Webmaster Forum Rules | Posting Guide | Contact Us | Testimonials | Contributing Geek Program | Advertise on Geek/Talk
Welcome to the GeekTalk Webmaster Discussion Forums from GeekVillage.com

Click Here To Register. It's Free!

Go Back   geek/talk: Web publishing business discussion > YOUR CREATION: Building & Maintaining A Web Site > Web Design and Webmaster Issues
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-08-2005, 11:48 AM   #1
studcent

Default We need an ad server

We have always used phpadsnew, which is a free ad server. But we had also been warned how once a site reaches a certain point that phpadsnew would start to break down. We appear to have reached that point. There are absolutely enormous discrepancies between what our servers show us to be serving in terms of pageviews and what phpadsnew is delivering in terms of ads. We know that some of this discrepancy would be due to such things as ad blockers, but the difference has now reached crisis proportions. We simply need a professional ad server.

Can any of you recommend one? I know that Steve from Geek Village has highly recommended Advertpro and says that this site uses it and that it works very well. Does anybody else use Advertpro or have anything to say about it? I see Advertpro is pretty expensive, but we seem to be leaving a lot of money on the table by using phpadsnew.

Any feedback is very much appreciated. Thanks.
studcent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2005, 03:39 PM   #2
thegauntlet

How many daily ads are you running? I have seen PHPAdsNew run 15M a day on the newer versions of software. I server 500,000 daily on mine no prob.
thegauntlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2005, 04:50 PM   #3
studcent

we are serving about 2 million ads per day. when we were serving 500,000 ads per day, we had no problems. it appears that we aren't having problems. the ads serve. but our reports show us serving just a fraction of what we THINK we are serving and what we know we should be serving. something is wrong - seriously wrong. for example, we have one mini-site that supposedly gets about 50,000 pageviews daily. It has a top ad and a skyscraper on every page. So back in October, if our traffic stats said we had 50,000 pageviews for the site, it would show about 50,000 top ads served and 50,000 skyscrapers served. Now if our traffic stats show us serving 50,000 pageviews in a day, our phpadsnew will report about 12,000 top ads served and 12,000 skyscrapers served. Something is wrong.
Old 07-08-2005, 06:40 PM   #4
DougM

Quote:
Now if our traffic stats show us serving 50,000 pageviews in a day, our phpadsnew will report about 12,000 top ads served and 12,000 skyscrapers served
Are you certain your page views are correct? One way they can be off is if SSI is used to include pages for borders and such. In a case like this one actual page view could count as 5 (with 4 borders) Here's a question for you: How many unique visitors are generating 50K page views?

If, as you say, the count was accurate before and nothing else has changed then none of this may apply.
DougM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2005, 07:36 PM   #5
Czar

Webmaster

To answer the question posed via PM, yes, I certainly do share Steve's veiws about AdvertPro. The system has proven flawless during the past eight months or so that I've been keeping an eye on things and I'm very confident that the software would continue to hold up under dramatically greater levels of activity.

The other enterprise-grade system that iOnline has used to much success is ThruPort AdJuggler. That's a very high-end system that is infinitely expandable. AdJuggler has load balancing and distributing features built in to the software designed to enable multiple servers to deliver billions of ads monthly, if so required. Mind you, the system remains expensive; so much so that I've started transitioning away from the product after several years of loyal use.

I use phpAdsNew on smaller sites, without trouble, but continue to hear mixed reports about the software's ability to maintain accuracy at higher loads. Newer versions of the software do seem more robust and should be able to crunch data on several million ad impressions monthly on a VPS or entry-level dedicated server. Your requirements, however, are probably going to be better met by a more enterprise-grade product.

Another consideration to take into account is that of perception. Even if phpAdsNew is able to deliver 2 million impressions daily across your network, advertisers who are familiar with certain ad management products may themselves become nervous if they find that the popular open source product is being used to manage their campaign(s). Sometimes, for better or worse, this is reason enough to migrate to a branded commercial system.

Follow Geek/Talk's Twitter Feed and Facebook Page to stay up to date with new discussion threads and online ad industry highlights.

Important GeekVillage Links: Home | Rules | Posting Guide | Report Trouble | Feedback | Advertise on GV
Czar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2005, 11:40 PM   #6
studcent

Thanks so much for the feedback, guys. Czar, Advert Pro supports load balancing situations, doesn't it? We load balance everything through a bunch of servers.
Old 07-09-2005, 01:50 AM   #7
fireklown

hmm, I've been using phpAdsNew for years, currently using phpAdsNew 2.0.4 and never had a problem. Daily impressions are usually around 1.5-2.5M a day have it running campaigns for a number of my network sites.

I was going to switch to AvertPro at one time, then saw it was gonna cost over $3k and decided against it
fireklown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2005, 10:40 AM   #8
studcent

fireklown, do you have any load balancing on your servers? i'm a complete non-techie, but my sense is that this is where the problem lies. if we didn't have load balancing, then serving ads would be super straight forward. but this complicates things.

But fireklown, this is what we're thinking of doing first and maybe it will solve the problem. We have just added a new database server, so we are planning to make one of the old database servers a media server and that one server would serve all the ads. So the ads would no longer be load balanced among servers. And from what you and others are saying, it sounds like we should make sure to upgrade to a newer, more robust version of phpadsnew. Maybe this will solve the problem. It sounds like a new version of phpadsnew should be able to handle what we're doing. I guess my main concern right now is whether phpadsnew can handle load balancing. If it can, then it seems clear we should at least try it this way before spending $3000 on Advert Pro.

regarding doug's point about the pageviews - that of course is a concern. but i'm quite sure our pageviews count is accurate. my tech guy put together his own counting system that made sure to strip out all of those other things that were adding fake pageviews to some piece of freeware that we used to use. also, i know how inaccurate the rating systems like Nielsen are, but whenever we have checked what major rating systems show about us, they seem at least somewhat consistent with what we show our pageviews to be.
Old 06-09-2006, 08:42 PM   #9
AdMan

AdJuggler has really become aggressive with their pricing. Currentlt offering a $0.04 CPM with a $300 monthly minimum and includes geo-targeting from Quova.

Not a bad deal.
AdMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2006, 12:31 AM   #10
Czar

Webmaster

Great stuff!

AdJuggler is a brilliant platform and its targeting is dead-on. It was just priced out of an acceptable range for most indie publishers. If that has changed with this latest pricing shift, I expect that they'll take some business away from Falk, AdvertPro and perhaps even the open source alternatives.

Follow Geek/Talk's Twitter Feed and Facebook Page to stay up to date with new discussion threads and online ad industry highlights.

Important GeekVillage Links: Home | Rules | Posting Guide | Report Trouble | Feedback | Advertise on GV
Czar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2006, 07:59 AM   #11
Kathy

I'm wondering if the problem isn't with the phpadsnew software but with your server ad rotation or the cron for maintenance? Sounds like the reporting side of your config might need tweaking to make sure the reporting is accurate. I'd double check your log rotation, the crons, the settings in phpadsnew for reporting to make sure you haven't set a limit on depth of report. It could be a simply fix. While I use phpadsnew but not as many page views as you, I do know some webmasters who use it for 2+million page views per day without any problems with the reporting so I'm sure it can be managed.
Kathy is offline   Reply With Quote