Webmaster Forum Rules | Posting Guide | Contact Us | Testimonials | Contributing Geek Program | Advertise on Geek/Talk
Welcome to the GeekTalk Webmaster Discussion Forums from GeekVillage.com

Click Here To Register. It's Free!

Go Back   geek/talk: Web publishing business discussion > YOUR REVENUE: Making Money On The Internet > Making Money with CPC and/or CPM Programs
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-17-2001, 07:11 PM   #1
Manos

Unhappy Advertising.com "AdLearn" technology

Hey everyone. I was approached by Advertising.com at the end of last month, and was excited to join them. I've been using their ads in my weekly newsletter since.

2 weeks ago I got a notice saying that they were changing their advertising to use their new "AdLearn" technology, which monitors the ad performance and "optimizes" the payout for your newsletters after 36 hours. So for an ad that pays $0.15 CPC, that rate is gauranteed for 36 hours, and after that it is changed by their "AdLearn" system to something else.

Last week I ran an ad at $0.15 CPC. After 36 hours, it dropped to $0.06 CPC. After 2 days, it was $0.00.

My question is, is anyone actually making MORE money with their AdLearn "optimization" technology, or is it just an excuse to give their publishers the shaft???
Manos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2001, 02:53 AM   #2
ryanw

I've gotten only a few 0 cent clicks since they have started that, so it hasn't affected me much. I haven't seen any positive increase in a campaign's CPC rate though.
ryanw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2001, 01:41 PM   #3
drbones

Default Adlearn

I'm not too happy about some of my higher performing ads dropping down to half the price and one changing over to CPA all together because of adlearn...
However I'm more concerned with not paying attention to how many units are left... yesterday it said the estimated end date of a campaign I was running was the 19th.. i sent them like 150 FREE clicks cuz it ended early! DOH!!! It looked like there was going to be enough left too...
Thats like over $20 down the crapper..
oh well..
drbones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2001, 01:48 PM   #4
a1022

Unhappy

Revenue has dropped to about half of what it used to be since the "AdLearn" stuff kicked in. It's just another excuse to pay us less. I don't know why Advertising.com did it as it most likely lower their profits too.
a1022 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2001, 01:53 PM   #5
Lil_Red

Quote:
Originally posted by a1022
Revenue has dropped to about half of what it used to be since the "AdLearn" stuff kicked in. It's just another excuse to pay us less. I don't know why Advertising.com did it as it most likely lower their profits too.
It would actually increase their profits since they are still getting the same amount from the advertiser and paying less to the publishers.
Lil_Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2001, 02:22 PM   #6
a1022

Are you serious? OMG... That's just great. Right now they don't have much of a competition and we publishers don't have any where else to go to. Or is there?
a1022 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2001, 02:38 AM   #7
Calvin888

Advertising.com sometimes get ads from their sponsers at cpa/cpm basis and they take a risk by offering tem to us at cpc bases.
They installed the 36hrs to help them from overpaying affiliates.
They were losing money by not implimenting the 36hrs.
I personally dont like it, but Ive been running alot of cpa ads and revenue has been quite good. I cleared 648 at advertising.com yesterday on one of my bigger mailing list. The other 2 smaller ones clear between 50-100 daily.

Usually I send out cpa ads to AOL members only because from what I understand, they dont pay for aol cpc clicks. Anyway, when I do real well with it and they change it to a cpc ad, I blast the cpc ad out to non aol members. This way, my conversion always looks good. Ive made bonuses 1375 in bonuses last month on cpa ads. Too bad they discontinued it. I made them over $2000 within 4 days running cpa ads. Anyway, Ive inquired them about my conversion and they told me it was quite good. Ofcourse, Ive also spent tons of money on promotions.

Hope this helped,
Calvin888 is offline   Reply With Quote