Webmaster Forum Rules | Posting Guide | Contact Us | Testimonials | Contributing Geek Program | Advertise on Geek/Talk
Welcome to the GeekTalk Webmaster Discussion Forums from GeekVillage.com

Click Here To Register. It's Free!

Go Back   geek/talk: Signature-free discourse for serious web publishers > YOUR CREATION: Building & Maintaining A Web Site > Web Design and Webmaster Issues
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-14-2000, 10:45 PM   #1
DJ_B

Unhappy Future of the internet

Gosh! How people have totally missed the boat when it comes to the internet!

I recently went to the pets.com website, only to find that it had been shutdown, due to insuffient funding!!!??? I thought pets.com was one of the few internet companies that was succeeding. Anyways, pets.com is just one of thousands of examples, where high price internet IPO's have flundered.

The internet wave has to be one of the biggest finacial flops ever (or at least in America)!. Yet, investors do not seem to realize investiing there money in a start-up internet comany is a waste. In fact, my father is trying to raise a couple million for his IPO. Has he had troubles finding investors? Hardly. 3 seperate groups have already flown up to Vancouver to take a look at his company. All have been seriously interested.

My father knows that the chances of him being any different from the rest of these overpriced internet companies, and succeeding is very unlikely. Sure, it will bring in some money, but not the millions investors are expecting it to. Lucky, his "internet company" is only an extension of his already successful offline business.

So my question is, where do you guys see the future of the internet going? Obviously, many webmasters on this BB have caught the boat. I know there are many webmasters here who are making 6 figure incomes from there individually run website(s). Are us webmasters here the future of the internet? Do you expect to ever see another internet boom?

DJ_B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2000, 12:12 AM   #2
JakeJeck

Unhappy

I just don't understand how it takes 300+ employees to run alot of these internet companies. Especially the ones that don't have a brick and mortar counterpart store.

One good example is AllAdvantage. They had 300 employees? Why???? Paid4Surf was created by a 15 year old in his basement and was run by less than 10 people. Surfing Prizes(now defunct) was ran by 3-4 people.

I think the future of internet profitable companies will be in smaller companies WHO HAVE EXPERIENCE ON THE WEB and know what the hell they are doing. Just because Joe Blow has a degree from M.I.T. doesn't mean he knows how to actually get visitors to a website. Once they're there can he keep them there(stickiness)? Can he SELL a product to a visitor?

oh....but he has a degree........

Nothing makes up for experience.
JakeJeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2000, 12:48 AM   #3
bencpro

Unhappy

I think its just a natural evolution.

In the last boom there was millions of dollars thrown into faulty business plans hoping to get rich.

Even though theres alot of losers, theres some winners too.

I think one thing that has to happen is more technically advanced methods of accepting payments. One of the dirty little secrets on the net is the amount of consumer fraud that goes on. When someone buys something on the net it needs to be without a shadow of a doubt that it was that person making the purchase.

------------------
http://www.trafficfind.com Link Trading Directory
http://www.sepromotion.com Search Engine Stuff
bencpro is offline   Reply With Quote