Webmaster Forum Rules | Posting Guide | Contact Us | Testimonials | Contributing Geek Program | Advertise on Geek/Talk
Welcome to the GeekTalk Webmaster Discussion Forums from GeekVillage.com

Click Here To Register. It's Free!

Go Back   geek/talk: Signature-free discourse for serious web publishers > YOUR CREATION: Building & Maintaining A Web Site > Web Design and Webmaster Issues
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-09-2000, 07:12 PM   #1
justjeni

Exclamation HELP??? Could you would you please?

I hope I'm not over stepping my bounds here but I am so desperate! I received some excellent advice and input from some of you on this forum so lucky you - I'm back with another appeal!! So get to it, right?? :-).
Okay, I have a website that was put up for me, but am now pretty much on my own. My problem is, I don't know how to run the site at all. I cannot figure out how to add links, or make changes or add features...well, everything it takes, basically. I have so many plans and ideas...can anyone give me tips on how one adds links, updates pages etc., or perhaps tell me where I could find some help on the net? I'm really all alone here in this and don't know a soul that I can turn to for help. I have WS_FTP, which I've found oodles of info on and printed a ton of it to help me with that. And I have a whole book and other net resources on HTML code, with a basic understanding of the HTML (the FTP program I'm just learning). But when I attempt to make any additions of links or whatever, I'm lost. I tried the other night and totally wiped out my site. The webmaster, thankfully, was on hand via email and was kind enough to fix it pronto, but I really want to avoid this mess again.
Okay, I've prattled on enough. If anyone can give me any tips at all, I'd so greatly appreciate it - even if it's just a referrel as to where I can get this help.
Jeni
justjeni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2000, 09:38 PM   #2
mlbs2000
Member.

Unhappy

Ok first of all, if you really wan help you should get an instant messenger, I reccomend http://www.aim.com or http://www.icq.com This is so that people can contact you, just as if you were on a phone, but word chat type. It's much quiker than e-mail. Then some people can help you more like that, and even send you files. It is hard to teach someone html, I actualy figured it out from getting a webpage, using the Site builder, then fiddling with the html code. There are programs that make html codes for you, just make your page and there you are. I reccomend Frontpage, not that I use it http://geekvillage.com/ubb/smile.gif. Anyway, you should start writing content for pages and saving them, and then reply again http://geekvillage.com/ubb/smile.gif. I think no-one is to old or young t learn html though.

------------------
From Mafyou/MLBS2000[*]Webpage: Anime Gaming Gold[*]E-mail: mlbs2000@psypoke.com [*]ICQ: 74466003[*]AIM/AOL: Mafyou54
[*]:: Anime Gaming Gold, Your Source for Anime and Gaming on the Net ::
Pokémon, Dragonball, Digimon, Zelda, Monster Rancher, Gundam Wing, Evangelion, Sailormoon, Card Captors, South Park, Blizzard Studios (Warcraft, Starcraft, Diablo), Perfect Dark and The Simpsons
mlbs2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2000, 06:52 PM   #3
justjeni

Wink

[quote]Originally posted by mlbs2000:

Thank you mlbs2000! I do have ICQ, but don't use it much. I only have 3 contacts. Anyway, it isn't the HTML I need help with, but I sincerely thank you for your reply and advice. I need help learning how to make changes, add links, keep my site updated, add content etc. I do have the basics down on HTML and think I can build a page with the book I have but I wiped out my whole site the other night trying to add a simple text link! So you see, I'm lost when it comes to that. I do have Frontpage, also.
Any other suggestions? Thanks...oh, how would I use ICQ to get some help? I've only used it for chatting with a couple people.
Thanks again...very much!
Jeni
Old 07-10-2000, 10:22 PM   #4
aircav

Unhappy

[quote]Originally posted by justjeni:
Quote:
Originally posted by mlbs2000:

it isn't the HTML I need help with,

Jeni
Personally Jeni I think that with a good basic knowledge of HTML you can do what you are refering to. That is to make changes to text links, insert and delete links, add images etc. etc. All of that and more is within the scope of HTML. When you said that you wiped out your website making a text link change was that due to an error in HTML coding or due to an upload procedure error -ie. wiping out a directory or changing file format.

I use FrontPage 2000 to maintain my site but without a good basic knowledge of HTML FrontPage would have been useless for me.

A book that is always within arms reach that has helped me a lot is HTML 4 Unleashed -Proffessional Reference Edition publish by sams.net. It was printed in 1997 but it still answers a lot of question that I come up with.

I know that I didn't answer your technical question but I hope steer you back to the books on HTML.

See Ya

Aircav
aircav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2000, 06:07 AM   #5
cyburrr
I am a Contributing Geek. Are You?

Unhappy

The first thing I'd recommend is backing up each of your html files (pages) - maybe just add the word backup to each one. Then at least if disaster strikes you can revert to the old site.

Also, if you go slightly beyond the basics of HTML, you'll easily be able to do what you need. I've worked in both Front Page and Dreamweaver, but frequently work in just Notepad.

Decide whether you want to concentrate on FrontPage or HTML first, then be prepared to set some hours aside to study up. Type in either subject +tutorials, and bookmark the ones you think you might benefit most from.

Good luck!
cyburrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2000, 04:38 PM   #6
adland

Unhappy

Quote:
I wiped out my whole site the other night trying to add a simple text link!
It's hard to analyze what you're doing...but to add a text link you would make the change to the existing file that's on your computer, then upload the entire file - overwriting the file with the same name on the server.

adland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2000, 06:01 PM   #7
justjeni

Unhappy

Aircav,
Thank you! So basically you are saying I should first get more familiar with using HTML and then perhaps it will be clearer to me as to what I need to do? Okay, that makes perfect sense! I thought I could just go into my sight files and make changes before I got HTML down...DUH...haha. Newbies, huh! Thank again. I appreciate the advice very much and will heed it!

Old 07-11-2000, 06:05 PM   #8
justjeni

Unhappy

Thanks cyburr! Your answer corresponds with aircav's - I see now I need to master HTML - or at least get a better understanding of along with learning how to use it. It appears you're both saying this will help me with other applications. Whew. I've been just totally lost and really, this helps a lot. I do have a book here and another one was recommended which I'll check into, plus I'll look on the net. Surely, with 3 sources I should get this, right! It doesn't appear all that difficult from what I see, just a lot to remember. I know I'll be spending quite a bit of time on this, but I'm more than willing! I appreciate your reply very, very much...and I hope your wish of good luck comes true for me!
Jeni
Old 07-11-2000, 06:08 PM   #9
justjeni

Wink

Adland,
Oh how I wish I knew what I was doing, too!! I don't have a clue what I did that night, but I wrote my server and they did say that they had some software problems and this may have contributed to my problem. Since I don't understand myself, I really don't know if that was the case, but it made me feel a bit better!
I do have a back up of my site, but I don't yet know how to use it! I know, I must sound like a major dummy, but I'll get there yet! Then perhaps I can help others. I would enjoy that.
Thanks so much for the reply. You've all been very kind and understanding.
Jeni

Old 07-11-2000, 09:05 PM   #10
mlbs2000
Member.

Unhappy

You should be able to find one age and change the text ok? Then it'll be kinda easy. It would be easier to use SSI so you dont have to go over all your pages when you make new ones.

------------------
From Mafyou/MLBS2000[*]Webpage: Anime Gaming Gold[*]E-mail: mlbs2000@psypoke.com [*]ICQ: 74466003[*]AIM/AOL: Mafyou54
[*]:: Anime Gaming Gold, Your Source for Anime and Gaming on the Net ::
Pokémon, Dragonball, Digimon, Zelda, Monster Rancher, Gundam Wing, Evangelion, Sailormoon, Card Captors, South Park, Blizzard Studios (Warcraft, Starcraft, Diablo), Perfect Dark and The Simpsons
mlbs2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2000, 04:55 AM   #11
cyburrr
I am a Contributing Geek. Are You?

Unhappy

One last piece of advice I forgot to mention. Check your page in Netscape and different screen sizes. I can't tell you how many times I've got a page looking great in IE...only to see it butchered in Netscape, or a smaller screen size *sigh*...and I learned the hard way that not closing a table results in a completely blank screen in Netscape (grrrrr)
cyburrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2000, 01:27 PM   #12
justjeni

Red face

<It would be easier to use SSI so you dont have to go over all your pages when you make new ones.>

Oh dear...what is SSI???? Thanks!
Jeni

Old 07-12-2000, 01:32 PM   #13
justjeni

Exclamation

Check your page in Netscape and different screen sizes.
May I ask you how one does this? Gulp.

.and I learned the hard way that not closing a table results in a completely blank screen in Netscape
closing a table? I'm picking your brains here, aren't I?!?! Sorry, but I don't know what this means, either.
I did print out a ton of info on HTML last night and plan to start right from the beginning...maybe some of this will be more clear to me as I go - hope so anyway!
And again, thank you so much.
Jeni
P.S. You guys/gals are the best!

Old 07-13-2000, 05:28 PM   #14
Kev I V

Unhappy

Jeni -

try www.webmonkey.com for some excellent tutorials on HTML. They're quicker than and textbook, and a lot more fun. You'll learn everything you need to know about HTML, and the rest can be done thru an IDE, like Frontpage.

also, download netscape from http://home.netscape.com/download if you haven't alredy. For most pages you can make simple changes, like adding links, simply by clicking File -> Edit Page when you're at the page. Then it has an upload command built right in, that makes it easy.

One word of warning though - dont use Netscape to modify something made in FrontPage... it just doesnt work! They hate each other!!

- Kevin
Kev I V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2000, 05:36 PM   #15
justjeni

Wink

Thank you Kev, so much for the links. This netscape business I'm not sure I understand and is something I hadn't even thought of yet, so I thank you for the advice and warning...two of you now have mentioned netscape and if you hadn't I wouldn't have even tried to figure that end of things out. I'm not real clear on what you mean, but maybe once I learn more I'll understand. No, not maybe, I have to!! :-).
Thanks again, I don't know how to say enough how much I appreciate the tips and advice...I just am feeling so alone out here!! Or I should say, I WAS feeling so alone out here.
Blessings,
Jeni

try www.webmonkey.com for some excellent tutorials on HTML. They're quicker than and textbook, and a lot more fun. You'll learn everything you need to know about HTML, and the rest can be done thru an IDE, like Frontpage.

also, download netscape from http://home.netscape.com/download if you haven't alredy. For most pages you can make simple changes, like adding links, simply by clicking File -> Edit Page when you're at the page. Then it has an upload command built right in, that makes it easy.

One word of warning though - dont use Netscape to modify something made in FrontPage... it just doesnt work! They hate each other!!

- Kevin[/b][/quote]