Webmaster Forum Rules | Posting Guide | Contact Us | Testimonials | Contributing Geek Program | Advertise on Geek/Talk
Welcome to the GeekTalk Webmaster Discussion Forums from GeekVillage.com

Click Here To Register. It's Free!

Go Back   geek/talk: Signature-free discourse for serious web publishers > YOUR REVENUE: Making Money On The Internet > Making Money with CPC and/or CPM Programs
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-31-2000, 06:50 PM   #1
Aaron Dragushan

Thumbs down Commission Junction shiny new merchant agreement

CJ has decided it's time to renegotiate, and from the looks of it, we merchants have 14 days to accept the new terms, and fork over a fresh version of their "Network Access" fee.

This fee is now a yearly event, although it "includes two years of access". So every year, we have to pay for another two years of access. :P
http://members.cj.com/sign-up/Mercha..._Agreement.asp

So to sum up (and correct me if I'm wrong, here)

- they just got tens of millions in funding
- their tracking performance is going to the dogs
- and now they want more money from the very merchants who give them 100% of their income?

Huh?
Aaron Dragushan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2000, 07:08 PM   #2
WildComputer

Unhappy

Aaron did you spot any other changes?

I e-mailed them to confirm if there were any

Should have printed the old one

------------------
WildComputer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2000, 07:44 PM   #3
Aaron Dragushan

Unhappy

I suspect they added some more forceful language to do with deadbeat merchants and people using CJ to promote "****my" sites (they now require a privacy policy, for example)

I haven't gone over it with a fine-tooth comb though... These are good changes, and I applaud them. It's the 14 days to decide and fork over $800 US that jerks my chain. http://geekvillage.com/ubb/frown.gif

Perhaps a CJ rep will visit the board... ?
Old 06-01-2000, 12:47 AM   #4
WildComputer

Unhappy

Are we talking about section 1.2 ?

If yes, the way I read it that you pay the $800 each year rather than now.

...but it's totally unclear as 1.2 says

"On each anniversary of the Live Activation Date of this Agreement, You shall pay Commission Junction an additional Network Access Fee specified from time to time at http://www.cj.com/merchant/mer_pay.asp. "

but http://www.cj.com/merchant/mer_pay.asp says 2 years access like you said.

So does that mean $800 every anniversary,e very 2 years or ?
Old 06-01-2000, 08:39 AM   #5
havaloc

Unhappy

Oops, never mind.

------------------
Click4profit.com Earning Revenue on the Web.

[This message has been edited by havaloc (edited 06-01-2000).]
havaloc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2000, 01:31 PM   #6
WildComputer

Unhappy

Aaron - speak to your account rep for clarification on NAFs

I spoke to mine today and am much clearer about a whole host of issues including this one.

Based on this conversation I understand the initial NAF is for 2 years, and then it's annual there-after. If you like at the mer_pay.asp it does actually say that sort-of although it is less than crystal clear.

I have asked for written clarification of NAF policies.

BTW my account rep viewed this page while I was on the phone to him. Somebody from CJ may post, but no guarantees.
Old 06-01-2000, 01:57 PM   #7
Ben

Unhappy

It has been brought to my attention our recent service agreement update has created some confusion.

To clear things up:
1) Reviewing the service agreement within 14 days is based on our desire to afford merchants a reasonable amount of time to review the agreement before it goes into effect.

2) The changes do not require "forking over a fresh version of the Network Access Fee" for existing merchants before their initial two year agreement is expired. Sometime later this month another revision will be made changing our two year fee to an annual fee of a different amount.

3) I agree that section 1.2 is confusing and I have brought this to the attention of another staff member here at Commission Junction.

4) Please specify how you feel Commission Junctions "tracking performance is going to the dogs". Even though I work with a large portion of our merchants on a daily basis I have not heard of this.

In the future please feel free to send any questions you have about Commission Junction to us for a prompt response

Ben

------------------
Ben Kiblinger
Manager of International Member Services
Commission Junction
Ben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2000, 02:02 PM   #8
Edwin

Unhappy

Ben, you may wish to read the following thread which may shed some light on comments made here: http://geekvillage.com/ubb/Forum4/HTML/002710.html

Incidentally, I have not problems to report personally... in fact the company I'm in is about to become a CJ merchant! So I hope that the problems mentioned in this forum turn out to be one-off issues...

Edwin

------------------
Free Email Address Directory: 1,000+ free email services. http://www.emailaddresses.com/
Edwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2000, 02:10 PM   #9
Aaron Dragushan

Unhappy

Ben,

Thanks for taking the time to visit the forum to explain the contract - many people will appreciate that.

What concerned me originally was that it seemed to me (I am happily mistaken) that 3 or 4 months after joining CJ, I was going to have to purchase access again. If that's not the case, I have no problems. http://geekvillage.com/ubb/smile.gif

I've been more than happy with the service (as you will note from my other posts, and recommendations of CJ) and it is an integral part of my business.

I do applaud your more stringent requirements of merchants - the credibility of the industry as a whole will improve as a result.

- Aaron
Old 06-01-2000, 03:29 PM   #10
WildComputer

Unhappy

Ben thank you for taking the time to post

There are a few other CJ merchants, possible future merchants, and many affiliates, who are members of Steve's board here, so I am sure the clarification is very much appreciated by all of these

Sunil
Old 06-01-2000, 03:39 PM   #11
Ben

Smile

I'm glad my response has been helpful. This is one of the better Message Boards I have seen and I will try to visit every now and then.

I just came out of a special meeting about our new service agreement and the primary target of it is to improve the integrity of the Commission Junction Network. A part of being a trusted third party service is to have a service agreement that is strong to make sure merchants and affiliates have their expectations met.

In addition to the new service agreement soon we will be posting a rules and regulations section that will provide more specific guidelines that should help the network to run more smoothly. This will be included on our website shortly after CJ 5.0 is launched in a week or two.

------------------
Ben Kiblinger
Manager of International Member Services
Commission Junction
Ben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2000, 05:05 PM   #12
fairhousing
Member.

Lightbulb

one thing i've notice about cj is that they have good customer support (some other programs have no support), which is demostrated by a rep posting here.

------------------
Click 4 some tested resources for making money $, hosting, and web promotion.
My Site Got Hacked, But I'm Coming Back?
fairhousing is offline   Reply With Quote