Webmaster Forum Rules | Posting Guide | Contact Us | Testimonials | Contributing Geek Program | Advertise on Geek/Talk
Welcome to the GeekTalk Webmaster Discussion Forums from GeekVillage.com

Click Here To Register. It's Free!

Go Back   geek/talk: Signature-free discourse for serious web publishers > YOUR REVENUE: Making Money On The Internet > Making Money with CPC and/or CPM Programs
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-02-2007, 07:00 AM   #1
fcmedianet

Default Google Adsense

I have 3 PR 5 Sites that I built especially for Google's adsense (about 2 years ago) but all three put together manages to pull in a whopping $1 a day with Adsense. Is this normal? 2 of the sites avarage 500 uniques per day and the other one 1000 uniques per day. According to the google adsense stats the ad impressions are about 25% less than my web logs show.

Is this normal or what am I doing wrong?
fcmedianet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2007, 11:25 PM   #2
dvduval

You probably need to find someway to build a base of loyal visitors who return often. Just optimizing a made for adsense site and making money is not easy unless you luck into a niche that has little competition.
dvduval is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2007, 08:53 AM   #3
Kathy

You built a site for the purpose of adsense?

Sounds a bit backwards to me.

Adsense (and search engines) work because people build sites for the purpose of unique content. (Check out Google's quality webmaster guidelines.)

Build a website with loads of content, unique content. Gain traffic. Give your visitors a reason to return often with new content that is unique and not lifting copyrighted material from others.

Once you have a steady and loyal base of visitors to your site, slap on a few google adsense.
Kathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2007, 08:17 PM   #4
retiringsoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by fcmedianet
I have 3 PR 5 Sites that I built especially for Google's adsense (about 2 years ago) but all three put together manages to pull in a whopping $1 a day with Adsense. Is this normal? 2 of the sites avarage 500 uniques per day and the other one 1000 uniques per day. According to the google adsense stats the ad impressions are about 25% less than my web logs show.

Is this normal or what am I doing wrong?

I have a sight that gets about 250 pageviews a day and it makes about $100 a month for 8 months a year. Either your pages aren't set up right or your keywords are really cheap.
retiringsoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2007, 10:34 PM   #5
Czar

Webmaster

Welcome, retiringsoon and fcmedianet. It's always good to see a few new faces around here.

As Kathy expressed so eloquently, made-for-AdSense sites will never perform particularly well - except in extraordinarily rare circumstances. There are already too many 'professional SEOs' leeching that avenue for all it's worth and, fortunately, Google and other search engines now pay very attention to sites of that nature.

AdSense is a very powerful website monetization tool, but a site built for AdSense will always hve a limited lifespan and very, very limited appeal. Develop a site that serves the needs of a particular niche audience whose wants and desires you understand. Foster the community and continue providing enough quality, original content to keep them coming back for more, and you'll find that the revenue will start to spill in much faster than to those who try to over-optimize their way to success.

Hope this helps.

Follow Geek/Talk's Twitter Feed and Facebook Page to stay up to date with new discussion threads and online ad industry highlights.

Important GeekVillage Links: Home | Rules | Posting Guide | Report Trouble | Feedback | Advertise on GV
Czar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2007, 11:08 PM   #6
suresk

I've never been much good at drawing large numbers of visitors to my websites, unfortunately. I have, however, figured out ways to maximize the amount of money per visitor. I have many websites making over $100 CPM consistenly, albeit with a relatively small number of visitors.

How do you do it?

1) Target a high-paying category and focus on it. I've focused on financial areas, because it pays well and because I have interest, knowledge, and experience in those areas.

2) Provide compelling content. I've tried those "ready made AdSense" sites - they don't provide much unique or useful content. It doesn't have to be anything big really - one of my most successful sites consists mostly of a small rate table - it just has to be at least somewhat unique and useful.

3) Make the ads useful. I get some pretty targeted ads for my sites, through Google AdSense and other CPA networks I use. I'd like to think that when I make money, the person who clicked or signed up got closer to what they were trying to do.

Now if I can just figure out how to get more traffic
suresk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2007, 03:24 PM   #7
RickPlmr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathy
Once you have a steady and loyal base of visitors to your site, slap on a few google adsense.
This is admittedly extremely hard to do for someone new starting out. I mean, you're probably doing this on the side, and your wife or husband is skeptical already of the amount of time you're putting in without seeing money in return (speaking from my own recent experience). And now you're getting advice to hold off on ads until traffic builds up.... !!!

But I'm beginning to believe that it's the only way to be successful. In fact, I literally just turned off ads on most of my sites this morning because they haven't been around long enough to generate the kind of page ranking and traffic that they'll need to be successful in the long run (and it's not like they're making any money from the ads in the meantime without the traffic).

They still have plenty of in-line text affiliate links in the articles where appropriate, but the side bar ads on the main pages are gone. I think it leaves a much more inviting feel to visitors, and I'm hoping they'll be more interested in replying to some of my posts without feeling like I'm trying to shove something down their throats.
RickPlmr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2007, 07:04 AM   #8
Czar

Webmaster

Welcome to Geek/Talk, Rick. That's some very good advice that many publishers unfortunately learn too late.

Create something valuable, build an audience and then start to monetize those eyeballs. I'm sure Google would have had much more trouble building its loyal user base if they hadn't followed that same mantra.

Follow Geek/Talk's Twitter Feed and Facebook Page to stay up to date with new discussion threads and online ad industry highlights.

Important GeekVillage Links: Home | Rules | Posting Guide | Report Trouble | Feedback | Advertise on GV
Czar is offline   Reply With Quote