Webmaster Forum Rules | Posting Guide | Contact Us | Testimonials | Contributing Geek Program | Advertise on Geek/Talk
Welcome to the GeekTalk Webmaster Discussion Forums from GeekVillage.com

Click Here To Register. It's Free!

Go Back   geek/talk: Web publishing business discussion > YOUR REVENUE: Making Money On The Internet > Making Money with CPC and/or CPM Programs
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-13-2001, 11:23 PM   #1
Trommsdorff

Question Difficulty in Getting rid of Burst Popups

Hi all,

I recently asked a few questions about Burst! and got a lot of GREAT answers and recommendations, so I have decided to go with them.

My problem is that I can't seem to get rid of the popups, although for the most part I have. I'm still sort of new to all this and it is still a bit overwhelming. Right now the entire burstmedia.com site is down for me, so forgive my not-exact descriptions. Hopefully Burst! members will know what I'm talking about.

My understanding is this: to deselct the popups, I go into the screen where you can select all the run of the network campains (I have not been selected for any targeted campains). I deselect all the ones that say "popup" or "popunder." Seems a bit tedious, is that how everyone does it?

There is also a place I found where you can set "filters" on the sorts of campaigns you automatically select. Some of the options are gambling ads, popups, risquee ads, CPC, etc. I deselected popups, but still every now and then I get a popup on my site (www.sherdog.com/test.htm).

While we are on the topic of burst, I have a question about the ad code that requires a random number (below the scroll, buttons, cubes). Can I use the same "random" number on all the pages I put the below the scroll banner?

Thanks again to the members of this forum, it's a great resource.
Trommsdorff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2001, 11:34 PM   #2
Czar

Webmaster

Unhappy

What you described is exactly how to manage popups. It's possible that the popups still appearing on your site ar 'left-overs' from the campaigns that were active before you de-selected them. It seems that the changes made within AdDesktop take a few hours to go into effect. If the popups are still appearing after 24 hours, then we may have to dig further.

As for the random number, this should be changed on every page (to avoid caching). This can be done manually, or through an SSI call or a Javascript/PHP solution. I don't have any links to highlight at present, but if you want to go the dynamic route, I'm sure that someone here will be able to point out a handy script to manage this.

------------------
Czar
Czar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2001, 11:41 PM   #3
Trommsdorff

Unhappy

Thanks Czar!

All of my pages are SSI pages and so the SSI call would probably be the easiest route. Since I'm a programming novice (but willing to learn) if anyone can point me to a place where I can learn how to do this with SSI I would appreciate it.
Old 06-13-2001, 11:54 PM   #4
demae

Unhappy

In your SHTML page, write this:

<!--#exec cgi="banner.cgi"-->

Then make a file called banner.cgi and write this in it

#!/usr/bin/perl

my $rand = rand;

print <<"EOF";
Content-type: text/html

Insert Burst code here, putting $rand where you want the random numbers to appear
EOF

Make sure to "chmod 755 rand.cgi".

That should be all you have to do. For a site to learn more about perl, try www.perl.com and www.perl.org.
demae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2001, 09:04 AM   #5
Trommsdorff

Unhappy

Thank you Demae, that worked perfectly!