Webmaster Forum Rules | Posting Guide | Contact Us | Testimonials | Contributing Geek Program | Advertise on Geek/Talk
Welcome to the GeekTalk Webmaster Discussion Forums from GeekVillage.com

Click Here To Register. It's Free!

Go Back   geek/talk: Web publishing business discussion > YOUR PERFORMANCE: Website Promotion, Marketing and Growth > Business Principles > Traditional (Offline) Marketing
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-01-2003, 10:46 AM   #1
cyburrr
I am a Contributing Geek. Are You?

Default A fellow geek's website radio mention

So, I was driving to work last night @5:50 and on the radio (Mojo 640) the topic was interesting web sites. Listeners would call in and offer their picks (and why they thought the site was of interest) - the DJ would bring up the site and check it out and add on a few comments.

When a listener called in and named hockeydb.com, it seemed familiar and then I recalled it's Geekvillage's very own Ralph Slate's site (OK, so I logged on once I got to work and searched GV )

Just wanted to let ya know Ralph that your site got a big thumbs up (on a coast to coast radio station). The caller said he spends hours there and mentioned a section that included odd draft choices (like one team had drafted a Japanese waiter). The DJ checked it out and added a good (although brief) review.

So, to bring this post on topic of webmaster issues, did you notice any spike in traffic Ralph (specifically from Canada's TO and VA area)?

Last edited by cyburrr; 03-01-2003 at 11:01 AM.
cyburrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2003, 01:58 PM   #2
Rhea

Location: Oh drat these computers, they're so naughty and so complex. I could pinch them.

WTG, Ralph!

Might be fun for us all to mention any major media coverage our sites have received. My all-time coup was a mention in the magazine 'Dog Fancy'. I never would have known about it except that a friend of mine subscribes to the mag. :woof:
Rhea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2003, 05:38 PM   #3
Jan

Administrator

Smile

Well done Ralph

The only media mention that I know of was a few years ago, a friend mentioned that a certain page of my site was mentioned in a computer magazine. He sent the magazine clipping to me and the headlines were something like "SNERT, OTTOMH, TILII, what does it all mean?" (I forget now which actual chat abbreviations they used now) but they had come across a page where I have listed some common and not so common chat "language" and had the URL there as well

edited for typo

Last edited by Jan; 03-01-2003 at 05:39 PM.
Jan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2003, 04:19 AM   #4
mike1lee

Getting old media coverage does give you a bit of a buzz. My first site got a mention on a US drive time radio show about a year ago, which was pretty cool. I then got a mention on a scandanavian TV show a few months later. Don't ask me how the 'eck I got this coverage though, I've no idea, my sites pretty small !
mike1lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2003, 05:07 AM   #5
EvDeon

Nice thread.

Truly, it is really hard to track offline referrers. I believe my site got many offline media mentions which I don't know about. Latest ones that I can remember were in TIME magazine and Star Tribune.

...and it is great to discover nice online referrer someday. I still remember 15k daily uniques boost when my site being FARKed once...
EvDeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2003, 10:40 AM   #6
Ted S

Back when I use to have a few friend sin radio we'd announce their websites at random times just to see the traffic impact. Depending on the time of day (well, the time of night) we'd see anywhere from a few hundred to several thousand users go to the site at once and that was from a breif "check out my website and send me an email" to a website with some obscure URL on a free host.

I can only imagine what a good promotion or a full spot to an actual domain would be like during "peak" times like in the early AM or mid Afternoon.

Congrats on the sucess, it's always nice to know people actually enjoy your site
Ted S is offline   Reply With Quote