Webmaster Forum Rules | Posting Guide | Contact Us | Testimonials | Contributing Geek Program | Advertise on Geek/Talk
Welcome to the GeekTalk Webmaster Discussion Forums from GeekVillage.com

Click Here To Register. It's Free!

Go Back   geek/talk: Signature-free discourse for serious web publishers > YOUR CREATION: Building & Maintaining A Web Site > Web Design and Webmaster Issues
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-18-2000, 02:40 PM   #1
ccole
I am a Contributing Geek. Are You?

Unhappy Perl vs PHP?

I'm curious as to other people's opinions about Perl vs PHP. Which is better, easier, faster, etc.? Do you like a third programming language (such as ColdFusion) better?

Personally, I am very pleased with PHP. I started off as a programmar of Perl, and found it a very hard language to learn, easy to make errors, and hard to fix them. However, Perl is a very powerful language (this message board is a good example of this).

Slowly I have switched over to using PHP, and I am much more pleased. It was TONS easier to learn (maybe because I already knew Perl, but I'm not sure), much faster, and a lot easier to solve problems with. I will hardly ever program anything in Perl anymore, because I find PHP to be everything that Perl can be and more!

I'd also like to hear your opinion on ColdFusion. While CF is expensive software, it is supposed to be another very powerful programming language (I have never programmed in it).

Okay, well, I believe I've typed enough for one post. Tell me what you think!

------------------
<A HREF="http://www.colehosting.com" TARGET=_blank>
http://www.colehosting.com</A>
Hosting, Custom CGI Scripts, and Design
ccole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2000, 11:58 PM   #2
JakeJeck

Unhappy

vBulletin should counter your post about (look at this BBS) http://geekvillage.com/ubb/smile.gif

I don't think you can beat the price of PHP and MySQL. As far as I know, both are still free? This combo is also lightning fast, which of course is good http://geekvillage.com/ubb/smile.gif

I didn't learn any "web languages" in college, but I know COBOL, CICS, Pascal, Assembly, C/C++, etc...and learning PHP is quite easy as the syntax is very english like/similiar to C. I've tried reading some perl code and always end up scratching my head saying WTH are they trying to do here?

Coldfusion: couldn't even tell you what it does.
JakeJeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2016, 07:22 AM   #3
daviddakarai

For a system administrator, Perl is much better than PHP, to the point that I don't think anyone uses PHP for system administration. Neither for Linux/Unix not for Windows. If a programmer, would you like to build mostly web applications or are you interested in back-end automation as well? For example test automation? Configuration management? For the back-end stuff Perl is way better than PHP.

Basically the only area where PHP might provide better career opportunities is the field of web development.

Mind you, that's a huge market, but there are other things as well that might interest you.

Last edited by daviddakarai; 01-28-2016 at 07:25 AM.
daviddakarai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 12:54 AM   #4
Karen Jain

PHP code gets embedded into HTML pages, unlike Perl. This makes it very fast to code web pages and fast to deploy a new site, thus speeding up Web development and lowering overall cost of ownership. An important code management technique for programmers is separating code from data. This allows us to make changes to the code or data without affecting the other. PHP uses the tags to indicate “code inside”. In Perl, however, programmers are encouraged to use print statements to generate the HTML. True it is possible to implement templates in Perl (with more difficulty than in PHP) to separate code and HTML, but 90% of sample Perl code on the web doesn’t do that. PHP is secure. Perl scripts tend to have more security holes. This is because PHP has built-in a lot of the internal operations of dealing with web page requests and serving information.
Karen Jain is offline   Reply With Quote