Webmaster Forum Rules | Posting Guide | Contact Us | Testimonials | Contributing Geek Program | Advertise on Geek/Talk
Welcome to the GeekTalk Webmaster Discussion Forums from GeekVillage.com

Click Here To Register. It's Free!

Go Back   geek/talk: Signature-free discourse for serious web publishers > YOUR REVENUE: Making Money On The Internet > Making Money with CPC and/or CPM Programs
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-13-2001, 07:58 PM   #1
Magic2K2

Default Anyone run a site for their passion first, money second?

I know a lot of people here set up dozens of sites with tons of referral links to make a lot of money and that's all good, but I wanted to know if anyone is doing the same thing I'm doing, which is run a site about something they love and then trying to make money on top of that.

I enjoy running my site even though I don't really make any money right now. Don't get me wrong, I want to make money eventually, but I just don't want to sacrifice quality for a pretty penny right now. Just wanted to know who's in the same boat...
Magic2K2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2001, 08:15 PM   #2
Steve_S
I am a Contributing Geek. Are You?

Lot's of issues to chew on in your post And probably a number of answers that "work".

This forum! And that would be geek/talk at GV loged it's first post in 8/98 and was started only for "passion" and the sheer joy of helping folks. At that time, I wouldn't have known a CGI script if it bit me. Let alone CPC, RPV, CPA, and much much more. So I also figured that the best way to learn about some of these issues is get others to share their knowledge.

<cough> It's changed/evolved into a "business" + the original Passion/joy. Both issues have to be present for me to stick around. My view might be a bit unique to say the least.

Iv'e seen this evolution in a number of sites over the years.

HTH
Steve_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2001, 08:24 PM   #3
Ex

Well..my story started like Steve's did. I started a Japanese Anime site to curb my obsession with anime. First it was Geocities, then moved to Simplenet (now YahooHosting or whatever) after an online shop sponsored my hosting.

Then Flycast came to me as well as other ad networks offering ads. And from there, the site evolve from pure hobby to now 70% making money and 30% hobby.

Obviously, then I do not know much about internet advertising nor CGI and a little HTML. To improve further, I learn and learn at forums like GV, GHF, and others......and now trying to move on to other topics to test my luck in the internet industry ALL OVER AGAIN. Many would say I'm crazy in this condition, but I always believe, whenever there's a recession, there's always opportunities.
Ex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2001, 08:35 PM   #4
Gracklor

Talking

I initially purchased my joke site in 1999 because I thought it would be fun to run a joke site, the price was right ($200 for the domain, content, and the joke list addresses), and my timing was right.

I remember thinking, "wow, I have a joke site!"

Now, I think, "wow, it makes $200+ a month (even in these times), and I only paid $200 for it!"

I remember signing up for companies like Teknosurf and Mailbits.com because, I thought, "well, if I have traffic, I might as well try to make money off of it." Even after the economy in the US went south, the site continued to make money. Slowly but surely, what started as a hobby and "fun" activity became a means to suppliment my income.

I have a part time job that pays for things like food and college. (Being a student means few(er) expenses.) The income from the web site pays for hosting, DSL, and a few other things (more food). If I can grow the site and lists to the point where they bring in more income, that would be my dream job.

But, even with the side benefits, I run the site mostly because I like doing this stuff. That, and it gives me an excuse to avoid homework.

Last edited by Gracklor; 12-13-2001 at 08:41 PM.
Gracklor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2001, 09:18 PM   #5
Chazhound

Cool

My web sites are always built about
things I like...

Passion is one key to surviving the
the unpleasant tasks of being a webmaster.

If you like the subject/topic of your website,
then you will probably have more drive to
make it a success.

Chazhound
Chazhound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2001, 10:03 PM   #6
avman33

Hobbie then money. I would have to agree with what Chazhound said about passion is the key to surviving.

I've been running one of my sites for 2 and 1/5 years, since 98, and I've just now (last 6 months) been able grab some cash out of it. I would still run it even if I didn't get the money.
avman33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2001, 10:05 PM   #7
singloon

GeekGuide

passion definitely first before money but now it's the fact i need money to continue my passion

singloon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2001, 10:18 PM   #8
Aaron Dragushan

I'd like to think that's the way all great sites get started. If all someone wants is money, maintaining the site comes a lot closer to drudge work, whereas if you're working hard in order to express yourself, or influence others, all the hard work means nothing.

Do you guys also have 9 or 10 hour stretches that pass in 20 minutes because your head/heart is right into it?
Aaron Dragushan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2001, 10:28 PM   #9
avman33

Quote:
Originally posted by Aaron Dragushan Do you guys also have 9 or 10 hour stretches that pass in 20 minutes because your head/heart is right into it?
All the time!
avman33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2001, 11:05 PM   #10
kryton

I create sites to learn. I enjoy learning languages, maintaining servers, etc, and puting that to pratical use, more than I enjoy the content of my sites.
kryton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2001, 11:39 PM   #11
dezevo
Member.

Me! Personally, I love designing sites. If you notice on my site ( http://www.hermanonline.ca ) you'll notice there is no merchant links. I don't make a dime from that site. I figure that I got soemthign good going on there, and plan to have the whole site independant. The plans are to eventually make money with the use of merchandise of my cartoon character there. My site doesn't generate enough hits to make some good money on it, so I don't see a point flooding it with ad banners. The site is fairly new, by the way.

Last edited by dezevo; 12-13-2001 at 11:41 PM.
dezevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2001, 02:34 AM   #12
Ex

Quote:
Originally posted by Aaron Dragushan
I'd like to think that's the way all great sites get started. If all someone wants is money, maintaining the site comes a lot closer to drudge work, whereas if you're working hard in order to express yourself, or influence others, all the hard work means nothing.

Do you guys also have 9 or 10 hour stretches that pass in 20 minutes because your head/heart is right into it?
What? That short..I have devoted like 15+ hours which to me whizzes pass like 30 minutes and I was like...What the heck?? I need more time..more time...

Definitely passion then money....but if money is your passion, then making any sites that make money would be the perfect equation!!!!!
Ex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2001, 02:47 AM   #13
Jan

Administrator

My sites definitely started out, first as a hobby, which turned into a passion.

The possibility of making money with it never entered my head.

Even now, I don't place too much emphasis into the money making side. I have certain pages I won't 'spoil' with advertising.

I know I could make a lot more money if I wanted to, but I don't like to push it too much, so I am quite happy with the pocket money I make
Jan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2001, 05:00 AM   #14
EvDeon

I'm running pop lyrics site azlyrics.com for money ...And these money are very helpful in maintaining my passion - another lyrics site to the music I LIKE - darklyrics.com
EvDeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2001, 05:03 AM   #15
wly

For my part it started with looking for a way to make money online. I was bored of my day job so I was looking for alternatives. I knew some HTML from college and started to read some more books about HTML and I started making my first page from geocities. At first I had no clue on how to make money or if there is really money on the net. But the turning point was when I discovered The Pages that Pay from Geocities which was a sub-affiliate network from BeFree. And the rest is history.
wly is offline   Reply With Quote