Webmaster Forum Rules | Posting Guide | Contact Us | Testimonials | Contributing Geek Program | Advertise on Geek/Talk
Welcome to the GeekTalk Webmaster Discussion Forums from GeekVillage.com

Click Here To Register. It's Free!

Go Back   geek/talk: Signature-free discourse for serious web publishers > YOUR PERFORMANCE: Website Promotion, Marketing and Growth > Business Principles > StopScum
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-09-2001, 10:13 AM   #1
OC

Question Is KazAa spyware? I know BearShare is...

Some one posted in here that BearShare was spyware. Is Kazaa spyware? I recently found http://www.KazAa.com which allows you to search their network without their software (the search hasn't worked for weeks now). I was tempted enough to download their software, but my anti-virus software showed the attempts to change registries on my computer.

They seem to have a lot of users (I believe it is #4 or #6 on C|Net's Download.com). I was even able to find an MP3 of a rare song that was only released on tape millions of years ago (Perry Como's "I love you and don't you forget it", in case you're curious).

Is it SpyWare? What lists exist to check if it is? Pretty great Napster alternative (for downloading legal MP3 files), but I won't install it until a fellow geek gives me the go-ahead.
OC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2001, 03:19 PM   #2
gethosted

When I tried to install it, it would show at least 5 virus warnings that didn't even identify which virus scan they were from. The same happened every time I opened up the folder or tried to run the program.
gethosted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2001, 09:18 PM   #3
mjames

Another one that is most definitely a spyware program is AudioGalaxy. I tried it out and it was terrible.

I use MusicCity's Morpheus religiously. Anyone who hasn't should check it out!
mjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2001, 10:55 PM   #4
Gumyeelo1

LOL Morpheus is a bootleg of kazaa, they use kazaa server so doesn't matter if you use kazaa or morpheus you still download from the same server.. if you use morpheus and download a file that is unfinish. that file will have the "kazaa" and a bunch of numbers in it.

I haven't gotten any virus from the kazaa downloads.. but i gotton over 10 trogan. if you guys don't knwo what they are. they are prog that open a big back door for hacks.. so if you anti virus detect use this program "the cleaner" to get rid of the trogan cause anti virus won't do a thing to it.
Gumyeelo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2001, 06:24 AM   #5
LastActionHero

I have never had problems using Morpheus. You can just about find anything you want. Never got a Trojan maybe because I have a firewall installed. No viruses.

Morpheus has licensed the technology from Kazaa and use it to provide their own services. Since there is no central server system somewhat like Gnutella protocol technically speaking everything doesn't go through a central server except if you use their website.

The next version of Kazaa will have copyright protection built in but Morpheus will continue to be in it's current avatar. So i will stick with Morpheus
LastActionHero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2001, 12:12 PM   #6
OC

Morpheus is magnificient.

The only problem I have is that I actually have to disable my firewall software (Norton Internet Security / Antivirus) in order for it to be able to connect or download a thing.

The help section wasn't helpful. What rules do I have to set on my firewall so I can still keep myself protected while using Morpheus?
Old 08-10-2001, 12:35 PM   #7
LastActionHero

I use zonealarm no idea about Norton. It's simple with zonealarm the first time the program trys to connect to the internet zonealarm asks you whether the program should be allowed to connect or not. You can set the ports allowed also but that is only in the pro version.
LastActionHero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2001, 01:18 PM   #8
mjames

I want some more info regarding these trojans you can get. I know what they are, but can you get them for just downloading MP3 files from Morpheus? I have Norton Antivirus 2001 running that is updated, but I'm not able to run ZoneAlarm anymore since it crashed my system on SP1. Some sort of compatability issue. But I am on a dial-up, so I don't need it as much. Thanks.
mjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2001, 04:24 PM   #9
Uneek

Your talking about "MusicCity Morpheus" right? I did a search to download it myself and came up with that.
Uneek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2001, 04:40 PM   #10
OC

Yes, Musiccity Morpheus.

LastActionHero, Norton used to do that for software before I downloaded update files for it. Now that feature has dissapeared for many of my programs (including RealPlayer). I'm assuming many of the programs are all ready falling under another rule... if I could just figure out which rule that would be.
Old 08-10-2001, 04:51 PM   #11
sdarken

If the reports are correct, I would strongly recommend that webmasters here do not support KaZaa. This program installs a secondary piece of software ( TopText ) that adds it's own hyperlinks to sites that you visit using your browser. It's like a PPC search engine which hyperlinks from other people's sites - including yours. You lose traffic and the distributors of this software make money.

This is the same concept that Microsoft was trying to implement with their smart tags feature in IE6 but withdrew after public outrage.

You can read about this nasty piece of software that comes with KaZaa here on Slashdot

Last edited by sdarken; 08-10-2001 at 04:54 PM.
sdarken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2001, 04:56 PM   #12
Uneek

That's why i'll stick with WinMX instead.
Uneek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2001, 06:15 PM   #13
Steve_S
I am a Contributing Geek. Are You?

Thumbs down

I'm surprised no one picked up on the great point made by Senior Geek and defender of the truth "sdarken" Thank you!

This is a serious issue. The highest bidder inserts links on YOUR SITE without your prior consent using "TopText links" 6 million little geeks surfing around and they leave your site via a link you did not insert. If this continues, it represents a very serious threat.

I strongly suggest that you immediately email all your domain names which you want blocked to: support@ezula.com

I have not done this yet but I plan to very shortly.

HTH
Steve_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2001, 06:26 PM   #14
Steve_S
I am a Contributing Geek. Are You?

OK I see. I'm moving this to Making Money. That explains why we didn't have at least 75 posts.
Steve_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2001, 07:45 PM   #15
OC

I saw the Top Text option during installation. It is optional, but the box to uncheck is easily over-looked by the fast installer. It is only in the Kazaa software itself (which appears to have 3 other peices of "partner software" along with it).

I was able to get Morpheus to work (I had to delete a rule I had made too strictly), and I must sincerely thank the 3 or 4 GeekTalkers who persuaded me to try it out. I'm astounded I can find songs that were only released once in 1963.

How do you know you've received over 10 trojans through the Kazaa/MusicCity network? Anything I should be doing to prevent this? Perhaps I should scan my Shared Files folder.

Last edited by OC; 08-10-2001 at 07:57 PM.