Webmaster Forum Rules | Posting Guide | Contact Us | Testimonials | Contributing Geek Program | Advertise on Geek/Talk
Welcome to the GeekTalk Webmaster Discussion Forums from GeekVillage.com

Click Here To Register. It's Free!

Go Back   geek/talk: Signature-free discourse for serious web publishers > YOUR REVENUE: Making Money On The Internet > Making Money with CPA Programs
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-24-2005, 12:46 AM   #1
ccole
I am a Contributing Geek. Are You?

Default Making money with Game Servers?

I see dedicated server companies selling "Game Servers" more and more now. They are generally more expensive, and there seems to be something 'special' about them. This would infer that the demand for game servers is increasing.

My question is: how do you make money off a game server? I've tried thinking of a way, but I just don't understand how paying $200/month and hosting counterstrike games on your server can earn you money.

Can anyone enlighten me on this one? Thanks!
Old 06-24-2005, 03:17 PM   #2
fusionhosting

Most of the "companies" you see pop up offering Game Servers or slots are nothing more than one man operations with a underage kid running them.

There's a list of about 40 game server providers that have failed in this last year alone.

Your bandwidth has to be top notch from companies like Internap, Level3, Mzima, Savvis, with peering to major broadband providers and your customers will expect nothing less.

Oh and your customers? Try to compete on price and you get the worst of the bunch, kids using their parents CC that'll complain when their ping goes from 45 to 55, or cancel when a competitor offers the same plan for $1 less. So expect a lot of chargebacks, non paying customers, etc.

It's a tough business and one only a few companies do well with owners that understand it and love doing it. The rest of mostly fly by night operations that fold up shop eventually.

Personally I just stick to dedicated's and colo, I use premium BGP bandwidth w/t L(3)/Savvis anyway, and Dell Dual Xeon servers, so if someone did want to run and manage their own gameserver on my equipment they could, I just don't offer control panels for it, or brand my services for it.

Last edited by fusionhosting; 06-24-2005 at 03:17 PM.
fusionhosting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2005, 03:18 PM   #3
Rivux

He was asking how does the company who rents the servers make money from hosting games. Not about the company the servers are being rented from.
Rivux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2005, 04:56 PM   #4
fusionhosting

Doesn't seem that complicated to me, but here ya go.

If you're trying to be a game server provider and are paying $200/mo for your dedicated server, you either need to rent that full server for more than $200/mo, or host individual games such as Counterstrike Source, Battlefield 2, etc on a per "slot" basis.

So if a customer signs up and wants a Battlefield 2 server with 32 player slots, you charge them around $150/mo.

The only question is how many more games can you run on that server in order to make a profit. A lot of the newer games like BF2 can use up the majority of your cpu/mem/bandwidth.

Generally a player slot for any game will run $2-5/mo depending on how much resources it uses.

You might be able to upsell a customer on things like voice servers, but most GSP's throw extra features like that or web hosting in for free.
Old 07-04-2005, 05:26 PM   #5
lmergen

Quote:
Originally posted by fusionhosting
The only question is how many more games can you run on that server in order to make a profit. A lot of the newer games like BF2 can use up the majority of your cpu/mem/bandwidth.
Exactly... when you have multiple customers, all you should (well, must actually) think of is the peaks. The server should never ever hog up during one of the peak times... and well, most online games being very sensitive and all, you quickly run out of slots to rent, which makes competing on the price a very hard business...

A lot of those game-slot renting companies over here ( The Netherlands ) are hosted by students living on University campusses anyway... they are the ones with a fast connection, and only need to buy the hardware once. And heck, they're usually game addicts themselves...
lmergen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2005, 05:49 PM   #6
wizardpirate

Two points here.

First of all you guys are ansering the wrong question. He is asking if he (or anyone) rented a game server to host a game, how would they make money as the game hoster. In other words, the how does the going doing the renting make money, not the owner who is renting out. Your looking at the wrong side.

My second point is off topic.

Why is it that in the last year or so I have been hearing people suddenly use the word "infer" like it's the new hot big word and they want to sound sophisticated. It wouldn't matter except about 70% of the time they are using the word wrong which really makes them look stupid and pathetic.

And yes, you did you the word wrong, "infer" does not fit the context in which you used it.
wizardpirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2005, 05:36 AM   #7
lmergen

Quote:
Originally posted by wizardpirate
Why is it that in the last year or so I have been hearing people suddenly use the word "infer" like it's the new hot big word and they want to sound sophisticated. It wouldn't matter except about 70% of the time they are using the word wrong which really makes them look stupid and pathetic.
You sound tired and overworked. Maybe you need a good sleep this night ?

Just a suggestion...
lmergen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2005, 01:59 PM   #8
fusionhosting

Quote:
Originally posted by wizardpirate
Two points here.

First of all you guys are ansering the wrong question. He is asking if he (or anyone) rented a game server to host a game, how would they make money as the game hoster. In other words, the how does the going doing the renting make money, not the owner who is renting out. Your looking at the wrong side.
I think it's best left to the OP to request further clarification on his question if he doesn't feel it was answered correctly, as I've covered the point well enough.

Your point doesn't even make sense, if he's renting a server as a customer running games and not reselling slots or the server itself or it doesn't support reselling via the control panel, he wouldn't be making any money on it.

His original post was how do you pay $200/month for a dedicated server hosting counterstrike games and make money on it. The only two ways are to resell the server itself for a profit, or sell a portion of its resources (slots) to cover part of its cost or for a profit.
Old 07-23-2005, 04:01 AM   #9
ccole

Hmm, a much more involved discussion than I had anticipated, lol.

Most people got it right - I was asking how you get a dedicated server for $200/month and actually make money off of it by hosting games. I guess its just a little crazy to think that you can get clans of 15 year olds to pay monthly rent on a counterstrike server for their scrimages - but I guess they do!

<off-topic>
First of all wizard, I believe you could have pointed out my use of the word "infer" without trying to offend (I look stupid and pathetic?). Good thing it didn't work (I'm just mostly disappointed in bad manners). I could point out your own bad grammer or the strangeness of bringing back a post weeks old to say that....but I won't go into it

And second, lets define... in∑fer: To conclude from evidence or premises.... As you see in my first post, I defined my evidence and gave my inference from it.

Thats my two sense anyway
</off-topic>

Last edited by ccole; 07-23-2005 at 04:11 AM.
ccole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2005, 04:07 AM   #10
ccole

Anybody here actually make money off game servers by the way? I'm interested to know about it....how does it do compared with other types of making money on the internet, etc.? I guess thats a little off topic for the forum....but its on topic with the thread
Old 07-24-2005, 02:11 PM   #11
wizardpirate

Wrong. "This would infer that the demand for game servers is increasing."

your can't project inference outwards. YOU can infer, however you can not project inference outwards to others.

You can say the same statement changing infer to imply. Then the person reasing the statement can infer that the demand for game servers is increasing.
wizardpirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2005, 06:35 PM   #12
Czar

Webmaster

As much as we all appreciate good grammar on this BB, it would be of far greater benefit to the community if this thread was allowed to remain on topic.

Thanks in advance for your anticipated cooperation.

Follow Geek/Talk's Twitter Feed and Facebook Page to stay up to date with new discussion threads and online ad industry highlights.

Important GeekVillage Links: Home | Rules | Posting Guide | Report Trouble | Feedback | Advertise on GV
Czar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2005, 11:22 PM   #13
wsz

My immediate thoughts:

Games = Mostly kids without credit cards

OTOH, the adult game-fans seem to be willing to spend lots of cash on joysticks, video cards, etc.

Solutions:

1. Sell sponsorships. The advertiser's banner will be shown thousands of times per day, for a month, thus burning thier brand into the minds of gamers. That includes 15-year-olds who will spand their allowance in cash at the local computer store, for a hot new game.

2. Some kind of contextual links or other navigation that appeals to the grown-ups with credit cards. This would funnel players to relevant CPA offers.
wsz is offline   Reply With Quote