Webmaster Forum Rules | Posting Guide | Contact Us | Testimonials | Contributing Geek Program | Advertise on Geek/Talk
Welcome to the GeekTalk Webmaster Discussion Forums from GeekVillage.com

Click Here To Register. It's Free!

Go Back   geek/talk: Signature-free discourse for serious web publishers > YOUR REVENUE: Making Money On The Internet > Making Money with CPC and/or CPM Programs
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-15-2001, 02:47 AM   #1
LastActionHero

Default Everyone.net mail plus for free?

I recieved a mail from Everyone.net. Among other things it said that now the user will be given an option when he decides to upgrade to Mail Plus.

Quote:
Mail Plus For Free!
How can this be? Here's something to see... When your end users upgrade to Mail Plus from your welcome page, they'll see two options:

Get a free one-year Mail Plus membership, a $19.99 (US) value, by completing any one of these great offers:
Special Offer One
Special Offer Two
Special Offer Three
Or use your credit card. Mail Plus is only $19.99 (US) a year.
Regardless of which option your end user chooses, you still receive full credit; 10% of $19.99 (US)!

To review, there are now two ways for your end users to get Mail Plus. They can pay by credit card or they can complete one of three special offers good for an entire year of Mail Plus. Best of all, it doesn't matter which way your end users get Mail Plus because you still get paid!
This is interesting. So we get paid even they go for the free offer. I think they must have struck some interesting co-reg deals with the large subscriber base that they have.
LastActionHero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2001, 02:30 PM   #2
darnell

I would like to know more of the details regarding those offers (Special Offer One, Special Offer Two and Special Offer Three).

I figure Everyone.net's days are numbered. I'm sure the offers have some catch that will turn users off. Anyone still using an account is used to the ads by now.
darnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2001, 03:09 PM   #3
funpage

I just logged onto my everyone.net e-mail and the 3 offers are all for credit cards. I didn't even realize that they offered this until I read this thread.
funpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2001, 04:55 PM   #4
darnell

Well a credit card will cost the user WAY MORE than $20 in the course of a year....

And I'd bet Everyone.net gets more than $20 in referal fees for signing them up...
Old 11-16-2001, 06:20 AM   #5
safesys

I can't imagine many people signing up for a credit card *just* to get ad free email.

This smacks of the desperation, as does almost every announcement to come out of everyone.net lately.
safesys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2001, 12:40 PM   #6
aircav

Default Everyone.net stability

Hi Everyone

Maybe I haven't figured out how to read between the line, but what indications are present that would imply that everyone.net is on it's last leg.

>>This smacks of the desperation, as does almost every announcement to come out of everyone.net lately<<

>>I figure Everyone.net's days are numbered. I'm sure the offers have some catch that will turn users off. <<

1. Is it because everyone.net uses pop-up ads?

2. Is it because they are using skyscraper ads for their free service.

3. Maybe its the new subscription service [$1.66 a month] to access the added features that suggest they are on their last legs.

I just don't know.

If these are the indications that their websites are ready to tumble then I would guess that a lot of websites are ready to tumble too!

Maybe I'm missing something

See Ya
Aircav
aircav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2001, 12:54 PM   #7
safesys

Well, when I first started using everyone.net the agreement was that we shared banner impressions - and that was it.

Then they added the popups on what seems like every mouseclick.

Then they removed the free email and started only offering their paid for email serivices.

Then they decided to offer MY users, an ad free service based on MY domains for $20.

The signs are not good and its obvious they can't generate the revenue they need based on the original premise, and they keep trying new things that seem to ***** over their users and partners.
Old 11-17-2001, 02:14 PM   #8
darnell

See mentions of Everyone.net on FC here: http://forum.****edcompany.com/fc/ph...h=everyone.net
[replace stars with the appropriate letters...]

I don't know how long you've been with Everyone.net aircav, but I've been with them since August 1999 and seeing how things have changed I don't expect them to be around August 2002.

Basically they started out trying to make money off advertising. Of course we know that is killing most large sites. So they now are trying to get people to pay for e-mail, but not many people are paying for e-mail while they can still get an account for free. Users will simply deal with the ads like with any web site.

In fact, the Everyone.net web site is down right now and so is access to log into web mail accounts .

Last edited by darnell; 11-17-2001 at 02:19 PM.
Old 11-17-2001, 11:46 PM   #9
Edwin

I'm busy hunting for a way to move off of Everyone.net without totally destroying my userbase.

Out of 27,500+ registered users of my co-branded free email service, Everyone.net has only managed to persuade *9* of them to upgrade to a paid service (either via paying for it or signing up for a "deal"). That's in 6-7 weeks of trying to push their paid email program.

I haven't even bothered to calculate the conversion rate, since it's off-the-chart low!

So in return for suddenly offering people the chance to pay for free email at MY domain, Everyone.net is essentially paying me $18. Except they're not, since that's below the minimum for me to receive a check.

I sent a very long email to one of their customer service team a few days ago regarding the situation and their poor performance. Despite having been assured that I was one of the users with the largest registered user-base only days previously, I have not yet received so much as an acknowledgement of the email.

Think about it. Supposing they have 27.5 million users. Then at the same conversion rate as for my 27.5 thousand users, Everyone.net has just 9,000 paying customers and is earning just $180,000 a year gross (before 10% paid to webmasters, and all costs) off of them. Now I don't know how many users they REALLY have, or if my conversion rate is a-typical, but it certainly makes you pause and think veeeeeeery carefully!

My recommendation: If you haven't already moved your free email service off of Everyone.net, start hunting for ways to do it NOW.
Edwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2001, 08:08 AM   #10
ceo

Wink Edwin......

Since you seem to be the know all of 3rd party email hosting companies, I'd like to know your Top-3.
I am with everyone.net & have somewhere above 5000 users there.

I'd like to move them to a better place, before it's too late.
I tried the others that have a name around but wasn't too impressed even at the config. stages. Everyone.net was way ahead & that's why most of us signed up there !

Please let me know of anything you consider useful.
PS : What would the costs be per year, hosting your own email software on your server managing around 10-30,000 email accounts.......
ceo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2001, 09:58 AM   #11
Edwin

Hmm... a Top 3 would be very difficult, since this is not something I can easily test (unlike free email *accounts*).

However, I can tell anyone reading this thread to avoid Everyone.net, Bigmailbox.com and Outblaze.com. That's for starters.

The NetMongol.com service looks interesting, and is certainly reasonably priced at the moment. For 5,000 mailboxes you'd be paying about $40-50 a month there (you'll have to read the Terms and Conditions to work out the exact amount corresponding to your situation.)

There is a new company that's worth looking into, Fastmail.fm. One of the main guys in the company participates DAILY in my email forums, without fail, and he seems to be very knowledgeable. They are going to start offering co-branded services shortly I believe.

The only other provider I can think of that I liked (note the past tense) is CoconutSoftware.com. I actually met some of their staff at their offices last year, and their email solution looks very elegant. However, recent comments on my site's Forums have lead me to believe that they may be - not are, but may be - facing financial difficulties. But if you address yourself directly to them, they'll be able to give you more info.

As for email server software, I honestly have no idea at all. I expect for a decent package your base price is going to be $1,000++. And then there's the cost of the dedicated server to consider, and the support time...

Hope this gives you a few pointers to get started.
Edwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2001, 02:07 PM   #12
aircav

To Edwin. darnell, safesys and everyone else - Thanks for the info.

I've been with everyone.net since March of 2000. Ever since everyone.net started using pop-ups I have been searching for a different provider for my email outsourcing.

For the price (free) and the features everyone.net still seems the best so far.

What I would like to do in the near future is to run my own email service. So far the ROI would not justify that right now. Out of my 250 users only 2 have signed up for the mail plus. Me being one of them.

Why did I sign up? First I wanted to see what the service was actually like and secondly I wanted to access the POP account.

At one signup per 250 users it will be a very long time before I see any money.

I wonder who would be held responsible if say a few users signed up for paid email and I decided to quit everyone.net.

Oh well with only one paid user I'm sure something could be worked out whenever I can find a suitable alternate to everyone.net.

Now my free website hosting powered by CommunityArchitect.com is going the same route as everyone.net.

How did I get suckered into these partnerships!

Oh well Live and Learn

Aircav
aircav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2001, 07:33 AM   #13
ceo

Arrow Edwin......

Thanks for your advice & pointers.....
I used to visit your site a lot in the past over 1-2 yrs......to find the best email account providers ; )

Well I agree with you regd. the 3 to stay far from.
Exactly as I pointed out those weren't even responsive in the start !

I hope something free & fine is around.... soon !

I earn zope really so paying is not the way for me as of NOW !
ceo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2001, 11:53 PM   #14
darnell

OK here's my latest issue with Everyone.net . I sent an e-mail to my users on Everyone.net's service and after hitting the send button I got this message:

Quote:
Your request to send mail to users at your domain (@soulfoodcookbook.com) has been submitted. It may take up to 2 days to process the request.
UP TO 2 DAYS!!!!!

Since when was e-mail as slow or slower than snail-mail? Especially when all the users are getting an e-mail from within their e-mail service provider...

I don't know if any of you saw Larry "oh I wish I could rule the world because I'd do better than Bill Gates-I promise" Ellison's Comdex speech about his ideas to have e-mail in a database, but it was pretty cool. Because users would all view the same message (record) and that would keep thousands of copies of the same message from being sent all over the place.
Old 11-27-2001, 04:53 AM   #15
safesys

I would say that it means everyone.net is censoring userbase mails. This makes it very difficult to notify all users if you are changing email service provider or to inform them that mailplus is not something you recognize.

It just gets worse and worse.