Webmaster Forum Rules | Posting Guide | Contact Us | Testimonials | Contributing Geek Program | Advertise on Geek/Talk
Welcome to the GeekTalk Webmaster Discussion Forums from GeekVillage.com

Click Here To Register. It's Free!

Go Back   geek/talk: Web publishing business discussion > YOUR PERFORMANCE: Website Promotion, Marketing and Growth > Business Principles > Traditional (Offline) Marketing
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-12-2001, 08:44 PM   #1
starluck

Unhappy

Quote:
use traditional mediums, like newspaper ads, magazine ads, flyers, advertising specialties
To take your idea one step further. Another very cost effective way to advertise offline is through sponsorships of different events and community activities. This would include things like kids baseball , football, soccer, hockey teams etc. Those tshirts and caps can carry your sites logo and url.

In our own case we have been sponsors of gaming tournaments, like Scrabble, Card tournaments etc. This url http://www.geocities.com/TimesSquare...8/sponsors.htm is one of the big upcoming card tournaments we are a sponsors of in Ohio.

Not only do you get branding but you get better than average response because the people are grateful for your support.

This type of advertising has been working well for small businesses for many years and probably a good number of websites could utilize this method

starluck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2001, 11:33 PM   #2
Questy

Exclamation Don't use the internet.

About 2 years ago, in these very forums, I got on my soapbox, and based on some basic business experience, proclaimed that the best way to promote your web site was "Don't use the internet."

What the heck do I mean? Well heck, Steve_S finally saw the light! I mean check out all those cool geekvillage mousepads, and t-shirts, and coffee mugs!

Marketing folks! It's called marketing. And I still think the best way to promote a web site is to NOT use banner ads or all the new fangled gimmicks, but to use traditional mediums, like newspaper ads, magazine ads, flyers, advertising specialties (things like the t-shirts, coffee mugs, and mouse pads).

Heck even things like testimonials are techniques that marketing folks used back in the days before the internet. Word of mouth advertising, asking someone to recommend your product, giving someone a gift or incentive for recommending your product. Ah yes, marketing.

Still think I'm nuts? There's a few web sites out there that were born purely from technology. But we see all the articles about the 99% of the dot coms that are dying.

How about the dot coms that will survive? Could it be that many of them had a business plan that existing before the internet? Could it be that many of them understanding marketing first, and then applied the technology? Could it be that many of them see the internet as merely one of many marketing tools for their business to use, rather than the business itself?

Something to think about.
Questy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2001, 01:12 AM   #3
Scuba

Thumbs up

True it can work - but it depend on your type of site very much.
I for example can't ad my site in places like this. What i am planing to do (the moment i will have time) is Write some articles about the net and computers and send them free to a small Computer related magazine. I kinda know they are despret for new original material, and they published things from us in the past.
At the begining or end it will includ my name and somthing like - the Autor is a web master and operate the WWW.XYZ.com site.

this way you can relly adapt almost every site. Gaming and celebrety sites - donat articles to a school news paper and on and on.

------------------
Why don't you read the free literature we included with your computer? It's a Classic love story about a spanish guy named Manual
If you are into Video Editing - http://www.highvid.com
Scuba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2001, 05:28 AM   #4
Questy

Thumbs up

>> To take your idea one step further. Another very cost effective way to advertise offline is through sponsorships of different events and community activities.

EXACTLY!

Anything you can do to set yourself apart from another website, it's all apart of marketing.
Old 06-13-2001, 10:55 AM   #5
Steve_S
I am a Contributing Geek. Are You?

Arrow

HA! http://geekvillage.com/ubb/smile.gif <Q: please email me your phone number>

The best thing I have done recently is our BB testimonials at http://www.geekvillage.com/geek_talk...timonials.html

REAL testimonials http://geekvillage.com/ubb/smile.gif and folks read them.

Some of this testimonial copy is destined for a little postcard via a direct mail campaign. Natch, the folks have to approve it but since their sites URL is in it I'm guessing it will be OK.

In my prior life http://geekvillage.com/ubb/smile.gif I sent out over 25 Million cheezy little postcards. Thats M for million. The ROI over a 10 year period was at least 10,000 X better than any other medium I used which included radio, tv, billboard, shows, hand out flyers, print adds, and such.

The pre tax net from this effort averaged at least 6 figures over a 10 year period. We continued to tweak and refine our procedures and made a fiew mistakes along the way.

1) I used a commercial list with labels
2) Targeted by ZIP Code
3) 3 sell points and a cheezy piece of clip art that fit the message perfectly.
4) Loud and obnoxious paper colors worked best
5) Call "unique name" today with detailed tracking.
6) A strong call to action
7) Some folks saved the postcard for 2 years! and then called
8) The secty and rep had 10 seconds to pick up the phone and begin talking to the prospect on M-F. If they couldn't meet these expectations they were asked to leave and many did. Those that stayed made a ton of money and that included the secty http://geekvillage.com/ubb/smile.gif
9) We responded 24/7/365
10) We had a bulk mail permit which saved us tons of money
11) We consumated deals from folks who lived up to 200 miles away from our office
12) We used colored stock and thus the job was a one color run. Huge savings!

The industry was Mortgage Banking and this 10 year period spaned a rise in fall in rates and a big slump in the RE industry.

The primary secret was to use a small postcard and not an envelope.

Good luck.

------------------
Steve_S
Administrator/Owner/Webmaster/Tribal Chief/Janitor
Read what our Members think of geek/talk.
"Adversity has the effect of eliciting talents, which in prosperous circumstances would have lain dormant." -Horace

[This message has been edited by Steve_S (edited 06-13-2001).]
Steve_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2001, 05:12 AM   #6
Questy

Unhappy

Steve,

Your reply is right on the money. (No pun intended you former banker)...

What makes your reply even more on the money, is that I just received one of those internet newsletters from one of those "intenernet marketing guru's" that talks about exactly the same thing, using postcards! Go figure. (maybe they read your post here, HA!)