Webmaster Forum Rules | Posting Guide | Contact Us | Testimonials | Contributing Geek Program | Advertise on Geek/Talk
Welcome to the GeekTalk Webmaster Discussion Forums from GeekVillage.com

Click Here To Register. It's Free!

Go Back   geek/talk: Web publishing business discussion > YOUR CREATION: Building & Maintaining A Web Site > Web Design and Webmaster Issues
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-07-2001, 10:38 PM   #1
Toefur

Default Trouble on my Forums...

I recently had trouble with a guy on my forums, so I had to ban him.

I set new registrations to need to be authorised to be activated for a week or two, and turned that off yesterday.

The minute I did that... there was trouble. (I assume it's the same guy... acting the same and he's the only one with a grudge against me and my forums).

I have temporarily closed them down... but what can I do about this?

It seems he is never going to grow up and stop with his stupidity.

What he did today was, he registerd a bunch of names that were the same (with slight differences) of all \the regulars and started posting nonsense.

I have the IP address (216.193.51.24) (forgive me if I shouldnt post that there). But I posted it because it seems that after looking that up... it may not actually be his? I dunno...

This is the info my IP Lookup Program gave me...

UUNET, an MCIWorldcom Company (NET-UUNET-HIL-BLK4)
5000 Britton Rd.

Hilliard, OH 43026

US

Netname: UUNET-HIL-BLK4
Netblock: 216.192.0.0 - 216.193.127.255
Maintainer: UUHI

Coordinator:
UUNET an MCI WorldCom Company (HC3-ORG-ARIN) hostmaster@wcom.net
614/723-8128

So... is there anything I can do about this guy???
Toefur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2001, 02:43 AM   #2
Scuba

Make a TOS that will disallow such things.
Then Contact the ISP abuse devision and ask them to close the guys acount. He is probably making tobels in more places.
If all else fail you can treat him with leagal actions on the forums.
I have seen it happens and it was working . Ask Haig at the Matrox forums ( www.matrox.com ) about the trobels he had several month ago......
Scuba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2001, 04:52 AM   #3
Steve_S
I am a Contributing Geek. Are You?

Thumbs up

What Forum script are you using?

With vB (ours) you place them in the "cue/moderation" and closely examine each application to register. They can not post untill you approve them or you reject them. Turn this back on if you have the feature or you will continue to be the target of this abuse. This abuser has found a "hole" in your procedures and is exploiting it.

Can you ban ALL free email addresses and free domains for new members and not current? If you can, do it. Thats where "abuse" hides.

Both of these procedures will have a negative impact on your "gross traffic" and increase the quality of your BB a great deal. A trade off if you will. Never a perfect solution.

If you have a time and date stamp on the abuusive posts and have retained the oririginal send this to the host and ask them to terminante the account and or domain within the next 6 hours. Make sure you tell them the time zone where you are. This ISP has millions and millions of users but thery can find it very quickly if you provide them with all the data. You need to send the proof in the first email and make it easy for them to "turn the key"

Send your email to abuse@ and CC to the other email you posted.

HTH
Steve_S is offline   Reply With Quote