Webmaster Forum Rules | Posting Guide | Contact Us | Testimonials | Contributing Geek Program | Advertise on Geek/Talk
Welcome to the GeekTalk Webmaster Discussion Forums from GeekVillage.com

Click Here To Register. It's Free!

Go Back   geek/talk: Signature-free discourse for serious web publishers > YOUR PERFORMANCE: Website Promotion, Marketing and Growth > Marketing Your Website Online
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-05-2001, 01:02 AM   #1
krink1

Lightbulb Question on new search engine

I found a new search engine today and it seems to have kind of a new concept going. I wanted to get some opinions on this. Its not opened yet but it was emailed to me by a friend that saw it as an advertising opportunity for me. I guess its owned by a friend of his. I don't want to mention the name because I don't want to be accused of spamming. Anyway, the search engine has kind of a community theme going.

It gives you a personal web page that you have to link somewhere accessible to your website. This page links to a search engine and also carries about 100 other members links. They run a couple banners on the page but according to them they aren't using the page for any other advertising except getting other webmasters to add their listing.

My first concern was that they were trying to sell the traffic they collected but I was assured by a trusted friend that he has known the owner for a few years and that he is very serious about creating a real, credible search engine and has already said that he will not be doing that so I trust that he is telling the truth.

Anyway, everytime you send someone to this page they give you, it increases your rankings under the keywords you chose to be listed under. If you send more than anyone else using your keyword then you get the top listing for that keyword. According to my friend he is looking for ways to send his own traffic into the search engine so there is more traffic to be had than what the members send in personally. But he also admits that most of the traffic will be coming from members in the beginning. By members I mean webmasters that place their site in the listings.

From there they allow that surfer to click a link on their front page to a member's site (and occassionally a sponsor through a banner) or they can use the search engine to find a member's site that they are interested in. Kind of like a giant searchable toplist I guess. They allow you to use any five keywords for free as long as they are relevant and if you want more then you can purchase them on a daily basis for 30 cents each.

They also have their own banner exchange that gives you a 1:1 ratio if you pay a $1 per day premier membership fee. If you are a free member it has a normal 2:1. This $1 premier membership fee also gives you five extra keywords, banner space on your page for anything non adult you want to advertise, and a couple other things.

There are some other options and features but I jsut wanted to give you the basic idea. I was just wondering what some of your opinions are on a site like this. Do you think it is worth advertising with? I'm not worried about it being a **** because I trust my buddy's knowlege and he says he knows the guy well. Plus I have looked it over very well and it looks very legit.

However, I was wondering how other people felt about a search engine that is fed visitors by its advertisers in exchange for a good listing. It seems like it could be good but I'm not sure. What are some of your opinions.

Honestly, this website was brought to my attention because they wanted my opinion and I told them that I would look it over and give it to them but I have found it rather interesting and I am now very curious what other webmasters have to say about this. Is this something that any of you would be interested in joining?

It seems to me that the only cost if you only want to be listed under five keywords is a link from your site to them in which they will link back to you for. Seems to me that it is no different than linking to a partner site which some of us do without even a link returning our sites.

At least this way they give you incentive to send people in because unlike losing them to a neighboring site, they will at least give you a better chance at getting a replacement. Anyway, I think its a good idea. If you have an opinion please post it or shoot me an email. The address is krink11@aol.com. Thanks.

Best Regards,
Kris
krink1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2001, 11:49 AM   #2
surfy

Hi,
This sounds like several bad ideas to me.
Bye, Daniel
surfy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2001, 04:23 PM   #3
tymeracer

Default New SE - Old bad idea

I agree - this is a REALLY BAD idea
tymeracer is offline   Reply With Quote