Webmaster Forum Rules | Posting Guide | Contact Us | Testimonials | Contributing Geek Program | Advertise on Geek/Talk
Welcome to the GeekTalk Webmaster Discussion Forums from GeekVillage.com

Click Here To Register. It's Free!

Go Back   geek/talk: Web publishing business discussion > YOUR PERFORMANCE: Website Promotion, Marketing and Growth > Business Principles > Traditional (Offline) Marketing
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-02-2003, 01:34 PM   #1
levik

Default Offline promotion for a puzzle site

I have a puzzle site that is probably one of the better ones on the web (see sig for link) - and I want to promote it offline.

My idea is to order a bunch of business-card sized promo fliers: they would be in full color on thick stock, with the site's logo on one side, and one of the more popular logic puzzles printed on the other.

What I'm not sure about is how to better distribute them to the target audience - because they do not have semi-***** women on them, a lot of the usual placement ideas for such stuff will not work.

I have considered colleges, but throwing these things around campuses is probably vandalism, and will not get enough attention anyway. Has anyone ever done something like this?
levik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2003, 08:26 PM   #2
Czar

Webmaster

Sounds like an awfully expensive way to go about promoting an ad supported niche-interest web property.

Maybe if you limited promotion to technical schools, and did so via ad placement within their college newspapers, etc, then your results would be worthwhile. Otherwise, check out how many puzzle-type magazines are available at newsstands in your area, and contact these about advertising rates.

It might pay to secure a domain name for the puzzle site also so as to create a more memorable URL for offline promotion.

2 cents.

Follow Geek/Talk's Twitter Feed and Facebook Page to stay up to date with new discussion threads and online ad industry highlights.

Important GeekVillage Links: Home | Rules | Posting Guide | Report Trouble | Feedback | Advertise on GV
Czar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2003, 06:56 AM   #3
levik

I'm not sure why you think this to be expensive - I ordered these cards for about 120 bucks for 2,500. If only 1 in 50 results in a user, that's $2.50 a sign-up - definitely worth it for somebody who went to the trouble of typing in a URL (as opposed to clicked a banner which requires significantly less effort). Also, I am hoping these things to be "viral" - people who are into puzzles may share it with friends, or show it to them to see how well they do.
Old 06-03-2003, 08:01 AM   #4
Czar

Webmaster

I wasn't trying to dissuade you, but was rather putting a couple of alternatives on the table.

If you're confident that you can reach a 2% conversion ratio from broadly distributed cards, and $2.50 per user provides acceptable ROI for you, then go right ahead. I don't claim to have knowledge of your market.

It would definitely be worth establishing a few online affiliate programs in addition, though, as 'free' leads such as these can be acquired for much less than $2.50, and that's without the greater expenses (in terms of time, if nothing else) required in distributing offline media.

Follow Geek/Talk's Twitter Feed and Facebook Page to stay up to date with new discussion threads and online ad industry highlights.

Important GeekVillage Links: Home | Rules | Posting Guide | Report Trouble | Feedback | Advertise on GV
Old 06-03-2003, 10:02 AM   #5
maddeningcrowds

For example, an affiliate program offering some puzzles/games for affiliates to put on their own sites. Some would even include these (with a link to your site) even if you weren't paying a signup comission!
maddeningcrowds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2003, 10:23 AM   #6
levik

Way ahead of you there I'm offering a puzzle of the day script that people can put on their pages.

Unfortunately because of the occasional image, I have to be render the puzzle on the same colored background as my site, so it's not as attractive to the more design-concious people.
Old 06-03-2003, 10:46 AM   #7
Czar

Webmaster

Much like the old Uproar.com program.

That was great. It offered publishers the ability to carry Uproar's trivia games and then invited players to register with Uproar at the game's conclusion, whereby a successful registration would net the hosting publisher $0.50 and Uproar a new customer for a minimal outlay.

Old 06-03-2003, 12:18 PM   #8
levik

Heh... Yeah... I don't pay for that

But a few bloggers put up the free puzzle anyway. It works out ok.
Old 06-05-2003, 07:31 AM   #9
Stan

Levik, was not that you asking the very similar question on some other board??

Anyway, why don't try and persuade retailers to put your promo-cards into puzzle magazines they sell locally?
Or, if you can afford it, contact the publishers of such magazines and try to get an ad into them. That will definitely guarantee that you hit your target audience precisely.
Stan is offline   Reply With Quote