Webmaster Forum Rules | Posting Guide | Contact Us | Testimonials | Contributing Geek Program | Advertise on Geek/Talk
Welcome to the GeekTalk Webmaster Discussion Forums from GeekVillage.com

Click Here To Register. It's Free!

Go Back   geek/talk: Signature-free discourse for serious web publishers > YOUR REVENUE: Making Money On The Internet > Making Money with CPA Programs
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-08-2004, 01:33 PM   #1
JP Sauve
Member.

Default affiliate networks

We're working on a new network, one devoted as much to affiliate happiness as merchants. Aside from higher payouts, what would you like to see from an excellent ad network?
JP Sauve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2004, 01:55 PM   #2
EMINEM79

affiliate network and ad network are 2 different things :P

Unless you're doing both
EMINEM79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2004, 02:17 PM   #3
JP Sauve
Member.

I suppose you're correct. I'm talking about a network offering CPA ads to publishers/site owners.

Last edited by JP Sauve; 01-08-2004 at 02:31 PM.
Old 01-08-2004, 06:27 PM   #4
Czar

Webmaster

A few points that would be on my list are:
- Flexible placement terms (multiple site support, support for direct PPCSE placement, etc, on CPA/CPS offers).
- Data-rich but user-friendly reporting. Real-time updates a plus.
- Payment issued on NET30 terms or better. PayPal support a plus.
- Multiple linking options (deep linking and datafeeds would be great, but the ability to choose between text links and banners would suffice).
- EPC comparison feature to assist in identifying those offers that traditionally convert best.
- Support for international publishers.
- Existence of a publisher and/or merchant referral program a plus.

That's all that springs to mind at the moment. Quality support and the like are also necessities, and a publisher support forum would be nice, but Geek/Talk regulars would have little doubt as to your ability to provide knowledgeable support.

Best of luck with the new venture.

Follow Geek/Talk's Twitter Feed and Facebook Page to stay up to date with new discussion threads and online ad industry highlights.

Important GeekVillage Links: Home | Rules | Posting Guide | Report Trouble | Feedback | Advertise on GV
Czar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2004, 06:32 PM   #5
EMINEM79

Real time stats and Net30 or lower payment terms are big things to me.

I've never used anything higher then net45 and I could never wait something like Net105 or something
EMINEM79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2004, 09:07 PM   #6
jiminsd

Some type of rating/statistics system telling about other publishers experiences and conversion rates. This could be asking alot but maybe an area where publishers can give experiences with different individual ads (how they used them and the results).
jiminsd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2004, 10:58 PM   #7
Steve_S
I am a Contributing Geek. Are You?

Default Re: affiliate networks

Quote:
Originally posted by JP Sauve
We're working on a new network, one devoted as much to affiliate happiness as merchants. Aside from higher payouts, what would you like to see from an excellent ad network?
Dr JP

Good luck!

Some great thoughts gang.

Just something to think about:

1. Fruad control implemented and thoroughly tested before you launch.

2. A carefully chosen group of geeks to test the program before you go live. You know the heavy hitters here at GV so perhaps a PM to enlist their help. Then these founders become part of your training team since running a great in house program always involves training your sales agents aka Publishers.

HTH
Steve_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2004, 12:43 AM   #8
firstmark

I would suggest payment via multiple means; paypal, check, direct deposit, and multiple currencies if possible.

A good two tier program.

Guidlines to prohibit merchant sites from tampering with their site setups dramatically without notice. This is to prevent dead links, and traffic leaks put in after an affiliate starts sending them traffic.

Low minimum payout rates.
firstmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2004, 01:45 AM   #9
kams7ue

Direct deposit and paypal payments are preffered.
kams7ue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2004, 02:25 AM   #10
drbones

I think it would be really cool, if a advertiser would have the option of 'locking' in with the ad/affiliate network for x amount of time.
This would allow the premium offers(the ones locked in) to stand out... giving people the opportunity to build pages specifically around these offers. Its a huge inconvenience if you were to design a site around an offer and 2 weeks later their budget dies.

Not every company would have to lock in like this, but it would be awesome to see "Locked in until MM/DD/YY" that way if a company is really serious about their product/offer, site designers will be much more inclined to setup their offer without the risk of wasted time.

Ultimately, people would still run the other ads, but they probably would promote them more in the short term IE: newsletter ads, web site text links, etc. Where the sites that were locked in would probably get a more steady stream of promotion since they have proven their committment to the publisher, more publishers would commit to them.

Not only would this benefit the publishers, this would also benefit both the network (as it would motivate advertisers to have locked in contracts which means more $$ for you). It would attract more publishers and since it would attract more publishers it would attract more of the "big boys" as advertisers, once again making everyone more money as well as allowing you to offer better offers.

What do you think of that? I hope i didnt beat that to death with a stick.

Thanks
Ryan
drbones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2004, 01:35 PM   #11
JP Sauve
Member.

There's some excellent ideas here. Thanks everyone.

I have another question for you all. Would consistantly better rates for identical CPA offers entice you to jump to a new network?
Old 01-09-2004, 02:00 PM   #12
jnestor

I've been talking about what I want from affiliate networks for years but no-one's ever responded perhaps now that someone is asking what publishers want ...

Automatic selection of campaigns - I want an affiliate network that has the option of running like an ad network. I give you my site category and creative size and you select campaigns to run on the site. Optimize out campaigns that don't perform for me on an effective CPM basis and try out new campaigns as they come along.

Better yet you can do a google and target the ads to the particular page but that's not really totally necessary.

You need a large number of available campaigns and a fair bit of intelligence in the ad server to pull this off but I think it's entirely doable and would be revolutionary in impact.
jnestor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2004, 02:10 PM   #13
Steve_S

Quote:
Originally posted by JP Sauve
There's some excellent ideas here. Thanks everyone.

I have another question for you all. Would consistantly better rates for identical CPA offers entice you to jump to a new network?
This is an excellent question and I love the creative nature of the issue. I'm confident we will see various opinions which is always good.

My own view if you wan't to attract and retain producers. Webmasters who generate sales with quality sites. Let's just call these folks "juice"

Rates are rarely the primary motivating factor. Please note that I said primary.

Long before the folks with "juice" evaluate rates they should and do look at:

Risk and reward for the new kid on the block with an in-house program as opposed to one hooked up to a "brand" like cj or shareasale or others
Does the merchant SPAM?
Does the merchant actually pay for advertising
A carefull review of the site and the TOS
They normally perform additional due-dillegence
Then rates

Having said this as respectfully and nice as I can, I see nothing wrong with private deals to grab top producers with quality sites in a desirable niche

This may sound crazy, but with the proper verification of a "juice site" consider a prepay of $ to grab them.

These are just my views and a lot of other folks are driven only by rates and would immediately jump ship.

Best wishes and good luck.
Steve_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2004, 02:47 PM   #14
shareasale

first ... JP, best of luck in your new venture! based on your past performance with us, i have no doubt you'll be successful.

second, on the following

Quote:
We ran into some issues in the past - due to our low cost structure, where merchants were able to run higher paying commissions, mainly in the CPSale model...

It sounded like a great idea, but we did run into some isolated incidents where the other network that they were running their ad on had a clause in their contract concerning posting a higher rate any other place...

just a heads up to do a little research

Also, from our experience as well... a higher rate doesn't necessarily convert to more high-performance publishers changing networks, etc... although it would help certainly if it remained a constant benefit of your network - those other factors that Steve mentioned have been brought up in discussions between publishers/merchants/and shareasale as being of equal importance to a higher rate...
shareasale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2004, 08:39 AM   #15
Chet

JP,

First, I would like to say better you than me

Quote:
No, when I log onto a network for the first time and see identical offers as the other 500 networks out there I log off and never return.... honestly.

The network that can get the exclusives and have unique offers that are not plopped in every single network there is is the network that will be most successful. Just starting out though that would be pretty tough to contract advertisers on an exclusive basis.

Quote:
Not every company would have to lock in like this, but it would be awesome to see "Locked in until MM/DD/YY" that way if a company is really serious about their product/offer, site designers will be much more inclined to setup their offer without the risk of wasted time.
Good idea but it won't solve anything and can get a network into hot water with their affiliates. If a merchant decides to go then they are going to go, no stopping them. Not much you can do about it. I really doubt anyone will prepay for months in advance so when they leave then you get bombarded with "but it says it is locked until...." emails. Running ads that die is just one of the (very many) risks you take as an affiliate. Especially with CPA, CPC, and CPM.