Webmaster Forum Rules | Posting Guide | Contact Us | Testimonials | Contributing Geek Program | Advertise on Geek/Talk
Welcome to the GeekTalk Webmaster Discussion Forums from GeekVillage.com

Click Here To Register. It's Free!

Go Back   geek/talk: Web publishing business discussion > YOUR PERFORMANCE: Website Promotion, Marketing and Growth > Business Principles > Traditional (Offline) Marketing
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-25-2001, 01:41 PM   #1
Synozeer

Unhappy

I would be wary of radio advertising unless you have an easily remembered domain name. Most people listening to the radio are probably driving and can't write down anything they hear. Otherwise, I think it might be very effective. I wonder how much a small radio ad would cost.

------------------
Insane Pictures - www.insanepictures.com
Top MUD Sites - www.topmudsites.com
Synozeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2001, 12:01 AM   #2
Postman

Unhappy Advertising on TV or Radio

Has anyone considered advertising on radio or TV? I am considering using radio a try as a form to advertise upon. I do think that people are ignoring internet ads these days and I need another form of media. I was wondering if anyone has ever inquired on pricing for a 30 second spot on their radio or tv? I know it varies by population.
Postman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2001, 08:31 AM   #3
truelight
Member.

Unhappy

Hmm isn't this the wrong forum?
truelight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2001, 10:33 AM   #4
Rendelius

Unhappy

Writing radio or TV commercials is my real life job :-). Well, it might be effective if you have a nice domain name, something that is worth visiting and are able to target your radio commercial appropriate. Don't do the ad yourself, however, it's a science to write a working one *g*. And consider the costs for the jingle and the voice(s) as well as for the studio. Will it be worth the investment - I can't tell without knowing where you are and what your product is.
Rendelius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2001, 11:00 AM   #5
Postman

Unhappy

We are have a brick and mortar office with a website as well. We are a job recruiting agency in Houston and Dallas. I hear so much about monster.com, hotjobs.com and dice.com on radio and tv and felt that I should follow on their footsteps.

If this is the wrong forum to posts this on, I deeply apologize. I have this forum bookmarked from clickquick and I thought this was the main page of the forum.
Postman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2001, 11:22 AM   #6
Czar

Webmaster

Unhappy

Postman, the main page of the Geek/Talk BBS can be found here:
http://geekvillage.com/ubb/Ultimate....assCookie=true

The most suitable forum for posting this type of question would be "Site Promotion".

So, you're looking to follow Monster.com and HotJobs, hey? Thank goodness you're asking for advice about radio promotion, and not the multi-million dollar SuperBowl spots that those two firms seem to like so much. http://geekvillage.com/ubb/wink.gif

------------------
Czar
Net-Ads - Webmaster Resource Center
iOnline Network
Czar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2001, 11:29 AM   #7
Aaron Dragushan

Unhappy

Postman, don't feel you should follow in their footsteps just because they're the big dogs. Frequently, (usually!) the biggest companies do the wrong thing, especially when it comes to advertising and spending money.

Most of the profitable companies are around because they didn't get funding-which-leads-to-big-spending, and so they had to bootstrap/think/learn.

As an example of a site that spent a ton of money and bought a big name, the largest women's site in the world, ivillage.com reaches about 1% of the net audience, I think. We all know the name, since they branded the heck out of it, but it just doesn't matter...

Given your industry niche (local recruiting) you have to be wary of going up directly against the big boys for another reason, which is that job boards are very much affected by increasing returns. The biggest job board is the one everyone will go to, just as Ebay is the "only" auction site. You might advertise locally, and position the company as a local alternative, or something that doesn't put you in direct competition with the bigger sites.
Aaron Dragushan is offline   Reply With Quote