Webmaster Forum Rules | Posting Guide | Contact Us | Testimonials | Contributing Geek Program | Advertise on Geek/Talk
Welcome to the GeekTalk Webmaster Discussion Forums from GeekVillage.com

Click Here To Register. It's Free!

Go Back   geek/talk: Signature-free discourse for serious web publishers > YOUR REVENUE: Making Money On The Internet > Making Money with CPC and/or CPM Programs
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-01-2000, 09:54 PM   #1
qwex

Unhappy age requirements

nearly all sponsor sites require you to be 18, and require a SSN. I'm not 18 yet, will they actually care if I sign up? e.g., will they use my SSN to find out if I'm 18 (if they can do that)? because I signed up for clicktrade a while ago, and no SSN was needed. now I can't change my account info without entering a SSN. do most sites care about age that much, or will they still pay me?
qwex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2000, 10:25 PM   #2
suresk

Lightbulb

While lying about your age would be dishonest and put your account at risk, you probably wouldn't run into any problems doing this. I still don't recommend it though. Why? While most sponsors won't even bother, that one that owes you $2,300 in the future might, then its not very good for you http://geekvillage.com/ubb/smile.gif

Here are 2 suggestions:

1) Contact the company and see if they can work out some type of thing where the account is under your name, and so are the checks, but your parents sign on the contract as well. If your site is one they want to work with, they won't have a problem with doing this. The reason they require you to be 18 is mostly so that the contract you enter into is legal and binding.

2) Have a parent/guardian or older brother/sister or someone else over 18 you trust sign up under their name and then when they get the check, they cash it and pay you.

Your best bet is #1, its always best to have good communication with a company rather than leaving them in the dark.

HTH

------------------
Spencer Uresk
spencer@uresk.net
Come Check out my site, I just re-designed it!

Win a PlayStation 2!
suresk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2000, 11:29 PM   #3
fairhousing
Member.

Lightbulb

i seriously doubt improper age would be considered a material breach of contract. thus, u'd get paid any money they owed u if u had to go to court. however, they could drop u after they pay u what they owe u.

good luck http://geekvillage.com/ubb/smile.gif

------------------
Top Game Sites!
Click 4 tested resources for making $$$, hosting, and web promotion.
My Site Got Hacked, But I'm Coming Back?
fairhousing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2000, 12:39 PM   #4
qwex

Unhappy

well, is anyone here under 18 and has gotten paid with the big sponsor services?
qwex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2000, 12:56 PM   #5
WebsiteSponsors
Member.

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally posted by fairhousing:
i seriously doubt improper age would be considered a material breach of contract. thus, u'd get paid any money they owed u if u had to go to court. however, they could drop u after they pay u what they owe u.
So the courts would reward you for lying about your age?

------------------
Chet Brzezinski
WebsiteSponsors.com - Earn 17 Cents Per Click...
www.websitesponsors.com
cbrzezin@iboost.com

[This message has been edited by WebsiteSponsors (edited 09-02-2000).]
WebsiteSponsors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2000, 03:02 PM   #6
Chris_Howard
Member.

Unhappy

I was making good money when I was 16 & 17 years old. The ad companies really don't care, they ask for your SSN for tax purposes.

------------------
Chris Howard
SponsorDirectory.com - The definitive guide to generating revenue from your website.
Chris_Howard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2000, 03:41 PM   #7
JuTa

Unhappy

I was 15 when I started with Burst. However, there's a space on the contract for a guardian or parent of the webmaster to sign in case he/she's a minor.
JuTa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2000, 07:34 PM   #8
JonathanLB
Member.

Unhappy

I am 17, but I'll be 18 in about 4 months.

I had not even thought about that, there is a lot of age discrimination in the United States (the world?) I think. I am a freelance writer too, and I have had this problem before. I will not specify which site, but I write for one site that pays per hit (10 cents per read of my articles), and they require you to be 18. Oh well, I don't care, it's their stupidity in the first place.

Any 15 year old mature enough to write an article or run a website is mature enough to understand a contract. DUH!!!! Hello people.

I cannot stand this endless oppression of people that have drive before they are 18. It is like, what am I supposed to do just sit around and do NOTHING with my life until I can drink at age 21 or something? I want to be a productive and successful person NOW, I am ready for that, not once I am out of college, that is too late to start if you ask me.

I don't feel bad about lying to a company that sets stupid rules.

I write for places like YCraze.com and they don't care how old you are, it doesn't matter. You write the article, they publish it, you get paid. Simple as that. Most good companies work that way.

If I sign up with a place like Advertising.com or whatever, I would hope that there is some option for me to get my parents to approve of it, so that I don't have to lie about my age again.

Anymore, I just don't say how old I am. With all that I have done I may as well be 20-something, so I just don't bother saying, even when I'm writing a biography of myself.

I am working on a book now too, but if I told the publisher in my proposal that I am 17 years old, how likely do you think they would be to even look at the book? It's just a natural bias, "Oh, gee, a 17 year old could not possibly write a good book." Sheesh, get real. Age is just a number, it means nothing. They didn't even use to keep track of it, plus it used to be that you were a man at about age 12, and that was probably only about 600 years ago.

Oh well, I'll be 18 very soon. Still, I have money to make before that time...
JonathanLB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2000, 08:28 PM   #9
suresk

Unhappy

Well, I totally agree with you about minors being able to understand contracts and stuff, and I'm sure a lot of others would as well. However, that is not the issue, which is the fact that if you are under 18, you cannot sign legally binding contracts, there are of course a few exceptions. Most companies require you to be 18 for that reason, and that reason alone. They do this because their lawyers tell them to, as a CYA policy http://geekvillage.com/ubb/smile.gif Sure, you can lie about it and get away with it most of the time, just like you can speed and roll through stop signs most of the time, but it sure isn't fun getting caught, is it? http://geekvillage.com/ubb/smile.gif

The 18 requirement is meant to "protect" you in more ways than it protects them. It prevents you from being taken advantage of by companies who would use your young age and relatively low level of legal understanding to their benefit. This is not to say that at 17, 16 or whatever age you are "Dumb", in fact I know a lot of minors who could probably interpret a contract better than most adults http://geekvillage.com/ubb/smile.gif It is apparent that as time has progressed, youth have become smarter than their parents were when they were the same age. A lot of this has to do with the Internet and better schools. Perhaps we need to look at lowering the "legal" age to 16 or 17? I've always thought that at about 16 you were pretty much smart and responsible enough to take care of yourself in a reasonable manner, after all, in most states they let you drive a car at 16 http://geekvillage.com/ubb/smile.gif

I don't agree with you about saying that the companies deserve to be lied to because they set "Stupid" rules. Like I said, they set these rules to cover themselves. Email them, and I'm sure they will be more than willing to work something out with you. Does a discrimination towards minors exist? Of course, but its not as blatant as you say, such as purposely keeping you out of their network for the sole reason you are underage. It is more in the mind, much like your idea about the publisher not wanting to publish your book. Some of this is somewhat justified in a way. Most of them remember how they were, and what they were doing at age 17, and for their generatioin it was probably doing mushrooms or something like that http://geekvillage.com/ubb/smile.gif Furthermore, look at all the problems some teenagers cause. A lot of people stereotype all teenagers to be troublemakers. What they don't realize is that a high percentage of minors are highly perceptive, open to new ideas and concepts, and very eager to learn about the world around them and how everything works. I recently graduated high school, and most of my teachers commented often on how much smarter they thought our generation was. Many of them could not believe the knowledge we had, and how easily we grasped new concepts, such as computers. Many more of them were surprised at how mature we were. For example, our school had several handicapped students in it. These students were the popular kids in our school, a large percentage of the student body went out of their way to make them feel normal and accepted. They were always honored in some way at football games and asseblies. Our teachers were amazed by that, in their days, they would have made fun of the kids...

So, I don't think problem is with responsibily/maturity/etc, but with the law that requires you to be 18. Maybe since I'm not quite 19 myself, I'm not the best person to judge, that, but I personally know numerous school teachers, college professors, and professionals in the business field who would agree with me. Like I said, maybe one day the age will drop, but with more important issues like guns, abortion, etc, they probably won't get around to even caring about lowering the age to become and adult, and you might care now, but after you turn 18, you won't, so there is nobody to really advocate it http://geekvillage.com/ubb/smile.gif

I'll stop ranting now, hopefully this will shed some light on a few things http://geekvillage.com/ubb/smile.gif

take care!

------------------
Spencer Uresk
spencer@uresk.net

Win a PlayStation 2!
Old 09-02-2000, 08:42 PM   #10
fairhousing
Member.

Lightbulb

in most states a minor can sign a legally binding contract. the trick is the minor can void the contract whenever they feel like it, unless it's a contract involving necessities (housing, food, etc).

that's fairhousing's rule of law, hehe http://geekvillage.com/ubb/eek.gif

------------------
Top Game Sites!
Old 09-02-2000, 09:10 PM   #11
suresk

Unhappy

Fairousing:

I always thought they could sign legally binding documents ONLY if it was for necessities such as housing or food, or if they had been emancipated by a judge? Perhaps you could point me to a resource that would show what you have said to be true? Thanks http://geekvillage.com/ubb/smile.gif

------------------
Spencer Uresk
spencer@uresk.net

Win a PlayStation 2!
Old 09-02-2000, 11:15 PM   #12
JonathanLB
Member.

Wink

Obviously, not that many kids my age are very mature. I have come to accept that, lol, I'm almost embarrassed by the people in my class most of the time. Their "goals" include getting a good lunch the next day or passing their test or something, very trivial. I do great in school, but you have to worry about more than just that, have to think ahead at least a few years, not just a few days...

I mean, I have a five-year plan even, it may not be super complicated, but I know where I want to be in five years and I work every day to get closer, realizing it will take time, of course.

I still think that if you can drive at 16, yeah, you should be able to sign a contract.

I don't mind as long as the companies have some sort of clause saying, "If you get consent from a parent/guardian..." etc...

I have seen places like that, and I am always appreciate of their understanding that some young people are worthy to compete with any adults.

It may be arrogant, but I don't feel that many journalists write at the quality that I consider "good writing." Most journalists I see are poor writers and probably have never even read books like "The Elements of Style," a totally essential book for any writer, but I'd say a totally essential book for any person...

When I see headlines like, "This summer was so bad," I have to wonder...

First of all, for five words there sure are a lot of mistakes there. Do not use "this" in formal writing, i.e. anything that is published. Do not use "so" as a modifier for an adjective, use it as a transitional word. "I went to the store yesterday, so I figured I should get you something." Not "so ugly," "so bad," "so stupid." Those are not correct phrases. Please, learn some English, stupid journalists.

Sports writers are the worst, though, they cannot figure out how to write anything.

I do not feel in the least intimated by adult professional writers, they're just other writers that will have to compete with me, not the other way around. I respect consumate professionals, but not these ignorant sports writers or silly journalists. Especially not most movie critics, not only can they not write, they can't review either. "This movie really ***** , you know what? If I was the director I would not have..."

Ok, do not use "I" in your reviews, you make me want to barf. Don't speak to me, explain the movie, do your ******* job! http://geekvillage.com/ubb/smile.gif

Furthermore, you're not the director, you're a failed filmmaker that is making a living off making fun of other people's movies, so get a real job and stop complaining.

lol.

Sorry, end of rant http://geekvillage.com/ubb/smile.gif
JonathanLB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2000, 09:17 AM   #13
fairhousing
Member.

Lightbulb

no idea why the age 18 is being thrown around here, except for the fact that's it's canned language in many store bought legal documents (junk). the fact is the age of majority differs across this country, state by state. in some state it's 19.

but what do i know, hehe http://geekvillage.com/ubb/eek.gif

------------------
Top Game Sites!