Webmaster Forum Rules | Posting Guide | Contact Us | Testimonials | Contributing Geek Program | Advertise on Geek/Talk
Welcome to the GeekTalk Webmaster Discussion Forums from GeekVillage.com

Click Here To Register. It's Free!

Go Back   geek/talk: Web publishing business discussion > YOUR REVENUE: Making Money On The Internet > Making Money with CPC and/or CPM Programs
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-10-2001, 06:06 PM   #1
Sarge

Unhappy Popups or Exit Pages.. which is better?

Hi I run dlrarmy.com
I was running banners with allfansnetwork to a tune of 400k impressions a month(cpm 1.00)
and was making good money, but they closed and they owe me 1 grand . I then switched to amazing media, and my rates and impressions dropped with them, and now they are redoing their payments.
I tried cj.com, but because my site is a van halen/davidleeroth site, I couldn't find anythign that could be specialized and make me money.

So.. I have pretty much given up on cpm banners... and I would like to switch to popups or pop behinds or exit popups.

Whcih network is the best? By the best I mean which one will actually pay me instead of cutting my money or going out of business.

I plan on using exit pages, or popups , and blind clicks.

Who pays well and who is the best?

Any advise?

------------------
Skills That Thrill.
http://www.dlrarmy.com
Sarge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2001, 06:58 PM   #2
YeahBuddy

Unhappy

StandardInternet's programs are all of extremely good repute, the support team is fantastic, and you can almost always talk to them in this very forum.

Allclicks.com - .03/click - blind clicks

Popuptraffic.com - 3.00$ CPM popups, 2.00$ CPM popbehinds

Searchtraffic - .06/search - one of the most profitable programs online, with customizable search boxes with very high clickthroughs.

Hope this helps http://geekvillage.com/ubb/biggrin.gif

YeahBuddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2001, 08:49 PM   #3
Drastic

Unhappy

My recommendations:

If you have a loyal users base, or even a considerable percentage of return visitors, don't use exit popups or blind clicks. Blind clicks will cause you to lose visitor trust. People gripe a lot about popups, but they really complain about exit consoles. I have read this many times : "When I leave a site, I want to LEAVE, I can't stand being forced to another site." They seem to understand (regular) popups are part of your revenue, even thought they still dislike them.

You can use simple JS cookies to limit popups per visit/# of days. So instead of your visitor having to close the same popup every time they hit a certain page (super annoying), it pops only once. If they close it once, chances are they will close it every time, probably before it loads.

If you are leery of joining another ad company/network, you can make your own popups. You can use a random link generator and put (approved for popup) affiliate links in the link DB. Then on your JS popup code, just point the href to your random link url. It is as simple as that, you can be up and running your own popups with cookies in just a matter of a few hours, even if you don't know how to code JS from scratch.

Running your own popups this way can net you much more CPM if you target your popups yourself, instead of the ad companies' general interest stuff.

HTH,
Ken

------------------
free personals - Get a hot date today!
Drastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2001, 10:03 PM   #4
Takashi

Unhappy

Hi Ken, I happen to be very very concerned about popups, I really hate popups, but I've notice that ever since I've been running popups my mailing lists have grown bigger alot faster and my CPM went up roof!

But, I've also have gotten complaints about popups, and... they weren't pleasent alright. Anyways, I was thinking of having those JS Cookie style Popups where they only pop up once a week or atleast it's customize-able, anyways, do you know where I can find such JS Cookies? or scripts? I've tried searching around all I can find are really simple JS scripts that will do a regular popup.... which is what I'm using right now...

Thanks for your help! http://geekvillage.com/ubb/smile.gif
Takashi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2001, 10:34 PM   #5
Drastic

Unhappy

Hi Takashi, welcome to Geek/Talk!!

Check out this thread - the last post: http://geekvillage.com/ubb/Forum3/HTML/001774.html
Let me know if you have any questions.

Good luck!

ps - if anyone needs a random link script, a simple one can be found here: http://www.worldwidemart.com/scripts/rand_link.shtml

------------------
free personals - Get a hot date today!
Drastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2001, 11:12 PM   #6
gallery

Thumbs up

I do agree with you : I hate popups and blind links but I use them on my sites.

Why ?
I make a lot of money with them.

From time to time I receive a complain.

But I do not care, my number of visitors has contantly increased aven after I introduced the popups and blind links.

Note also that I will soon launch a business site and of course I will not put any popups or blind links. It depends on the site.
gallery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2001, 08:18 AM   #7
cyburrr
I am a Contributing Geek. Are You?

Unhappy

I agree. It does depend on the site (and its' visitors) When I added an 'exit', I received tons of email - but I've never received anything re: the pop up. I only have it on one of my pages (the most frequented). On another I plan to add a 'go behind'.

I also have to agree with YeahBuddy that you really can't go wrong with SI. Their 'exit' program didn't fit my site (neither did the blind clicks) - but the great thing about them is that they offer something for everyone. And if they don't have it yet - they're likely working on it. While others are floundering - SI is flourishing.
cyburrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2001, 05:53 PM   #8
Takashi

Smile

Wow thanks so much Ken! And yeah, I guess you can see I'm new to the board. http://geekvillage.com/ubb/smile.gif I've been looking for a script like that for a long while now, you're a life saver.

Anyways, does anyone think that using the JS cookie style of popup will affect anything? Because you know, now that the popups are controllable... they're not popping up as much. That means you would get less attention from your visitors... no? http://geekvillage.com/ubb/smile.gif
Takashi is offline   Reply With Quote