Webmaster Forum Rules | Posting Guide | Contact Us | Testimonials | Contributing Geek Program | Advertise on Geek/Talk
Welcome to the GeekTalk Webmaster Discussion Forums from GeekVillage.com

Click Here To Register. It's Free!

Go Back   geek/talk: Signature-free discourse for serious web publishers > YOUR REVENUE: Making Money On The Internet > Making Money with CPA Programs
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-17-2005, 11:39 PM   #1
DougM

Default RevSense from w3matter - Who's using it?

I have a site with RevSense from http://www.w3matter.com/ that has been sitting idle for months while I have juggled what I'm doing with in-house ads. I'm thinking of reviving it and wanted to know how others were doing with this script.

I recall our own leader Czar was going to use this. How's it working out Czar? What modifications have you needed to make it fly?

Anyone else?
DougM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2005, 11:59 PM   #2
Czar

Webmaster

I put our extended roll-out on hold to focus on other priorities, but I do intend to get back into the hack-and-launch some time during the next couple of months.

For now, I can't offer a tremendous amount of personal insight, unfortunately, but hope that some of our other members who took the AdRevenue/RevSense plunge will have a few tips to share...

Follow Geek/Talk's Twitter Feed and Facebook Page to stay up to date with new discussion threads and online ad industry highlights.

Important GeekVillage Links: Home | Rules | Posting Guide | Report Trouble | Feedback | Advertise on GV
Czar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2005, 11:49 AM   #3
DougM

Perhaps I'll be the first to write a review of it. I can tell you that out of the box I doubted that I would ever be able to make use of it. After some serious hacking I actually got to a point where I ran it for a few weeks but returned to phpAdsNew when I stopped selling text ads.

Now I'm thinking of using it to serve banners only. I'll probably contact a few of my favorite on-topic Japan/travel sites and give them enough credit to run banners and give it a good test. My own little beta launch.

If anyone is using, has used, or is considering this, then I'd just like to invite conversation on what it takes to make it work. To my knowledge it is still the only script out there that handles delivery, sales, stats and payment, but again, out of the box it has some features which just weren't acceptable to me.
Old 03-18-2005, 03:34 PM   #4
DougM

I may be talking to myself here but I think I've hit on something big. RevSense provides an external Java delivery code that can be dropped into phpAdsNew. This means that my off-site RevSense script can accept ads and payment automatically while the master delivery control is accomplished through on-site phpAdsNew. This could really work.
Old 03-18-2005, 07:46 PM   #5
Czar

Webmaster

That could do the trick.

I originally started working the other way; using RevSense more-or-less out of the box, but plugging in code derived from AdJuggler as a single campaign that carried a premium rate and was an avenue through which advertisers (billed through a separate system) could attain superior targeting and more flexible delivery options.

Your setup is obviously far more logical, in that RevSense's most saleable asset is its front end and its transaction and account self-management features.

Great stinking, DougM. This may be just the inspiration I need to get back into the hack attack also. The system's not perfect, but it's too user friendly to ignore. More testing required...

Follow Geek/Talk's Twitter Feed and Facebook Page to stay up to date with new discussion threads and online ad industry highlights.

Important GeekVillage Links: Home | Rules | Posting Guide | Report Trouble | Feedback | Advertise on GV
Old 03-18-2005, 08:04 PM   #6
DougM

I really think I've got it Czar. This gives it the delivery power of phpAdsNew with the user-friendly and automated interface.

Basically it enables amateur users to purchase, upload, and manage their own ads through phpAdsNew. I couldn't ask for more. I'll type out more on this as I get farther along.
Old 03-31-2005, 08:30 PM   #7
bradparks

Hi there!

Any more info on this approach, and if it's working out as good as it seemed it would ?

I'm really thinking of getting RevSense, but pretty much solely for the billing/invoicing interface it gives the clients....

The idea you had almost makes me think that this should be done in a shopping cart system like osCommerce or something, and then it generates the javascript source for embedding it's banners instead...

Thanks in advance!

Brad.
bradparks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2005, 09:02 PM   #8
DougM

Hi Brad and welcome aboard.

Please stand by before you make a decision on RevSense. I have done a lot and discovered a lot since this post was updated. I have been meaning to share more and since you brought it up, I will make it a point to do so tonight. It has not worked out as I expected -but- it has worked out. There are some things that may or may not work for you.
Old 03-31-2005, 09:18 PM   #9
Czar

Webmaster

Thanks in advance, Doug, and welcome to Geek/Talk Brad. I'm sure you'll find this community, and its all-so-generous members such as Doug, of great assistance when it comes to matters such as this.

Old 04-01-2005, 02:34 AM   #10
DougM

First, I don't want this to sound as if I'm bashing AdRevenue (aka RevSense) because I'm not. I simply had to make sweeping changes for it to work as I needed. All comments refer to a copy purchased in September of 2004. I did not see any revisions on their site. The screenshots on their website are not accurate. I think they show an older version. Templates in the script still have remnants of this style but they are not used.

I am also approaching this from a standpoint of integrating it into my existing site. The script is designed to operate as a complete site, index, terms/conditions, register, etc. I am using none of this. For me, this was an exercise in cutting away most of the interface to expose the core of the program - A solid, simple interface to phpAdsNew to accept payments and allow advertisers to manage there own campaigns without my intervention. I think I've done this.

This system of AdRevenue + phpAdsNew will take me beyond prior attempts to install a user-friendly adserver for one big reason. I am not replacing my old trusty adserver. I am simply adding an optional interface to it. If no one uses it, I'm out nothing. It just feeds into phpAdsnew via the remote java code produced for each zone. I am still using the same invocation codes produced by phpAdsNew in my pages as before.

I created my own HTML selling pages at mysite/advertise and installed the script at mysite/advertise/server. The only remaining link to the script is the LOGIN. I have deliberately broken all other links and done away with the pages as I quickly realized they would be unusable.

For example - The register form allows users to sign up and open an account without your approval or even notification. Same for publishers, they can sign up and grab code to start publishing ads on any site. Yikes! There is at least a feature to manually approve all ads but I'm not even using that. In the HTML interface I built, I created my own register form as I think it should be. I decided to manually approve all new advertisers and then automatically approve the ads.

While the script is built on simple HTML templates and a stylesheet, it is a bear to modify the style. It has the feel of having been passed down a few times and things do not work as you would expect. Some of the HTML templates are no longer even used or have large portions which are left over from an old style.

My advice - Remove the entire stylesheet and link it to your own. Starting from there will be much faster. Some elements will still retain formatting. This is because the PHP modules contain text formatting which must be hunted down bit by bit and changed if you're picky about a uniform style.

All in all, once you begin modifying the HTML templates it is quite easy. Mind the special tags which separate logged in from logged out etc. and you'll be fine just hacking away. Look for main.html to make most of the changes.

Go through the FAQ on w3matter as there are some zipped module replacements which may still be required for some minor bugs. Why can't I view stats when logged in as admin? Because there was one buggy module which needed to be replaced but I didn't know it until I sent them an email. Maybe this has been fixed?

To make this work as a front end for phpAdsNew keep this in mind - One zone in AdRevenue = One ad in phpAdsNew. This is important and limits your delivery control. I don't know how capping can be accomplished. In the end however, I am quite content with this.

Since I've typed out a short book, I'll leave it at this for now although I could go on. If anyone follows in my footsteps then please don't hesitate to ask why I did this or that. There's a lot more. To really see what it's all about visit my draft copy at http://www.japan-101.com/advertise There you can see screenshots of what it looks like after the hacking and get a feel for how I'm using it. Pay special attention to http://www.japan-101.com/advertise/control.htm as this shows the actual script. I'll let one or two GeekVillagers into it as users if requested.

Happy advertising.

Last edited by DougM; 04-01-2005 at 03:16 AM.
Old 04-01-2005, 01:14 PM   #11
DougM

I discovered that searching for the copyright text returns many other sites using this script. It is interesting to see what they've done. Just Google "Powered by AdRevenue"

I like what http://www.madden04.com/adrevenue/ has done. They have placed a radio button form right on their main ad page with links to each zone. You can't see the zone if not logged in but trust me, if you were logged then the form would take you straight to creating a new ad for that specific zone. Great idea.

http://www.xongoo.com/adrev/index.php shows an unmodified installation.

Last edited by DougM; 04-01-2005 at 01:48 PM.
Old 04-12-2005, 07:14 PM   #12
bradparks

Hi again!

Thanks for all the info... You've obviously got lots of experience with the 2 ad packages I've been considering, that being phpAdsNew and RevSense...

The big thing I'm looking for is phpAdsNew with a simple self-serve interface, and it sounds like this may be as close as I'll ever get to an existing package out there!

Thanks again,

Brad.
bradparks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2005, 03:23 AM   #13
Rivux
I am a Contributing Geek. Are You?

Instead of creating a new topic about RevSense I thought I would bring this one back since DougM provided lots of useful information and answered some questions I had after looking at the demo. I was just wondering if there was any update from Doug or Czar about their experience with RevSense? Did you get around to finishing your hacking Czar?
Rivux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2005, 07:28 AM   #14
Czar

Webmaster

Quote:
Originally posted by Rivux
Did you get around to finishing your hacking Czar?
It didn't quite suit my needs in the end; or, at least, I couldn't get it to work the way that I wanted. I ended up abandoning the project and seeking assistance from Geek/Talker kylebuttress in developing a custom system from scratch.

Back when I was playing, I found the software a little flaky and inconsistent in its behaviour - especially in regards to how it handled contextual targeting. That's not to say that the package hasn't improved since then, though. They've released a few newer versions since my play time, so your mileage may vary.

Old 11-29-2005, 12:34 AM   #15
DougM

Just noticed this update.

I did hack it a point where it worked well as described above. I'm an amateur so most here could accomplish this.

I have however abandoned it for reasons I did not forsee when I began. Primarily - I worry too much about letting others control ad space on this site. It might be OK if RevSense had better security/controls in place. For example, you might set the admin controls to approve every ad before it runs but users can still go back and modify an approved ad without your knowing. I'm overlooking the fact that out of the box anyone can sign up and become an approved advertiser or publisher without your approval if you don't hack a bit to stop it (this has some limited controls).

This may seem minor to some. Also consider that I currently only run banners from TF with a high number of blank defaults just because I find some banners on other networks unacceptable so adjust your tollerance level accordingly.

When I look at the cost of accepting CC's or PayPal plus support, a service like AdBrite with a 25% cut makes a lot of sense and this is where I'm leaning.

I think the RevSense model is sound and promising - keep all the profit with few hassles - I just couldn't quite get it to where I need it to be. It's been a while since I downloaded the script. See if they've updated it and proved me wrong. I might take another run if more control is added.