Webmaster Forum Rules | Posting Guide | Contact Us | Testimonials | Contributing Geek Program | Advertise on Geek/Talk
Welcome to the GeekTalk Webmaster Discussion Forums from GeekVillage.com

Click Here To Register. It's Free!

Go Back   geek/talk: Signature-free discourse for serious web publishers > YOUR CREATION: Building & Maintaining A Web Site > Web Design and Webmaster Issues
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-22-2001, 07:07 PM   #1
Doc

Angry Advice needed - Someone is replicating my site!

Hi All,

Well I've taken some time away from one of my sites (net burnout). I'm just starting to get back into it again and so I thought I would take a few moments to check out my traffic logs. Well, I like to look at the referrers to see where people are coming from. If I notice one I don't recognize I visit the site to see what's what.

To cut to the chase, I found a site www.webmasterlook.com that is copying portions of my site. Not exactly copying, more like loading the content from my host directly. For an example, go to http://www.profitstogo.com/allclicks.htm and then go to http://www.webmasterlook.com/ and click on AllClicks on the ride hand side.

What's even worse is that my navigation buttons are being used as well! My entire site can be loaded from this impostor's.

My question is, what is the best way to get this nonsense stopped immediately? A cease and desist letter? Any tips are appreciated.

------------------
ProfitsToGo.com - Insightful reviews of top webmaster programs.
Doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2001, 09:05 PM   #2
Doc

Unhappy

Alright....found this:
http://www.webmasterlook.com/affilia...ms-ratings.htm

that's just plain pitiful...even left my site name in this one...

------------------
Old 03-23-2001, 02:36 AM   #3
Arie

Unhappy

I doub't complaining will help, since this site is located in China.

I would investigate using Mod_Rewrite to block his domain from your site.

------------------
Regards,

Arie Slob,
InfiniSource, Inc.
http://www.infinisource.com
Internet & Windows Resources

[This message has been edited by Arie (edited 03-23-2001).]
Arie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2001, 10:31 AM   #4
Czar

Webmaster

Unhappy

This has happened to my site on several occassions. It's always disheartening, and my response has always varied depending on my mood. http://geekvillage.com/ubb/wink.gif

If you're like me, you can either ignore the site under the premise that is the thieving webmaster doesn't have the intelligence to create his own original content, people are more likely to visit your own site for info.

Alternatively, you can sent conplaint emails both to the webmaster, and to the host. I've successfully shut down several copies of my site in the past through this method (hosts generally take intellectual property abuse complaints seriously). Sometimes, though, you'll see the offending webmaster turn around and switch hosts, only to do the same thing again.

You have to weigh up whether or not the battle is worth your time and effort to pursue.

------------------
Czar
Czar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2001, 10:33 AM   #5
Steve_S
I am a Contributing Geek. Are You?

Arrow

Arie is correct. This will be a tough nut to crack given the location.

However, the hosting company appears to be a VERY VERY large one with at least the apperance of concern:

Read this page which is in English:
http://www.net.cn/aboutus/aboutus.htm

1) Take screen captures and code captures of all the relavent pages

2) Save all your correspondence.

3) Ask them (the host) to terminate hosting privileges within xxx hours.

4) Remeber their local time and date please.

5) No responce then CC to NSI as they are a partner

HTH

------------------
Best regards,
Steve_S
Administrator/Owner/Webmaster/Tribal Chief/Janitor
Read what our Members think of geek/talk.
Steve_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2001, 06:17 PM   #6
willsii

Cool

Hey Doc,
I am a fellow Aussie and I was wondering how much traffic you receive to your Profitstogo web-site.
I am thinking of making a affiliate review web-site but is it worth the time and effort?
Thanks,
Joe
willsii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2001, 12:11 AM   #7
Doc

Unhappy

I appreciate the opinions and the help from all, thanks geeks http://geekvillage.com/ubb/smile.gif

The fact that the site is in China really set me to believe I probably would have limited ability to "crack the nut" as Steve put it.

I figured it was worth a shot though, and I did contact the host. The response was:

--------------------------------------------
It has become to our attention regarding the matter your email mentioned today. We'd like to brief our policy of domain name registration and web hosting hereto for your reference. It is unlikely that the issue is relevant with our company thus we are unable to assist you upon present material you provided.

It's always our company's policy not to be involved in any dispute, accusation, loss and/or legal action between our customer and any third party. Any obligation and responsibility, arising from actual or possible infringement, dispute, accusation, loss or legal action related to customers' domain names and/or websites, webpages, shall be undertaken and dealt with by our customers themselves. So, should you get any question or confusion about the content of said website, please contact the website and domain name owner directly.

The customer has also promised to our company that any duty, risk and obligation, and any dispute, obligation and risk related to domain name or the content of the website, shall be undertaken by the customer himself. As an operationer, we have no obligation, authority or power to check whether the content of our customer's website violates or infringes any otherís legitimate interest or not unless we received court decision or administrative order of appropriate jurisdiction. Any dispute or suit related to such matter thereto shall be solved by and between the involved parties themselves and be irrelevant to our company.

In conclusion, our customer's behaviour shall be irrelevant to our company, nor shall our company be responsible for the content of customer's website. It's also out of our capability to judge whether violation or infringement occurs, which shall be the court's power and responsibility. Should get any court decision or administrative command, from appropriate jurisdiction, to close the said website, we are pleased to obey the order.

Please directly talk with the said domain name's contact as show below.
--------------------------------------------

Translated, that simply says "Sorry pal, we're not getting involved."

I'll probably contact the webmaster later today. Steve, should I still attempt to contact NSI or would that be inappropriate / futile?

willsii: Feel free to contact me via email with any questions you have. I'll try to shed as much light as I can.

------------------
Old 03-29-2001, 11:59 AM   #8
joma

Unhappy

I don't see what Network Solutions has got to do with it.

Check the domain block to see if you can identify the ISP's ISP, and complain to them as well.

Make sure you track down every ad network and affiliate program the pirate site is involved with, and complain loudly to them (unless the site has copied your affiliate code, in which case you'd only be getting yourself cancelled).
joma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2001, 12:08 AM   #9
Doc

Unhappy

The site's host is a partner of NSI. (that's where we drew the connection)

Thanks for the tip Joma, I started doing just what you suggested this morning. And yes, in some cases, my own referral code is still in the links. Every other program is fair game. http://geekvillage.com/ubb/biggrin.gif

------------------
Old 03-30-2001, 12:16 AM   #10
Steve_S
I am a Contributing Geek. Are You?

Arrow

Sorry to hear this.

In hindsite, I think Senior Memeber joma offered much better advice than my own thoughts about NS.

HTH

------------------
Steve_S
Administrator/Owner/Webmaster/Tribal Chief/Janitor
Read what our Members think of geek/talk.
"Adversity has the effect of eliciting talents, which in prosperous circumstances would have lain dormant." -Horace
Steve_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2001, 04:56 AM   #11
Rhea

Location: Oh drat these computers, they're so naughty and so complex. I could pinch them.
Unhappy

My sympathies, Doc! (I know how aggravated I get when someone 'borrows' a file from one of my sites and posts it to a high traffic BB.)

It occurred to me that there's one thing we might do to slow down folks who'd like to appropriate our sites. I've gotten in the habit of using the hyperlink format "pigpolka.htm" for internal hyperlinks, instead of "http://www.yuckles.com/pigpolka.htm". The shortcut makes it much simpler for a 'doppelganger' to swipe the site with a minimum of tinkering.

Best of luck to you getting satisfaction/resolution from the person who's 'rustling' your herd, er site. http://geekvillage.com/ubb/smile.gif

------------------
Rhea
www.yuckles.com
www.bigdancelist.com
Rhea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2001, 09:11 PM   #12
Doc

Unhappy

Good idea Rhea!

As for the rustler of my herd, he's gone http://geekvillage.com/ubb/biggrin.gif (for now)

------------------