Webmaster Forum Rules | Posting Guide | Contact Us | Testimonials | Contributing Geek Program | Advertise on Geek/Talk
Welcome to the GeekTalk Webmaster Discussion Forums from GeekVillage.com

Click Here To Register. It's Free!

Go Back   geek/talk: Signature-free discourse for serious web publishers > YOUR CREATION: Building & Maintaining A Web Site > Web Design and Webmaster Issues
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-15-2002, 06:19 PM   #1
hobbnet

Default My Advertise Page, please critique

Hey all,

With all the talk of it here and a recent influx of advertising inquiries made I have decided to make a detailed advertise page for JumpDates.com

Please take a look at it here:
http://www.jumpdates.com/adt_home_advertise.asp

Any input will be greatly appreciated.

Also, I wanted to thank Magic2K2 because I followed his site's advertise page after seeing people critique his.

Thanks a million.
hobbnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2002, 03:26 AM   #2
Czar

Webmaster

Good luck with it, hobbnet.

I think we'll start to deal with this style of request within the "Webmaster Issues" forum, where design requests have always been placed.

I understand that this is related to the Make Money thread, but at the same time there are conflicts of interest in placing a critique of an ad-pitch page there.

< Transferring thread >

Thanks in advance for your anticipated cooperation.

Follow Geek/Talk's Twitter Feed and Facebook Page to stay up to date with new discussion threads and online ad industry highlights.

Important GeekVillage Links: Home | Rules | Posting Guide | Report Trouble | Feedback | Advertise on GV
Czar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2002, 03:28 AM   #3
hobbnet

Yea, I felt weird posting it in the Making Money forum (I thought it fit better here) but I saw others post there about this type of thing and it didn't get moved so...I was a sheep and followed.

Anyways, want to bash my Advertise page Czar? Or anyone else, please.

Thanks
Old 05-16-2002, 09:45 AM   #4
fphotoworks

Cool advertising page

Hi Hobnet

I think my only comment would be get rid of the underlined links

which is easily done with your style sheet.

fphotoworks
fphotoworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2002, 10:12 AM   #5
madaweb

Hi Hobnet
I like the over all design of the site, but I had to scroll over to read your text alot of surfers hate that. Since you've got plenty of empty space on the right hand side of the screen horizontal scrolling could be avoided.
Hope it helps.
madaweb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2002, 11:46 AM   #6
Steve_S
I am a Contributing Geek. Are You?

Arrow

Nice and best of luck

- Negotiable CPM (cost-per-thousand) banner and button rates, including a special

Change to: Reasonable CPM

You have already lowered your prices with this word.

------------

Untargetted Campaigns

Change to: run of the site Campaigns..

Consistent with what you said at the top and sounds better and "looks" better

----

When contacting us please specify if you are interested in any of these custom campaigns.

Avoid the use of the word "if" This is the "close" and must be assumptive in nature and not wishy wishy washy. Also the link should appear at the top of the page and the bottom of the page. You only use a form to start this procedure. Also give them an email link (top and bottom of the page) as many advertisers prefer this method.

Something like: ...via our Feedback form or just Email us at <insert email link with subject>

Change to: Please contact us to start your campaign.

----

HTH
Steve_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2002, 06:10 PM   #7
hobbnet

Thank you for your tips...I change some and left some

I greatly appreciate it.

Anything else anyone?

Czar? hehe
Old 05-17-2002, 08:28 PM   #8
Czar

Webmaster

Apologies for the tardy response, hobbnet, but here goes...

One thing that I would do is setup the page as a live demonstration of the four available ad positions. That is, I would dump some of the sponsored links from the lhs nav bar on that particular page and replace these with the cube spot that is offered on your rate card. The rhs cube should also be displayed to give the buyer an idea of the placement that she'll be buying.

I might change "highly targeted audiences" in the second pitch paragraph to "highly targeted audience segments" or "highly targeted demographic groups" for greater clarity.

I would change the key feature "Choose to advertise..." to "Ability to advertise..." Neither are full sentences, but the latter sounds more complete, IMHO.

Perhaps you could try changing the formating of the contact request line to give this greater visibility.

Other than those few somewhat pedantic points, it's looking great. The rates, demographics and advertiser options are all clearly visible, the page flows nicely, and there's no excessive 'fluff'.

Should be a winner!

Follow Geek/Talk's Twitter Feed and Facebook Page to stay up to date with new discussion threads and online ad industry highlights.

Important GeekVillage Links: Home | Rules | Posting Guide | Report Trouble | Feedback | Advertise on GV
Czar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2002, 10:35 PM   #9
Steve_S
I am a Contributing Geek. Are You?

Looks good

Please let us know how it works out.
Steve_S is offline   Reply With Quote