Webmaster Forum Rules | Posting Guide | Contact Us | Testimonials | Contributing Geek Program | Advertise on Geek/Talk
Welcome to the GeekTalk Webmaster Discussion Forums from GeekVillage.com

Click Here To Register. It's Free!

Go Back   geek/talk: Signature-free discourse for serious web publishers > YOUR REVENUE: Making Money On The Internet > Making Money with Email
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-14-2002, 07:11 PM   #1
Lil_Red

Default Variation on Nigerian spam

This abbreviated version came to my inbox a few minutes ago.

Dr. Garry Marcus
garrymarcus@zybermail.com
14th October 2002.

Good day,
I contacted you some time ago about assisting me and my partner transfer some funds
{(US$29,600,000.00 million) Twenty Nine Million Six Hundred Thousand United State
Dollars Only** into your account and up till now I have not heard from you. Please let me
know what is happening, are you still interested or not? if you are still interested, contact
me immediately with your phone and fax numbers so that I can send to you by fax the
modalities or I can call you.
Contact me as soon as possible as time is of essence.

Awaiting your immediate response,
Dr. Garry Marcus.

I love this current con, it makes the unwary think they responded to the original query.
Lil_Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2002, 10:21 AM   #2
jnestor

Spammers have been doing that for a while. The latest one I saw looked like a bounce from a message I had sent. As if I wouldn't notice that the person I was supposedly sending it to was a complete stranger. Or that I'd ever forward an e-mail promoting a chain letter. A while back a lot of spam had subjects like "Your order" and the like.

Of course it's amusing that US$29,600,000.00 million is not 29 million but rather 29 trillion. What's the GDP these days? I'm sure no-one would notice if you suddenly came into more money than Bill Gates with no explanation.
jnestor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 11:10 AM   #3
AS3189

I had something like that happen with a job posting that advertised for a personal assistant. I applied and they began sending me checks asking for me to transfer them through my personal account. I was kind of amazed at their eagerness to pull this off - they FedExed the checks overnight, which must have been pricey.

Last edited by AS3189; 07-11-2012 at 11:15 AM.
AS3189 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 06:40 AM   #4
worldemart0

How they find our mailing address?
worldemart0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2014, 03:55 AM   #5
novaco112

In spite of the seemingly endless variety of cover stories used by Nigerian ****mers, the core **** remains essentially the same. Be wary of any unsolicited email, letter or fax that promises you a percentage of a large sum of money in exchange for helping to transfer.
novaco112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2014, 01:56 AM   #6
menupages112

Greetings and love to you in the name of the most high God, from my beloved country Nigeria. I am Barrister Richard Okoya, lawyer to the late Ibrahim Abacha eldest son of the late former head of state of Nigeria late General Sani Abacha.
menupages112 is offline   Reply With Quote