Webmaster Forum Rules | Posting Guide | Contact Us | Testimonials | Contributing Geek Program | Advertise on Geek/Talk
Welcome to the GeekTalk Webmaster Discussion Forums from GeekVillage.com

Click Here To Register. It's Free!

Go Back   geek/talk: Web publishing business discussion > YOUR REVENUE: Making Money On The Internet > Making Money with CPC and/or CPM Programs
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-15-2000, 09:55 PM   #1
tomhawks

Smile Anyone been buying the Asian domains?

I got some good ones. Anybody else?
tomhawks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2000, 12:22 AM   #2
Edwin

Unhappy

I presume you mean the new multilingual domain names? I bought around 45 Japanese ones, but it later turned out Registrars.com messed up (overloaded database) and 8 of them were actually not registered (despite the fact I was initially charged for them) and went to somebody else.

Best ones? Probably sonota.com/net/org (in Japanese kanji, of course) and mono.com/net/org (in hiragana)

Edwin

------------------
Free Email Address Directory: 1,000+ free email services. http://www.emailaddresses.com/
Edwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2000, 05:41 AM   #3
tomhawks

Unhappy

You presume correctly.

That's why I like register.com. They usually don't ***** up like that or play games with the expired registrations. I picked up a good .net (soy.net) because someone failed to get the net registered in registering them all.

I got among others (Japanese)

StockExchange.com

I'm thinking about learning a little of the languages and making a few sites. The characters are so detailed and beautiful. Even if the names turn out to be worthless or not used, I'm glad I got them.

[This message has been edited by tomhawks (edited 11-17-2000).]
Old 11-17-2000, 08:48 AM   #4
tomhawks

Smile

What does sonota mean?
Old 11-17-2000, 03:21 PM   #5
Edwin

Unhappy

Sonota is hard to translate, but it essentially has the same meaning as "etc." - I reckon it's used more widely in Japanese than "etc." is used in English though...

So any list of items almost invariably looks like: item1, item2, ..., itemn, sonota

"mono" means "goods" or "things" and is also widely used.

Edwin

------------------
Free Email Address Directory: 1,000+ free email services. http://www.emailaddresses.com/
Edwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2000, 08:34 AM   #6
tomhawks

Smile

I take back what I implied about Registrars.com. It's a good service. I like the pre register thing. I got some more good ones. I can see why they may be having problems with resolving the registrations. They were/are probably getting a million hits an hour.