Webmaster Forum Rules | Posting Guide | Contact Us | Testimonials | Contributing Geek Program | Advertise on Geek/Talk
Welcome to the GeekTalk Webmaster Discussion Forums from GeekVillage.com

Click Here To Register. It's Free!

Go Back   geek/talk: Web publishing business discussion > YOUR CREATION: Building & Maintaining A Web Site > Web Design and Webmaster Issues
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: What is your favorite AntiVirus software?
I don't use any AntiVirus software 7 19.44%
Panda AntiVirus 2 5.56%
Norton AntiVirus 21 58.33%
McAfee VirusScan 1 2.78%
Trend Micro PC-cillin 2 5.56%
F-Secure Anti-Virus 0 0%
Norman Virus Control 0 0%
BitDefender 0 0%
DialogueScience DrWeb 2 5.56%
AVG 1 2.78%
eTrust 0 0%
Voters: 36. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-04-2002, 02:39 PM   #1
Steve_S
I am a Contributing Geek. Are You?

Question What is your favorite AntiVirus software?

Which one do you use and why? How often do you update your Virus definitions and scan your system? Any tips to keep these nasty things out of our system?

Please only vote once. If I missed your favorite, please post and let me know with the name and URL.

Your Help: If you have a suggestion for a new Poll, please only use our BB Feedback Form and send me your ideas and details. Some of our best Polls come from members, so your comments are always appreciated.

Last edited by Steve_S; 10-04-2002 at 02:42 PM.
Steve_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2002, 03:58 PM   #2
OC

It's funny that I just arrived here to ask the same question.

I need a new AV program for my new computer (running XP). Norton AV 2001 (Win98) worked well and didn't hog resources... unfortunately I read NAV2002 is bloated so I'm back to square one.

A poll about the best firewall software would also be very helpful. There's so many to choose from... Tiny, Zonelabs, BlackICE, Norton, McAfee and so on.

Last edited by OC; 10-04-2002 at 04:15 PM.
OC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2002, 04:30 PM   #3
Kathy

Although I use Norton at the office on my PC...

At home I don't use an antivirus. Well, I have Norton installed but it is almost unnecessary... It has never caught anything although it updates itself and is raring to go.

I'm on a Mac.

I think a Mac is the best anti-virus there is
Kathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2002, 04:50 PM   #4
Tyme

I was using Norton for a long time. I saw reviews for Panda and decided to try it since they had a special going on.

Panda found 98 viruses on my computer.

Another problem I had with Norton is that if anything ever goes wrong with the installation, the program does not completely uninstall. This is what prompted me to start looking for other virus programs. A file was corrupt. I uninstalled it and tried to reinstall it and the subscription kept saying it was expired when it wasn't. After editing the registry (which I should not have to do) I finally got to work but something told me to test out Panda, and I am glad I did.
Tyme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2002, 06:23 PM   #5
zoltan

What about BitDefender.com? I can't find it on the list...

<Admin says thank you It's added to the list>

Last edited by Steve_S; 10-04-2002 at 06:43 PM.
zoltan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2002, 06:38 PM   #6
OC

I'm definitely considering Panda right now. Maybe I can avoid NortonMcAfeeSymantec completely.
Old 10-04-2002, 07:00 PM   #7
Jan

Administrator

I was quite happily using McAfee for a long time until one of those embedded viruses (forget the name offhand, Klez maybe?) in a popup ad broke it. I tried to fix it but because it was taking too long, I downloaded AVG from http://www.grisoft.com and have been very happy with that since. I use the auto update feature for continued protection.
Jan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2002, 10:17 PM   #8
Czar

Webmaster

I use Norton on my main Windows PC simply for the peace-of-mind (whether justified or not) of having an accountable public company creating definitions and updates. It's purely a psychological thing, but I don't have quite as much faith in the smaller vendors despite the positive track records, certifications and shared data that many boast.

Nevertheless, I use the free AVG on older computers or those that aren't quite so mission-critical.

Follow Geek/Talk's Twitter Feed and Facebook Page to stay up to date with new discussion threads and online ad industry highlights.

Important GeekVillage Links: Home | Rules | Posting Guide | Report Trouble | Feedback | Advertise on GV
Czar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2002, 01:33 PM   #9
EvDeon

I use DialogueScience DrWeb.

(can't find it on the list)

<Admin says thank you. It's added to the list and may be found at http://www.drweb32.com >

Last edited by Steve_S; 10-05-2002 at 01:48 PM.
EvDeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2002, 06:41 PM   #10
darnell

Talking

AVG needs to be added to the poll.

<Admin says thanks again and I didn't have a clue their are so many other products. AVG at http://www.grisoft.com is in the list.>

I use Norton. It automatically can update it's self or let me know when I need to download updates.

Also, people usually send viruses to Norton or McAfee first, so they make me feel they will always be up on the big viruses first.

If a poll is made about firewalls, be sure to include "hardware based" for those of us that just refuse outside request at the router .

Last edited by Steve_S; 10-05-2002 at 07:44 PM.
darnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2002, 08:20 PM   #11
OC

According to http://www.pcworld.com/features/arti...30,pg,2,00.asp , Panda let through as much as 20% of certain types of virii.

Edited for OT-ness.

Last edited by OC; 10-07-2002 at 11:09 AM.
Old 10-07-2002, 12:36 PM   #12
Andilinks

I use My eTrust from Computer Associates--didn't see it on your poll, it should be there.

http://www1.my-etrust.com/downloads/

another fun site for virus info:

http://www3.ca.com/virusinfo/

and the ever entertaining virus myths and hoaxes:

http://www.vmyths.com/index.cfm

Andi

Last edited by Andilinks; 10-07-2002 at 12:37 PM.
Andilinks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2002, 07:32 PM   #13
david11982

I've had all sorts of problems with antivirus programs. I used to use Norton all the time, but I got a virus that used a Norton file as its trigger. It corrupted my Norton AV, so I tried to uninstall it. What a pain !!! I found that getting rid of Norton is much harder than getting rid of viruses. They spread their program into different folders located in different places and I kept on getting messages that the files were in use and could not be deleted. After I finally got them all deleted and manually went through the registry to get rid of the last traces of Norton I tried installing McAfee. Apparently I didn't get rid of all the Norton files, because I got a message saying there was an error due to a conflict with another file (of course it was Norton), and it could not complete installation. Finally I just got rid of McAfee and everything of Norton's that I could find.

I haven't used an AV program for several months, and my computer has never run smoother. I don't get those annoying messages from Norton telling me that a file is infected and I have to delete it (which Norton was never able to successfully do). It seemed to me that there was never any problems until I would scan for viruses. Then it would say that I had a virus, and nothing seemed to work right until I figured out how to get rid of it. It made me wonder, was the virus the problem, or was Norton discovering the virus the problem? I think I will use another AV program eventually (not every virus uses Norton as a trigger), but I'm going to wait until something is available that will really protect my computer, not just shut it down when it senses danger.

P.S.- The reason there are few viruses on macs is because virus writers don't use macs. They want their viruses to become well-known, so why would they target computers that only represent about 1/20th of the total computer market?
david11982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2002, 08:00 PM   #14
Danimal

Used to be Macafee but now its Norton

But i'll never put norton with Win ME any more it just seems to not like it
Danimal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2002, 01:25 PM   #15
qRah

Norton at the office. Norton with a Trojan Remover from Simply Super, at home

Rah
qRah is offline   Reply With Quote