Webmaster Forum Rules | Posting Guide | Contact Us | Testimonials | Contributing Geek Program | Advertise on Geek/Talk
Welcome to the GeekTalk Webmaster Discussion Forums from GeekVillage.com

Click Here To Register. It's Free!

Go Back   geek/talk: Web publishing business discussion > YOUR REVENUE: Making Money On The Internet > Making Money with CPC and/or CPM Programs
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-10-2001, 08:16 AM   #1
jwilliams

Post How to get good money from donations?

Hello.

I am webmaster of Mpeg-Search.Com (http://www.mpeg-search.com/) and I do not get any money out of the site though I have 80.000 daily impressions. I have decided to start with a donation reqests on my site. I was thinking of putting a link "Donate Money" in my top menu. Do you think it would perform good? People really like my site so I have good chances to get some. But I wonder if enough people will actually donate.

If you have any examples of successful sites which get most of the revenue with donations please post the urls here.

Another problem :I cannot get an account with paypal because my country is not on their country list (Peace Love Unity Respect. What has happened with Unity here?)

Therefore I need someone who could list a few very good programs who operate like paypal.

Thanks people.
I hope we will open a new discussion about how to earn money with donations.

Last edited by jwilliams; 08-10-2001 at 09:48 AM.
jwilliams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2001, 10:15 AM   #2
coolshop

Regarding donations.....

I've spent the last six years as a web entrepreneur and have always had the mentality that you need to 'appear bigger than you are' to gain credibility.

However, now that the online advertising industry is dead I have begun to change my thinking on that topic. My site is a well-known online shopping directory.

I've decided that the best asset I have is ME -- I think after six years at this I can be considered an expert in online shopping.

This past week I've launched a service called 'Ask Amy', in which shoppers can ask for my personal shopping assistance. I quickly realized that besides the potential for referring shoppers to affiliate sales links, I still need to find a better way to monetize this service.

Last night I added the opportunity for shoppers to leave a 'Virtual Gratuity' (and positioned it as optional) via PayPal or the Amazon Honor System.

I know that I am providing a useful service to these people if I can provide them an answer. It will be interesting to see if/how many people 'leave a tip'.

Here is the Question Page:
http://www.coolshopping.com/personal...ibutor=generic

Here is an example answer Page (Gratuity stuff at the bottom):
http://www.coolshopping.com/ask.php3?id=997428788

Does anyone think this seems too tacky or desperate? Have I gone off the deep end? I am feeling like I can provide a unique, useful service that other big sites can't.
coolshop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2001, 10:38 AM   #3
ezclan

I have been showing boxes for PayPal and Amazon Honor System for a few months. I think I have made $16.

Amazon REALLY sticks it to you.. Not only do they take $1+15%, they also allow the 'giver' to retract his donation for up to 30 days.
ezclan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2001, 11:32 AM   #4
RBs

I tried pay pal donation service thing...
In one week I only raised $17.00......so i decided to reject all 4 visitors donations.
Just so I could proudly say Im the only contributer too my site. Cause if i would have accepted it, endless days n nights of kids ranting and raving about there donation kept the message board alive...

Now, $100+ a week altogether, i would accept. but $17, spare me your insult and keep it...

In other words havent find donations to be very profitable.
RBs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2001, 11:36 AM   #5
RBs

And another thing. Love ya site. Looks real good. But you seem to be using 'Storm Ads' advertising. I havent used them but I am aware that they are indeed the same owners of 'cashsponsors.com' who served ads for a free months and decided to call it quits and not pay anyone.
Im not saying you should quit them, but be cautious.....

o and may I ask where I can get that script. Cause my site is music related. And about 95% of my visitors are aspiring rappers with audios. And I would like to give them free publicity and have a ranking of the top downloaded audio....
Sort of Like mp3.com except no payments.

Thanks.

Last edited by RBs; 08-10-2001 at 11:39 AM.
Old 08-10-2001, 12:58 PM   #6
jwilliams

Thumbs up For Cool Shop.

Thanks for your tips. Your service looks great. Let me know if you make anything out of donations.

I am also interested in your php script you use on your shopping sites. I am a program myself, but frankly I do not have much time those days. Is it possible to buy it?

It is very hard to work with low quality Mp3 traffic. They are mostly interested only in Mp3s so they do not order anything from the site. I was thinking of making an affiliate mini site.
And then give like 4.000 uniques daily to that site. If I would work with text links and on CPC basis it should perform preety well, what do you think?

Luke
Old 08-10-2001, 01:22 PM   #7
coolshop

Hi Luke

Thanks, I will try and remember to post on how the service works out.

Re: the PHP script, that is all home-grown and written by me. It is fairly involved and wouldn't be very easy to make it portable. It involves a lot of data feeds and also XML from third party sites, and a lot of nightly batch processing for sycnchronizing files.

I have been thinking of making the service available for private label or co-branding, but I would need to do a bit of work to enable that.

Not sure what you think about an affiliate mini-site, but I would think it would be important to make it pretty targeted.
Old 08-10-2001, 01:23 PM   #8
StianG

Default StormAds.Com Vs. Cashsponsors.Com

About StormAds. We have to clear up some things as I see.

"StormAds actually runs the same team as Cashsponsors.com.
Cashsponsors.com bankrupt because advertisers, actually advertising companies like Netshelter and Reporting.Net with which Cashsponsors.com has cooperated did not pay 60.000$.
Therefore Cashsponsors.com was not able to pay to all of the clients on time. The truth is that Cashsponsors.com has paid all webmasters who participated in the network around 50% of their revenue already. The rest it will be paid with StormAds.com`s revenue.

StormAds has been registered in July mainly because we want that all our former publishers who participated in Cashsponsors get their money. We are not like AffiliateTarget, DimeClicks or Netshelter. We actually have intention to pay. But we started with 0$ of capital and this has caused that one month of non payment from our advertisers left such a big mark on publishers as well on us. We however have paid for the first 2 months. With StormAds something like that can not happen. We use top quality reliable advertisers. We have changed our system of working therefore we pay 75% of what we make with the advertiser. We also have a minimum CPM cap on banners as well on popups so we will succeed.

All our revenue from StormAds will go for delayed payments of Cashsponsors. "
StianG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2001, 01:24 PM   #9
StianG

Enjoy, StormAds.com Team

Last edited by StianG; 08-10-2001 at 01:27 PM.
StianG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2001, 01:37 PM   #10
jwilliams

Default CoolShop & RBs

Thanks all of you for sharing your experiences.

RBs :
Thanks about good words regarding mpeg-search.com.
The script you are interested in has been made by me.
If you are interested we can make a deal. It will soon be capable also of resolving Mp3`s frequency, bitrate and length.
StormAds are great btw.

Amy :
Affiliate Mini Sites are sites without any real content. Actually just a bunch of good targeted links which lead out to an affiliate sponsor. You can read more about them here :
http://66.33.83.213/forums/showthrea...threadid=11905

The script itself is not very hard as I saw now. You actually only have different categories for which you specify which merchant it will show. I think editing would not be a problem. However if you think that you shouldn`t give out the code, I respect that.

Best Regards,
Luke
Old 08-10-2001, 01:46 PM   #11
coolshop

Hi Luke

The concept of the script that delivers Coolshopping is not that complex, just a hierarchical Yahoo/DMOZ-like structure.

What is complicated, however, is the daily gathering of the data that is the content of the site.

I'm not really in a position to distribute the script at this time, but thanks for asking.
Old 08-10-2001, 02:33 PM   #12
jwilliams

Default I have a problem.

I do not have a credit card therefore I cannot apply to use Amazon`s Donation program.

Are there any programs which do not need a credit card approveal?

Luke
Old 08-11-2001, 01:47 AM   #13
RBs

Quote:
If you are interested we can make a deal.
And what type of deal may that be?