Webmaster Forum Rules | Posting Guide | Contact Us | Testimonials | Contributing Geek Program | Advertise on Geek/Talk
Welcome to the GeekTalk Webmaster Discussion Forums from GeekVillage.com

Click Here To Register. It's Free!

Go Back   geek/talk: Web publishing business discussion > YOUR PERFORMANCE: Website Promotion, Marketing and Growth > Business Principles > Traditional (Offline) Marketing
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-15-2001, 09:31 PM   #1
Webmaster5000

Unhappy Cold calls

Has anyone ever experimented with "cold calling" (or emailing) companies that might have interest in advertising on your site? If so, was it successful?

Any kind of result would be helpful (banner ad sales, buttons, sponsorships, etc) to know about.
Webmaster5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2001, 11:29 PM   #2
hobbnet

Unhappy

Webmaster5000,
Check out my posts at: http://geekvillage.com/ubb/Forum4/HTML/005952.html

That deal resulted from emailing the company.
hobbnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2001, 12:04 AM   #3
Ex

I personally have done it but only achieved like a response rate of only like 10% (email replies).

I approached anime related companies which only some of them replied. However, all the deal didn't go through even though the rate was agreed, cause at the last minute of booking, management decided to cut all spending on advertising and prefer to advertise on magazines.

I also approached other companies (local - Malaysia). One good one was I approached Pepsi Malaysia if they were interested in getting their brand to anime viewers. My presentation point was more on the teen demographic I hold which suits their target. The only problem is 70+% of my traffic were from US and to get to Pepsi US, its near impossible. This was a simple discussion with the marketing department as I met the people in it.

Most other local companies I approached prefer us to deal with their approved ad agents like BBDO etc..and these people still prefer offline advertising.

So the next logical step is to cold email to some companies which I think might be interested in my traffic. Guess what? No reply.

Here's a conclusion which I think ...
I'm from Malaysia and my site have 70+% US traffic..so companies in US don't prefer to deal with me and local companies don't want my traffic. *sigh*

With anime companies, they are really profitable, but branding is not their objective. They prefer performance (pay per sale which I'm running for 1 company - $200 - $400 revenue a month).

Overall, I think ad networks, or if you're a well known person in the ad industry, it would be easier to approach BIG BOYs and traditional companies.

Just my 1 cent.

------------------
Ex
Anime Genesis dot Com - Anime Entertainment Channel
EmailGirl Network- Internet Girl Network
Ex is offline   Reply With Quote