Webmaster Forum Rules | Posting Guide | Contact Us | Testimonials | Contributing Geek Program | Advertise on Geek/Talk
Welcome to the GeekTalk Webmaster Discussion Forums from GeekVillage.com

Click Here To Register. It's Free!

Go Back   geek/talk: Signature-free discourse for serious web publishers > YOUR FOUNDATION: Web Hosting & Domains > Web Hosting Discussion
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-18-2001, 11:35 AM   #1
singloon

GeekGuide

Cool 1U Athlon MP 1500 - 1800 servers!

Quote:
EINUX SHIPS FASTEST AND MOST COST-EFFECTIVE DUAL AMD 1U RACK SERVERS

(Los Angeles, California) Einux, in conjunction with AMD, today launched the fastest 1U rackmount servers available in the industry utilizing AMD's (NYSE: AMD) new Athlon MP 1500+, 1600+ and 1800+ multiprocessing processors for servers, also announced today. The A.Serv Flybird 1U RackServer features two Athlon MP processors, operating at up to 1.533GHz, making it the fastest server on the market today in a 1U (1.75" height) platform. Starting at a price of $1,895, the Flybird 1U is also one of the most cost-effective 1U dual CPU servers available and is an excellent addition to Einux's high density server solutions offering the lowest total cost of ownership (TCO) and total cost of management (TCM) the industry.
http://www.einux.com/PRAMDMP101501.html

any thoughts ? these would be bloody fast i guess

singloon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2001, 12:32 PM   #2
Ted S

Im sur eyou could build one (or have me build you one) for a lot cheaper

Seriously though, those machine specs look great, lots of ram, lots of processing power and lots of upgradeability. 1U cases are also cheap to co-lo as you surely know, mkaing them a killer deal. I might be missing the point but what make's this company's servers so much better thna another company's 1U dually?
Ted S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2001, 12:37 PM   #3
singloon

GeekGuide

i believe this is the only company so far to offer Athlon 1500, - 1800 MP dual servers at all. Everyone else is still only starting to offer Athlon 1.2ghz MPs

unfortunately from wht discussions it looks like 3 out 5 of the AMD 1.2ghz mps have problems and die - http://webhostingtalk.com/showthread...&highlight=amd

as building them myself if it had to be a functioning server, i couldn't if my life depended on it

i could try and have a messed up server

singloon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2001, 03:01 PM   #4
Steve_S
I am a Contributing Geek. Are You?

OK....fast as greased lightning Like all of you, I love this stuff BUT where is this:

Total Predictive Failure Analysis (PFA),

New IBM xSeries 330 - A very technical explanation from DI:

GeekVillage.com is located on these new dedicated servers. Some folks may think that PFA only helps you out when it comes to hard drives. This is right on most systems, but not on the IBM x330 -- the x330 monitors system memory, fans, CPUs, power, etc. The majority of the main systems that can fail are monitored. I'm generally going to know before a failure happens that something is wrong. This is a good thing.

These boxes do more than just the PFA -- they let me know when, for some reason, the box isn't booting up. They let me know when power got cut, and when it got restored. They have a hardware watchdog built in -- there's no Linux driver yet though I imagine IBM will get to that soon though. The IBM's also have something called 'lightpath' -- if for some reason, the PFA subsystem doesn't (or couldn't) notice a problem before hand, and the box does go down, a little yellow LED on the front comes on that tells me there's been a hardware issue. I can pull off the top of the box, press a button on the motherboard, and an LED will light up next to the component that failed, even down to the specific memory module -- no more replacing sticks of RAM and trying to fix by process of elimination.

This is stuff that only IBM has right now -- mainly because it's technology the Intel server department "borrowed" from the mainframe department. These boxes are in the 'Enterprise' section for a reason -- they're targeted at businesses who need higher levels of availability that can be offered on white boxes. Without these features, problem solving is reactive. You can only solve a problem once it's already bit you. With these features, it starts moving into the proactive realm, where we can solve a good chunk of the problems before they start causing damage. ~ Thank you DI

I can't tell you if this technology works yet because (knock on wood) the box just keeps running with no problems.
Steve_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2001, 03:58 PM   #5
Scuba

I will be very happy to replace my curent 2 X 1Ghz Xeon with a Dual AMD XP 1800+ on the Tyan mobo. I wrote about the tyan Thunder K7 at my site several month ago and very sorry to see that untill now my predictions have came true since I predicted it to be a faliure on the big servers market deu to the big OEMs not using it.
I am also happy to see that Tyan made a second version of the Thunder K7 called Tiger K7 that is a strip down cheap mobo with out the extra SCSI, double nic cards and integrated display cards and will be a perfect choice for people that want a Dual AMD for home use.
Scuba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2001, 09:44 PM   #6
Jan

Administrator

Red face

<offtopic>Sounds like you guys are talking Martian language or a secret code</offtopic>
Jan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2001, 04:07 AM   #7
LastActionHero

heh. When two Athlon fans get togethor this is how they talk

I'm an Athlon fan too.
LastActionHero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2001, 08:57 AM   #8
freakysid

Quote:
Originally posted by LastActionHero
heh. When two Athlon fans get togethor this is how they talk

I'm an Athlon fan too.
Yeah and those athlons need pretty big fans!
freakysid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2001, 11:11 AM   #9
Scuba

Talking

Jan, This si very simple.
Several month ago AMD went out with a new chipset product for the line of CPU they are making, Model is 760MP.
with this AMD anounced of a new CPU that will be and is avelable on the market namly AMD Athlon Thunderbirtd MP also known as Athlin Palomino or Athlon 4.
the next version of this chips have been named Athlon XP and marked with numbers from 1500+ to 1800+. Note that this is only a name and not Clock rate. for example the clock rate of the 1800+ is 1533Mhz still in it's nominal speed it is faster then a 2Ghz Intel P4.
(I can get much more technical if you like )

I just finished to install sets of memory coolers from Termaltake and some 3 60G IBM's in fand cooled drowrs (raid 0 config).
I expect the extra storage to be full untill the end of sunday.
A order for a new display card have also being placed and with little luck my new Dual monitor 128Mb card will be here on manday morning. They are making a special delivery from nl to at.
just for me
Scuba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2001, 12:41 AM   #10
Jan

Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by Scuba
Jan, This si very simple.
Yes Scuba
Quote:
I can get much more technical if you like
Next time maybe

(although I must admit your expanation is a bit clearer this afternoon that it was first thing this morning)

Last edited by Jan; 10-20-2001 at 12:46 AM.
Jan is offline   Reply With Quote