Webmaster Forum Rules | Posting Guide | Contact Us | Testimonials | Contributing Geek Program | Advertise on Geek/Talk
Welcome to the GeekTalk Webmaster Discussion Forums from GeekVillage.com

Click Here To Register. It's Free!

Go Back   geek/talk: Signature-free discourse for serious web publishers > YOUR PERFORMANCE: Website Promotion, Marketing and Growth > Marketing Your Website Online
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-01-1999, 12:14 AM   #1
Questy

Default Don't use the Internet!

Don't use the Internet!

I hope that headline sparks your interest, as well as get some folks to share some ideas.

Much of what the other forums are talking about is using the internet to promote the internet. I see a missing element here, and hope this forum can shed some light and spark some thoughts.

I'd like anyone having any stories of using anything but the internet to promote their web site to share their stories with us.

Personally, I'm trying to get people to visit my website before they visit the web. I've seen all kinds of numbers, 40 million new web surfers hitting the highway this year. Even if I can catch a small percentage of these, get them while they are new, I hope to "grow" faithful followers.

On a nationwide level, I can target speciality interests by fairly low cost ads in magazines.

On a local level, I can advertise cheaply with top of mind awareness, and brand recognition, by passing out very inexpensive pens, cups, mugs, magnets, with my pitch and URL.

I could trade services with a newspaper, magazine, or radio station, in exchange for a tag line that would be embedded in the minds of their current clients.

Any ideas on how to NOT use the internet to promote your web site?

Questy

------------------
The small business and technology guru,
It's not just a job, it's an addiction!
www.computerguru.net

[This message has been edited by Questy (edited 02-28-99).]
Questy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-1999, 04:44 PM   #2
Terrahab

I have a lot of crazy hobbies, sci fi stuff, aliens and the like (that's where the name terrahab comes from!).

A lot of sites are just rehashed information from books and magazines and TV shows. Isn't there copyright issues here?

Short of creating my own characters, or making stuff up like those weekly world news tabloids at the supermarket check out counter, how could I turn my hobby into a business?
Terrahab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-1999, 08:42 PM   #3
Questy

RE: how could I turn my hobby into a business?

How do I answer that in 50 words or less??? Hmmm....

My "hobby" websites are just for the fun of it. I have some original writing, I have some original artwork. I guess I'm handicapped by the fact that my profession is technology, so I spend too much time on the web learning technology, rather than just having fun. I wish I had more time to spend on music and philosophy web sites, which are my pleasures. I still plan to find the time to develop a philosophy website. I never really expect that site to be a commercial giant, but hopefully it will develop into something.

I guess that's the way I would feel about any hobby turning into a business. Don't give up the love of the hobby. Build a web site to promote your passion for your hobby. And then, and only then, see what you can wrap around your web site.

Do you want to sell a product that your viewers would enjoy? Why not create an icon or identity, much like Netscape has done with it's Mozilla character, and sell products with that icon or logo on it. That's a win-win situation. You sell products with your logo on it, make money from that, and in turn as folks display your logo, they are marketing for you! Cool idea eh?

There's some off the top of the head ideas. Any specific questions???

------------------
Regards,
Questy

The small business and technology guru,
It's not just a job, it's an addiction!
www.computerguru.net

Old 09-06-1999, 10:59 PM   #4
Questy

I couldn't pass up this opportunity to re-hash this old sermon of mine!

Here's a short cut from the recent "SmartAge News for Your Small Business" e-mail newsletter:

Online promotions such as banner advertisements, search engine listings,
and electronic newsletters are not the only ways to get customers and prospects to your company's Web site. You can also build traffic through offline initiatives. A newspaper article, an advertisement, or simply printing your Web address on your shopping bags can make people aware of your Internet presence and drive them to your site.

Exactly! http://www.very-cool-stuff.com/ubb/wink.gif

[This message has been edited by Questy (edited 09-07-99).]
Old 09-07-1999, 07:55 PM   #5
ShaneD

We have a local computer magazine on the gulf coast readership of about 5,000 I advertise my sites and also write a article every month. And get alot of response to this method of advertising.

Shane

------------------
Full Time Geek
www.searchlynx.com

[This message has been edited by ShaneD (edited 09-07-99).]
ShaneD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-1999, 09:19 PM   #6
Questy

Shane,

Glad to see you're still lurking out there!!! http://www.very-cool-stuff.com/ubb/smile.gif

Also Glad to see you get an "A+" in this weeks Marketing 101 assignment! http://www.very-cool-stuff.com/ubb/smile.gif

Regards,
Questy
Old 09-08-1999, 12:13 AM   #7
KidKilowatt

Questy, I was searching the net for business card templates and I came upon this site http://www.cdcardz.com/ they offer business cards that are really cd roms. Looks pretty kewl, this way you can promote your site away from the internet... yet bring them to the net with curiousity. I'm gonna send in for a quote when I am more awake.. seems like a kewl idea if it is cost effective.
KidKilowatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-1999, 01:53 PM   #8
Questy

Kid,

Sounds like a very cool idea, I'm having trouble getting into http://www.cdcardz.com/ , it's asking me for a username and password. Is there somewhere I need to join first?
Old 09-08-1999, 06:13 PM   #9
ShaneD

Oh yes i am always around at least once aday http://www.very-cool-stuff.com/ubb/smile.gif cannot forget my friends and spending some time at VP as I am a moderator there.

------------------
Full Time Geek
www.searchlynx.com

ShaneD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-1999, 07:39 PM   #10
Steve_S
I am a Contributing Geek. Are You?

Great thread http://www.very-cool-stuff.com/ubb/biggrin.gif

I just hired two young folks who will stand on a public sidewalk, which is next to the driveway for our local Fry's Computer store. It's a huge place with thousands of shoppers every week. A very geeky place http://www.very-cool-stuff.com/ubb/biggrin.gif

One "person" will display a sign and the other will distribute hand outs. One "person" is male and the other is female.

I think I'm OK with the local zoning and laws and all the legal stuff. Your City may be different so please check. Iv'e also invited the "media" as part of this promo. Some elements of this promo will be rather....well let's just say it's kinda unusuall.

Hey ShaneD!

Congrats and best wishes at VP. Jim's lucky to have you http://www.very-cool-stuff.com/ubb/biggrin.gif

------------------
Best Regards,
Steve_S
Your Administrator
www.very-cool-stuff.com Tons of High Quality Free Stuff
www.coolgroup.com Multi-Media Postcards & Community

[This message has been edited by Steve_S (edited 09-08-99).]
Steve_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-1999, 09:51 PM   #11
KidKilowatt

Questy Try this url http://www.cdcardz.com/html/cd_cardz_features.html

They are using something funky like maybe flash or something for their site. I don't remember joining anything first, but I was up late last nite, so maybe I picked up a cookie or something earlier... I don't remember. I just put in for a quote for a 1000 cards, their min. order. I will let you know what I find out.

Here is a bit from their website.

Welcome to the millenniums most innovative and creative way to set your company apart from your competition. The "CD Cardz™" are the same size as your current business card yet hold up to 32 megabytes. This allows for a presentation containing dynamic, interactive, and multimedia rich content, which will play in any computer CD-ROM/ DVD drive.

Best of all, it fits in your wallet! Think of the possibilities! Just imagine what you could do to your competition if you were competing for the same business, but you were using a high tech Multi-Media Presentation that looked like it cost thousands of dollars each but really cost less than a full color paper presentation.

[This message has been edited by KidKilowatt (edited 09-08-99).]

[This message has been edited by KidKilowatt (edited 09-08-99).]
Old 09-16-1999, 09:12 PM   #12
KidKilowatt

Got an estimate back... looks like minimum order is 1000 at $2.10 each ... a little pricey for me, but maybe some of you guys could go this route. Seems like a very cool idea. Would be pretty cool to hand out at a convention !

later,

Kid
Old 09-16-1999, 09:15 PM   #13
Questy

Kid,

Thanks for the update. Yes, I finally got to the site and checked it out.

Given to someone as a special hand out the 2 bucks a piece isn't all that bad a price. Many folks spend a lot more than that for a set of glossy brochures to hand out to a potential customer.