Webmaster Forum Rules | Posting Guide | Contact Us | Testimonials | Contributing Geek Program | Advertise on Geek/Talk
Welcome to the GeekTalk Webmaster Discussion Forums from GeekVillage.com

Click Here To Register. It's Free!

Go Back   geek/talk: Signature-free discourse for serious web publishers > YOUR REVENUE: Making Money On The Internet > Making Money with CPC and/or CPM Programs
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-08-2006, 12:40 PM   #61
maxpower

Karma will always sort things out
maxpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2006, 12:01 PM   #62
Alex|Canep Media
I am a Contributing Geek. Are You?

Heh, yea Capone got the slammer for tax law violation above all other things.

There was an anecdote I read somewhere that went something along the lines of Uncle Sam likes his money four times as much as his people, murder in the US can get you 25 years but tax fraud can get you 100.
Alex|Canep Media is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2006, 12:07 PM   #63
cheatindex

Living in Canada though, I can tell you that our tax collectors aren't as strict as those in the US.

If back-taxes are owed, he shall definiately have to pay up; that's not the question. Jail time is unlikely though.
cheatindex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 01:31 AM   #64
earner

Czar02-16-2006, 07:04 AM
This is unbelievable.

I was just watching Australia's first gold medal win in the Torino Winter Olympics and noticed a name that rang a bell. The gold medal winner of the Men's Moguls event was one Dale Begg-Smith, formerly of Canada.

Since this was our country's first gold of these games, Begg-Smith has been receiving a lot of coverage. One of the most intriguing points that has been mentioned is that he is apparently a self-made IT millionaire. That's when the name started to ring an even louder bell.

Dale, in an interview, mentioned that he has a company that helps companies to manage their ad campaigns. Strangely, he said that his company doesn't have a name or a website, but that it works as a team of programmers in the background. He possibly said this so that the press wouldn't pick up on the fact that his company has attracted a questionable reputation within the marketplace. That's right, our Aussie gold medallist is the same Dale Begg-Smith who used to run AdsCPM.com. The same Dale Begg-Smith who used to be a member of Geek/Talk, before being banned back in 2002.

Here's an earlier thread featuring comments from the soon-to-be superstar:
http://www.geekvillage.com/forums/sh...ght=begg-smith

How funny is that!
earner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 09:53 AM   #65
submissionlive

Well, I don't have a blog (poor me, poor me...), but I updated my listing for adscpm.com, to link to this thread (including the name of the former proprietor.)

It is especially bad if/when there is mainstream attention to this industry, that, on-purpose-or-not, gets a focus on the sleazier side. That includes both, "Wow, those folks are making piles of cash from me surfing the Web," and also, "Wow, those folks are ripping each other off."

Last edited by Czar; 01-13-2010 at 04:01 AM. Reason: fake sig
submissionlive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 09:50 PM   #66
marylane

Default Younger then, I guess

How long ago was this? Almost seems like stalking
marylane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 01:27 AM   #67
Czar

Webmaster

This thread started in 2006, and AdsCPM was operating prior to that, before changing names several times and moving underground. The 'stalking' that took place here was basic investigative activity carried out from those who claim to have been harmed by this company, or who were trying to protect others from being infected. Our members wouldn't have chased up this information was it not for the allegation that this company was involved in illegal or highly unethical activity that was directly harming those in our community.

The issue seems to be resolved now. Dale's activities have been under scrtutiny ever since the story broke and almost every biography written on him (including his Wikipedia entry) now includes information about these activities, so it would seem that the spyware/malware distribution activities of this small group of companies will no longer be allowed to continue. At least, hopefully that's how the story will end.

Follow Geek/Talk's Twitter Feed and Facebook Page to stay up to date with new discussion threads and online ad industry highlights.

Important GeekVillage Links: Home | Rules | Posting Guide | Report Trouble | Feedback | Advertise on GV
Czar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 11:21 AM   #68
ForexTrader

I love small world stories! Internet rogue goes Olympic, classic! I am pretty sure that is not in my future

ForexTrader
<link removed, please use sig >

Last edited by Czar; 04-13-2009 at 02:59 AM.
ForexTrader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 01:30 PM   #69
Steve_S
I am a Contributing Geek. Are You?

Question Is Begg-Smith still involved in Spyware?

Although this thread is 4 years old, it warrants a Post because Begg-Smith is back in the news with his ski talents and is about to step onto a much larger world stage when he performs in the Vancouver Canada Olympics in a few weeks.

He previously "renounced" Canada and embraced AU who he still skis for which will introduce a much large dynamic into his 2010 Olypic performance.

Fair questions still remain unanswered from 2006:

1. Is Begg-Smith still/currently involved with Spyware either directly or via a "straw" and or "proxy"?

2. How does Begg-Smith support himself?

3. Why hasen't Begg-Smith ever engaged in an endorsement?

4. Why is Begg-Smith still so secretive and generally refuses to talk with the media?

5. Why hasen't Begg-Smith told the real story with all the details concerning AdsCpm and his spyware involvement?

I'm not the only one who still needs answers.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by Steve_S; 01-12-2010 at 01:32 PM.
Steve_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 03:59 AM   #70
Czar

Webmaster

Have the journalists come knocking again Steve?

Dale is receiving a great deal of coverage in Australia at the moment, with pre-Olympic TV spots talking up the possibility of back-to-back gold medals, so I'm sure this topic will spike in interest once again. So many questions were left unanswered in 2006, despite high profile press coverage from the Sydney Morning Herald and others.

I've personally lost track of the issue and wouldn't like to speculate, but hopefully some of our other members will have insight into whether this alleged activity has been relegated to Dale Begg-Smith's past, or whether his company still has suspected links to the spyware distribution business.

Follow Geek/Talk's Twitter Feed and Facebook Page to stay up to date with new discussion threads and online ad industry highlights.

Important GeekVillage Links: Home | Rules | Posting Guide | Report Trouble | Feedback | Advertise on GV
Czar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 03:09 PM   #71
Gennie32

wow intersting news. thanx for sharing
Gennie32 is offline   Reply With Quote