Webmaster Forum Rules | Posting Guide | Contact Us | Testimonials | Contributing Geek Program | Advertise on Geek/Talk
Welcome to the GeekTalk Webmaster Discussion Forums from GeekVillage.com

Click Here To Register. It's Free!

Go Back   geek/talk: Signature-free discourse for serious web publishers > YOUR REVENUE: Making Money On The Internet > Making Money with CPC and/or CPM Programs
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-22-2000, 06:47 AM   #1
Knut

Question Sudden boost with my CJ stats

Hi there.

This is my first real post to this forum -
been a long time lurker, though :-)

Anyway, I'm curious whether anyone else noticed a sudden boost with the stats yesterday at CJ.

Two days ago I was "attacked" by some vicious robot (or at least someone behaving like a robot) that seemed to click and follow all links on my site back and forth over and over and OVER again.

The "robot"'s IP-address changed constantly (like an AOL user), and I'm afraid that it also followed all sponsor-links, generating a huge amount of false clicks.

The following day (yesterday) I noticed that my stats went wild on CJ - and I was credited about 10 times more click-throughs than I usually do.

My problem, of course, is that I don't want to be suspected of trying to inflate click-throughs myself.

BUT I can't really know for sure whether the "robot" actually followed the sponsored links or not. (There has been times at CJ before when stats are lagging a little behind - don't get me wrong - I love CJ :-)

I have contacted CJ's helpdesk and the merchants in question to explain the issue.
(No reply yet)

But - my question is - did anyone else receive a sudden boost with their CJ stats yesterday?

Has anything like this ever happened to you?

Are there any "robots" or agents I should be aware of that should be blocked from my sites?

------------------
Get more hits - <A HREF="http://www.clickthroughexchange.com" TARGET=_blank>
Join ClickthroughExchange.com</A>
Knut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2000, 09:57 AM   #2
MagicMan

Unhappy

Welcome to the Funny Farm Knut http://geekvillage.com/ubb/smile.gif

Yes, there are robots that follow everylink you have on your page. This has happened to us several times. In our case, they all happen to be AOL's spider, which ignores any kind of robot.txt and does whatever it feels like doing. In contacting them, they pretty much said "tough, that's the way it is". I contacted the affected merchants/advertisers and explained, and they have never dinged us or took away the stats. Honesty and being up-front does pay.
MagicMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2000, 12:13 PM   #3
Knut

Smile

I totally agree.

Thanks for welcoming me, btw :-)

The robot in question hit some of my pages
more than 100 times in less than an hour!

I have no idea what purpose it had -
I would have thought it got my content the
first time around :-)

(The robot wasn't any of the wellknown
spiders - it didn't really identify itself)

------------------
Get more hits - <A HREF="http://www.clickthroughexchange.com" TARGET=_blank>
Join ClickthroughExchange.com</A>
Knut is offline   Reply With Quote