Webmaster Forum Rules | Posting Guide | Contact Us | Testimonials | Contributing Geek Program | Advertise on Geek/Talk
Welcome to the GeekTalk Webmaster Discussion Forums from GeekVillage.com

Click Here To Register. It's Free!

Go Back   geek/talk: Web publishing business discussion > YOUR FRIENDS: The geek/talk Community > geek/yak
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-07-2003, 08:05 PM   #1
Elemental Thought

Default Good ideas for gifts

Ok, so I'm one of those last minute shoppers, usually by habit, but this year by force. I'm working on a contract out of town, so my shopping time is becoming very limited (as is my internet access... *grumble grumble*).

So does anyone have any fantastic ideas for gifts this season? My friends and family have decided to play it low-key this year, so no wide-screen plasma TVs or anything, just nice and simple. I'm the kind of person that likes to give unique and surprising gifts, but these become harder to find every year it seems. Any good leads from my fellow geek/talkers?
Elemental Thought is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2003, 10:46 PM   #2
Rhea

Location: Oh drat these computers, they're so naughty and so complex. I could pinch them.

I'm a big fan of gift certificates...when they're chosen with care.

Know someone who just moved into a new house? (Like me for instance? ) They'd probably really appreciate a GC to a home supply store.

Someone just had a baby? GC for a day of beauty at a local salon or a housecleaning service.

Expat? Send a GC to a food store in their native area that will deliver.

Shut-in? GC to a supermarket that makes home deliveries.

Retiree? See if you can get a GC to a local university for a three-credit course of the recipient's choosing.

Season passes to the theater or a concert series, floral bouquet deliveries during the Winter months, subscription to a humor magazine.
Rhea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2003, 03:38 AM   #3
Steve_S
I am a Contributing Geek. Are You?

My fav brick-and-morter store for neat liitle gifts:

http://www.sharperimage.com/

Note the Gift Guides link in the middle

HTH
Steve_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2003, 11:15 AM   #4
cyburrr
I am a Contributing Geek. Are You?

We make up gift baskets. If you know the person well, it's easy to put together stuff they will like and use (which is always appreciated)

My Mom's a huge Maple Leafs fan. This year her basket includes a TML hat/mitten set, a TML sweater, Don Cherry's latest DVD, and tickets to a hockey game in February. And of course it's all wrapped up in white and blue. (My son's getting a similar one with Raptors tickets and items)

Baskets for neices or nephews can be put together very inexpensively: ie. Gift certificates to go to the movies, or for DVD's or CD's, local book store. A box of their favourite candy... For older recipients you could add a bottle of their favourite wine/licquor etc. A set of nice glasses, candles.
cyburrr is offline   Reply With Quote