Webmaster Forum Rules | Posting Guide | Contact Us | Testimonials | Contributing Geek Program | Advertise on Geek/Talk
Welcome to the GeekTalk Webmaster Discussion Forums from GeekVillage.com

Click Here To Register. It's Free!

Go Back   geek/talk: Web publishing business discussion > YOUR REVENUE: Making Money On The Internet > Making Money with CPC and/or CPM Programs
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-15-2000, 08:25 AM   #1
goose

Cool AskJeeves lowered to 2 cents

Ask Jeeves are lowering their rate to two cents a click. Not worth it in my opinion. They are also discontinuing the Direct Hit programme. What concerns me is that in their email it seems to say they will only being paying out to people with a balance of over $25. If you have less does that mean you get nothing????

------------------
Freedom - a state of being without restraint.
goose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2000, 09:30 AM   #2
Silv

Unhappy

Things like this have a tendency to irritate me. An affiliate program with a nice payout (hey, the .03 wasn't too bad for a good search box like ask jeeves) changes it's rates after you've already had it integrated into your site. Your users are used to it.. and you make OK money with it. *poof* .. that money gets cut to 66%.

And.. yes, i'm pretty sure with the Direct Hit program ending, if you don't have $25, you don't get paid. I think i'm losing a lousy $17. It's not much, but enough to make one irritated.

It just seems like this has been a regular occurance with affiliate programs lately.

Silv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2000, 01:56 PM   #3
Katharena

Talking

...another one bites the dust! I don't do anything for 2 cents. Does AltaVista pay 3 cents?

------------------
Katharena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2000, 03:42 PM   #4
tqs

Unhappy

altavista, goto, lycos, infospace, and google pay 3cents per search (pretty sure)..
Then there's searchtraffic for 5cents. BTW- does anyone know how searchtraffic makes money?? most searches are just 3cents'd to Goto unless someone buys a term, right? Do they have a deal with goto?

I never really liked ask jeaves anyways.... http://geekvillage.com/ubb/wink.gif

------------------
Apprentice Webmaster Tools
Get your free text or graphic counter and many other cool webmaster tools. No registration required, one line codes.
tqs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2000, 09:37 PM   #5
fairhousing
Member.

Lightbulb

so their discontinuing a program and if u haven't earned a certian amount ($25) their just gonna keep ur money? http://geekvillage.com/ubb/eek.gif

------------------
Click 4 some tested resources for making money $, hosting, and web promotion.
My Site Got Hacked, But I'm Coming Back?
fairhousing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2000, 08:30 AM   #6
Silv

Arrow

fairhousing - with the Direct Hit affiliate program, yes... that's exactly what they are doing (per their letter).

I suppose for now I'll leave our ask jeeves boxes up, even though they've reduced the payout. It's highly annoying, and I'd rather not support them after something like this.. BUT.. the box is on a page by itself, and that page is the second most popular on my site. Some income is better than none.

It's still really disappointing. This (both the discontinuing and rate lowering) has happened to me now with three BeFree affiliate programs. I think i've only lost a grand total of $100.. but it's still annoying.

------------------
Silv
---
Are you lost on the internet?
Find what you need at http://www.infonesia.net
Your source for Search, News, and more!
Silv is offline   Reply With Quote