Webmaster Forum Rules | Posting Guide | Contact Us | Testimonials | Contributing Geek Program | Advertise on Geek/Talk
Welcome to the GeekTalk Webmaster Discussion Forums from GeekVillage.com

Click Here To Register. It's Free!

Go Back   geek/talk: Signature-free discourse for serious web publishers > YOUR REVENUE: Making Money On The Internet > Making Money from Online Audio, Video and Web 2.0 Applications
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-02-2008, 08:02 PM   #1
Czar

Webmaster

Question Facebook plans to start sharing more data for profit

The social network site, which is still struggling to discover a workable revenue model to drive growth, thinks that the sharing of more user data with third-party sites could assist in pushing profits forward.

The company plans to unveil a platform, named Facebook Connect, that would allow members to use their Facebook IDs to log in to other sites (such as the Discovery Network and various news and ecommerce properties). In exchange, they would share data with the partner site about the member's preferences and the partner site would, in turn, share data with Facebook about what interests the member. Both sites would then be able to better tailor advertising and other offerings to what the consumer needs.

Personally, data sharing of this sort always makes me nervous and I wouldn't want to be sharing my own information in this manner. What do you think? Is this a win-win-win for the three involved parties, or does this offer no real benefit to the consumer/member?

Follow Geek/Talk's Twitter Feed and Facebook Page to stay up to date with new discussion threads and online ad industry highlights.

Important GeekVillage Links: Home | Rules | Posting Guide | Report Trouble | Feedback | Advertise on GV
Czar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2008, 10:21 AM   #2
Zila1

In this case I'll never use my facebook ID for logging in. If need to find smth i wll do it without any advertisement. and of course I don't want to share my personal information with anyone i don't know
Zila1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2008, 09:39 PM   #3
GrAveTzT

I knew this was comming.

They probably already were doing this.
GrAveTzT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 01:14 AM   #4
maxim79

We'll never find it out, if they really were doing it.

But, there's access to info from both inside, and outside. Your information is no more private.
maxim79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2009, 04:17 AM   #5
wsz

Facebook has already been used for service of court documents in Australia and New Zealand.

OTOH, there is an established precedent in the USA, that such service can, as a last resort, be simply published in a newspaper ("You Are Being Sued, etc, etc...")

Facebook was also used to catch a welfare cheat in NZ, who claimed to be a solo mum at the dole office, and flaunted her de facto relationship online.

If you are applying for a job - or if you might ever apply for a job in the future - you should assume that a prospective employer WILL do multiple Web searches on you. And, as time passes, those searches will get deeper and deeper.

Sometimes, there may be good reason to be concerned about someone's background. I do a quick Google on aquaintences, and sometimes find interesting things, bad, good, and neutral. I would certainly do some digging if I were in a position of hiring anyone.

OTOH, I know of at least one case where ancient net.archives resulted in some VERY immoral job discrimination and harassment against an innocent person.

Me? I am blessed with very common first and last names. "Ego-Surfing" is interesting to see my accomplishments. I'm a globe-trotting actress, and television hostess, print journalist, athlete, political dissident, scientist (in several fields), philanthropist, poet, university intellectual, minor royalty... and even a pouting Facebook skank.

Last edited by wsz; 04-25-2009 at 04:21 AM.
wsz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2009, 10:14 PM   #6
Czar

Webmaster

So which one's the real you? The poet or the skank?

Follow Geek/Talk's Twitter Feed and Facebook Page to stay up to date with new discussion threads and online ad industry highlights.

Important GeekVillage Links: Home | Rules | Posting Guide | Report Trouble | Feedback | Advertise on GV
Old 04-26-2009, 11:41 AM   #7
Del

What does OTOH stand for?

Don't employers also search using your provided email address? That would seem to be an easy way of finding a facebook or myspace account too.
Every time I see something like this, I feel happy knowing that I rarely use my real name online. I have so many emails one more, say one with my real name, to use on job applications wouldn't be too hard.
Del is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 11:58 AM   #8
Czar

Webmaster

OTOH = On The Other Hand

Old 09-28-2011, 04:10 AM   #9
hboss

Facebook is already a profitable site for us..you can get popularity of your website link and get promote your business freely..and can post free video for advertisement..
hboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 03:04 AM   #10
satseo
Member.

so wats wrong in that if facebook wants to share the information.
satseo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2015, 06:12 AM   #11
saanvikadam

Facebook is grate medium for promoting your website or your business.
saanvikadam is offline   Reply With Quote