place with 21,811 impressions, only playing $3.58.

Fifth Direct Media Exchange with 35,731 impressions and only $10 revenue through five different networks, including google ad sense who I setup as default there. In their panel it showed google ad sense making $4, but when i actually logged into my google ad sense account it had 15,178 page impressions and I'd only earnt $1.

So yeah there we have it. I am probably doing things wrong and somehow ended up losing 25,000 page impressions yesterday. My website is a wrestling site so I am only interested in CPM.

I've only just started taking proper interest in optimizing my ad chain and the positives are that since I set the max floor on Tribal, the ecpm/net revenue has been very good, even if the fill hasn't been, and adsdaq seems to have been a good find.

So there we have it, any suggestions from the experts please? I want to completely drop google ad sense as CPC just doesn't work for me, and direct media exchange are doing really poorly too. I just feel that I could be making much more than I currently am. Oh also, I have recently been rejected by both Burst and Casale so they are no goers unfortunately.
Amish Patel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 07:32 AM   #2
kris_pueblos

It'd probably be better if you had your own sales (in house) to get better rates yourself. Cut the middleman out.
kris_pueblos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2009, 12:10 AM   #3
codegeek

Default fine tuning defaults

Here are a couple of things I'd suggest.

Frequency cap the Tribal ads so you can raise their cpm and default the leftovers to Valueclick.

Instead of deselecting the low priced Valueclick ads learn to use the floating defaults they offer.

Proper use of them will allow you to raise those cpms also since you can choose the price and % that you default to each of your lower tier ads.
codegeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 02:39 AM   #4
Jane L

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amish Patel View Post
Right guys, I need your help with gettig the maximum revenue out of my Website. I am OK with ad chains etc. but not as good as you guys.

Here we go...

On average, I serve around 200,000 ad views. Somedays more, somedays less.

First in my chain = TribalFusion. I changed the minimum CPM to $0.6 on Sunday (maximum it can be) and my eCPM has increased up to around $1.77 with around 40% fill.

Yesterday, with TF, 221,628 views, 81,369 Paid Views, 36.71% fill - $80 Net Revenue.

Second in chain = ValueClickMedia. I de-select all ads under 30 cents eCPM (not sure whether this should be higher) and yesterday I made $44.20 serving 37,739 through creatives.

Third AdsDaq with minimum CPM at $1 with fill rate at around 20% and $20 revenue. 18,000 paid imps.

Fourth Contextual Market Place with 21,811 impressions, only playing $3.58.

Fifth Direct Media Exchange with 35,731 impressions and only $10 revenue through five different networks, including google ad sense who I setup as default there. In their panel it showed google ad sense making $4, but when i actually logged into my google ad sense account it had 15,178 page impressions and I'd only earnt $1.

So yeah there we have it. I am probably doing things wrong and somehow ended up losing 25,000 page impressions yesterday. My website is a wrestling site so I am only interested in CPM.

I've only just started taking proper interest in optimizing my ad chain and the positives are that since I set the max floor on Tribal, the ecpm/net revenue has been very good, even if the fill hasn't been, and adsdaq seems to have been a good find.

So there we have it, any suggestions from the experts please? I want to completely drop google ad sense as CPC just doesn't work for me, and direct media exchange are doing really poorly too. I just feel that I could be making much more than I currently am. Oh also, I have recently been rejected by both Burst and Casale so they are no goers unfortunately.
You can build your own ad serving business for your site on the base of, for example, SmartPPC EVO software.SmartPPC EVO (from orbitscripts) ad serving self served software that allows webmasters to solve the two tasks at the same time.
1) Maximize profitability of selling ad places on their sites both to ad networks and to direct advertisers
2) Enable their advertisers with all necessary and familiar (a la Google AdWords) tools for ad campaigns management.
Jane L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 06:05 AM   #5
Amish Patel

Thanks for the suggestions guys!

In terms of selling own ads etc. does anyone have any useful sites to read about tips or any other information? I've worked with ad networks for 9 years so have become very used to that.
Amish Patel is offline   Reply With Quote