Webmaster Forum Rules | Posting Guide | Contact Us | Testimonials | Contributing Geek Program | Advertise on Geek/Talk
Welcome to the GeekTalk Webmaster Discussion Forums from GeekVillage.com

Click Here To Register. It's Free!

Go Back   geek/talk: Signature-free discourse for serious web publishers > YOUR REVENUE: Making Money On The Internet > Making Money with CPA Programs
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-09-2002, 07:07 AM   #1
robhoran

Default 22000 page views

One of my sites at http://www.funvids.net is currently getting around 22000 page views per day. This drops to around 15000 page views per day at the weekends.

I am currently using FastClick and Banner-Mania as advertisers but I was wondering if anybody had any good advice at using additional programs to make further revenue from this site.

Thanks in advance.
robhoran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2002, 07:55 AM   #2
EvDeon

I suggest to use Adtegrity at the end of your default chain. You will be paid for every page view you get.
EvDeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2002, 08:03 AM   #3
robhoran

Thanks, I will try them, although I had heard about problems with adtegrity on this board.

What I was also looking for where any "sales" or "lead" based programs that may fit my site. I have Marketscore links which generate about USD$50 per month but wanted to know of any otehr suggestions.
Old 10-09-2002, 09:28 AM   #4
Jan

Administrator

You might give www.fineclicks.com a try, they have heaps of merchants at your disposal
Jan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2002, 10:03 AM   #5
Czar

Webmaster

You seem to be doing a good job of monetizing the site at present in regards to the traditional network deals often discussed here.

I see banners, skyscraper, popunders and affiliate text links targeted to your general demographic placed prominently. Great work thus far!

Being that yours is a site likely to consume exceptional quantities of data transfer, though, traditional exchanges may not be sufficient. Still, although it does seem that much of your content is original in the sense that it has been submitted by users and not 'borrowed' from other similar sites, you're unlikely to convert users to a subscription model while so much competitive content is freely available elsewhere.

As such, arguably the best action for you to pursue next would be to look into the possibility of integrating streaming or embedded advertising content within your video clips (perhaps as simple as a still-frame or 5 second AV spot tacked onto the end of the clip).

Much has been said of the burgeoning market for streaming media advertising - largely because of the ease by which creative houses may repurpose existing TV spots for use online - but few have made serious in-roads into the market. This makes it harder to gain representation via a traditional online ad network, but may allow you to attract some attention from media agencies or streaming media technology firms looking to dabble through a case-study buy.

Do you think this would be worth your time?

Follow Geek/Talk's Twitter Feed and Facebook Page to stay up to date with new discussion threads and online ad industry highlights.

Important GeekVillage Links: Home | Rules | Posting Guide | Report Trouble | Feedback | Advertise on GV
Czar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2002, 10:41 AM   #6
robhoran

Thanks Czar for your input and also Jan for the suggestion of FineClicks.

One of the big issues is which adverts appeal to the visitors. The "DueNow" program was supposed to appeal to Students but its fairly new on my site and too early to tell whether it will be affective.

The site certainly consumes bandwidth. It serves up over 12,000 video clips per day. Luckily I can just about cover this with the current revenue (with a tiny profit). However the site is getting busier and the bandwith cost to ad revenue ratio could become unfavourable.

I have had a company contact me recently who provide video streaming services. In return for using their service, they will give me free storage and bandwidth. My concern with using such a service is that I may scare off users who don't want to download "another" plug in to view the clips.

A subscription model would be nice but as you say, it probably wouldn't work out. Most of my clips are TV adverts so it would be nice if one of the ad agencies would pay me to post up their adverts that way.
Old 10-14-2002, 01:55 AM   #7
consent
I am a Contributing Geek. Are You?

Sadly, a subscription model probably won't work, but here's a thought I've been toying with anyhow...

Have your site operational per user ONLY during the hours of 1 - 9 pm. (A javascript using cookies would have to geotarget across time zones.)

The diehard fans who want 24-hour access to your site would have to pay for it.

After hours, all the non-payers would see is the equivalent of an (online) infomercial.

Most TV networks go off the air at a certain time...so there is a kind of precedent.
consent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2002, 03:31 AM   #8
Czar

Webmaster

consent, that's one of the most interesting ideas I've heard in a long time.

I'm not sure that it would work in practice, and may serve instead to turn many people towards competing sites in a similar fashion to restriction by subscription, but it may be worth a trial on select bandwidth-intensive sites.

Follow Geek/Talk's Twitter Feed and Facebook Page to stay up to date with new discussion threads and online ad industry highlights.

Important GeekVillage Links: Home | Rules | Posting Guide | Report Trouble | Feedback | Advertise on GV
Czar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2002, 07:43 AM   #9
mikesgt2

Quote:
Originally posted by consent
A javascript using cookies would have to geotarget across time zones.
Users could delete the cookie. However, technical issues aside, it is a very interesting idea.

BTW... does anybody know what percentage of people actually pay for subscription services?
mikesgt2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2002, 08:10 AM   #10
robhoran

Interesting idea with the "free time" and "paid time" but I still want to stay away from subscription models as it will (most probably) scare off a lot of the users.

However, 10 paying users is better than 1000 free users.

Has anybody had any success (or failures) with subscription based sites?
Old 10-15-2002, 08:27 PM   #11
tmax

I'd recommend Affiliate Fuel and ClickBank. You should be able to find relatable content there and at ClickBank you can pick the most popular programs.

tmax
tmax is offline   Reply With Quote