Webmaster Forum Rules | Posting Guide | Contact Us | Testimonials | Contributing Geek Program | Advertise on Geek/Talk
Welcome to the GeekTalk Webmaster Discussion Forums from GeekVillage.com

Click Here To Register. It's Free!

Go Back   geek/talk: Signature-free discourse for serious web publishers > YOUR FRIENDS: The geek/talk Community > Archives of the best threads
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-09-2003, 04:55 PM   #16
tobiasussing

i trust SIC implicitly, though i might disagree on their no answer policy. But it really isn't a problem for me, its only a problem for the cheaters.

if SIC have a program that fits your page(maybe like http://www.popbehinds.com/ ), then you should grab that extra money.

btw, been with SIC for a 4-6 years, can't really remember.
Sincerly
ABC
Old 11-09-2003, 04:56 PM   #17
EMINEM79

Quote:
Originally posted by maddeningcrowds
>> but that is not crediable source

It's as credible as any.
I've never seen a board so wrongfully "policed" in my life.

Dave
Old 11-09-2003, 05:31 PM   #18
cyburrr
I am a Contributing Geek. Are You?

Though I don't use SI anymore (and am leaning away from pops), I was actually once kicked out for 'begging' for clicks (I believe I had thanked readers for their support). Via email I explained that I was referring to paypal donations received (and provided the link to said page). So - I just wanted to give an example where SI DID review, reconsider and reinstate an account erroneously terminated (or at least by misunderstanding). My concerns were addressed and resolved very quickly.
Old 11-10-2003, 01:50 AM   #19
qball0213

I've always been treated fairly by SI also, if you throw them some traffic you will make money, period.
Old 11-10-2003, 06:54 AM   #20
maddeningcrowds

http://www.sictalk.com

>> I've never seen a board so wrongfully "policed" in my life.

It's their own board, they can do what they like with it, I don't think you could say it is possible for them to be 'wrong'.

But it IS a good source of information becuase its where a lot of publishers hang out, if you join and post and become part of the community you will meet publishers and hear their opinions.

So if you're thinking of their programs but aren't sure, hang out their regularly. You'll hear the good side and the bad side, you'll read the bad posts before they get deleted, and you can make up your own mind.

In general, I think the issue here as about the way the internet works in general.

SI runs their affiliate programs as a business. They have salaries and lawyers to pay, contracts to sign.

vs

A lot of webmasters are not business people. The internet illicits unprofessional behaviour from people that would never dream of such things in the real world.

For example if a salesperson had a problem with their salary, they would write a formal and polite letter to their boss. If nothing was resolved they would get their lawyer to write a formal and polite letter. etc etc. If it was found that the salesperson was faking sales to get comissions he would be very embarassed and would go hide in the shadows for a long time. He would likely face some court proceedings againt him for his fraudulent actions.

If an SI affiliate (or any internet based sales person) has an issue, things are suddenly rather different. They tend to post all sorts of slanderous and highly emotive things in public places for all to see. If it is found they are cheating they come up with all sorts of crazy excuses (in public places) and somehow feel that because this is the internet, normal procedures of business and dealing with people and crime don't apply.
Old 11-10-2003, 11:06 AM   #21
tobiasussing

i second that statement, very good argument maddeningcrowds
Old 11-10-2003, 04:00 PM   #22
sdarken

I know I'm a bit late but I wanted to add my 2 cents worth. I've used S.I for many years (probably close to 4 years now). I've always been paid.

As someone suggested earlier, badly run companies dont tend to survive. S.I's longevity speaks for itself.

Follow the rules and ask questions if you are in any doubt about what you are doing and you should be fine.
Old 11-10-2003, 04:10 PM   #23
Gracklor

Some of SI's programs net me a lot of money...some don't....but I've always been paid.

As a side-thought, sometimes a site will suddenly have weird clicks show up because a foreign webmaster will try to pull content or graphics from your site. I actually had that happen with my joke site...it got to the point where 30% of my visitors were from China. (And considering the fact I only advertise in English-speaking countries, that's weird.) I was eventually forced to modify my htaccess file to block IP addresses from China.

So, sometimes you have to keep your eyes open...that way you can catch things before stricter companies like SI say, "hey, you've got a lot of invalid clicks."
Old 11-10-2003, 05:25 PM   #24
Robert from SI

Interesting thread.....

Running an affiliate/advertising company is a lot like being a goaltender in hockey. When you're doing your job right everyone is quiet...but make one mistake and the red light goes off and 20,000 people stand up and scream.

There is an issue of certain people complaining that they were dropped for "one little mistake" and that they are owed money. There is a HUGE difference between making a mistake in html or in understanding our terms and fraud. No one is EVER cancelled from SI for making a mistake. We work way too hard to get new affiliates to cancel one because they made a coding mistake. Affilaites who make mistakes are notified and given more than ample time time to correct anything our admins find. There are numerous posts by persons in this thread attesting that SI contacted them to correct mistakes.

Fraud is a different story. If you attempt to intentionally defraud our company we cancel your account and we do not service your account in any way. If you disagree with SI's policy towards cheaters than you shouldn't use our programs.

The person complaining in this thread had a paragraph on their site telling surfers that they needed to pay their server bills and to to click on allclicks ads and then click back to the site so that they could make money and support the site. This isn't a "little mistake" it's fraud. This webmaster is not "owed" any money for sending us fake traffic any more than a quack doctor is "owed" by a patient for fake medical care.

If you were buying traffic to send to your site to sell a product or service would you want to be charged for traffic like that? Of course not...

SI is different from most other companies because I get personally insutled when persons badmouth SI unjustly. When I read nonsence posted by a fraudster I respond to it. And nothing infuriates a cheater more than being exposed for what they are. I also take great pride in noting exactly how many of the folks who badmouth us are actually still around....the number is miniscule...

I take great pride that SI has never missed an affiliate payment in 6 years. I have seen many companies come and go on geektalk in that time. I've also seen many "the advertiser never paid us so we can't pay our affilaite" posts. During the dot com bust (and the Worldcom bankruptcy) SI took huge hits in our accounts receivable. Worldcom alone owed us close to 7 figures when they went bankrupt. Our affiliate payments went out on time and in full that month just as it has ever month before and since.

I sincerely appreciate the positive comments. I also respect the opinons of webmasters who prefer to use other programs. There are a lot of very bright folks on this forum...I've learned from you over the years and strive to run the best ad network I can while keeping both our affiliates and our advertisers pleased.
Old 11-10-2003, 06:04 PM   #25
Steve_S

Respectfully members. thanks for your participation. The thread has run it's course so I'm locking it.

Collectively, we have provided more than enough data to "maximus" so this member may make up their own mind. Dare I say, a ton of data and some really fantastic posts about how to tell the "truth" from either "half truths" and or bold faced untruths.

Stay tuned for my own Ebook on this issue which includes real emails and data going back over 5 years </joke>

The purpose of this thread as defined by member "maximus" has been achieved.

In this regard, you are certainlly encouraged to file your money/they owe me dispute issues as per this Forums Rules. The procedure and rules are located at:

http://www.geekvillage.com/posting_g...r_bb.htm#item5

Additional comments with respect to my actions and or how we run theses Forums are always encouraged via our BB Feedback Form and only this form. See:

http://www.geekvillage.com/feedback_form_for_bb.htm

Thank you in advance for your anticipated cooperation and good luck to all of you.

Last edited by Steve_S; 11-10-2003 at 06:07 PM.