Webmaster Forum Rules | Posting Guide | Contact Us | Testimonials | Contributing Geek Program | Advertise on Geek/Talk
Welcome to the GeekTalk Webmaster Discussion Forums from GeekVillage.com

Click Here To Register. It's Free!

Go Back   geek/talk: Signature-free discourse for serious web publishers > YOUR CREATION: Building & Maintaining A Web Site > Web Design and Webmaster Issues
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-24-2002, 06:58 PM   #1
Rhea

Location: Oh drat these computers, they're so naughty and so complex. I could pinch them.
Lightbulb Say it loud...popup free and proud

Hey kids,

I decided a while back that I wasn't going to put popups (or any variant form of pop) on my web sites. As much as they annoy me when I surf I figured they must also be annoying to my visitors.

The other day it occurred to me that I might actually be able to promote this feature of my web sites. So I made a little graphic of a toaster and put some bold text on it that says, "POP-UP FREE WEBSITE". The alt text says, "For your browsing comfort, this website is pop-up free".

I don't know if this will improve visits or recommendations but I suspect that people will feel more comfortable recommending the site to friends if they know it's a safe environment to browse.

Curious to hear your comments on this, although I don't want to get into a debate about the relative benefits or detriments of pop ads. (That's a decision that each webmaster has to make. I don't expect that my way of doing things will be the best way for everyone else.)
Rhea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2002, 01:37 AM   #2
LastActionHero

Don't you get annoyed when a commercial popsin in the middle of your favourite TV program. That doesn't mean you stop watching your TV program.

If a website is good and the visitors like it, I don't think they should complain when the webmaster is trying to make money for a living. On the other hand I think hobby sites should be devoid of popups because there the main purpose of the site is to provide information and not a money making venture.

If the users don't get annoyed they don't notice, it never registers in their mind. Saw the reaction when Steve introduced the DHTML ads? Did anyone leave because of that? No! Because this is an excellent site.

My slogan would be Say it loud , Be popup free and Perish!

Just my opinion.
LastActionHero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2002, 06:21 AM   #3
Rhea

Location: Oh drat these computers, they're so naughty and so complex. I could pinch them.

Hahaha! Gotcha there, LAH! I only watch commercial television during national emergencies and um, a few other situations that I can't recall at the moment.

And besides, I did write that I don't want to turn this thread into a pro-con debate about pop ads. I just would like to know if people think that it's possible to promote a site on the basis of its being pop-free. In other words, does a pop-free site have enough appeal to visitors that they'd be more likely to recommend it to a friend, or be more likely to click on a static ad.

I'm not perishing. I'm still making a few bucks without running pops. It's not going to make me rich but it pays the server bills and a bit extra.
Old 04-25-2002, 07:56 AM   #4
FreeArcade
I am a Contributing Geek. Are You?

Default Do it.

There is a perceived value. It won't cost you much. Doesn't seem to be a downside to me. I'd say Do it.

If you make your graphic cute enough and promote it for use on other sites, you may start a trend.
Old 04-25-2002, 09:06 AM   #5
clay
Member.

I don't use popups on any sites I make either. So, your not the only one that doesn't use them.

I also don't visit sites that have excessive popups after 1 time. And I stay away from sites with popups as much as possible. I don't use ad/popup blockers so I get them all.

I also don't accept sites that have alot of popups, or popups that do things like try to change the homepage, get you to run active-x controls, or just keep popping up other popups.

btw LAH. There are so many different tv channels no that when a commercial does come on the tv I always change the channel to another channel. Usually there are a few things on TV at 1 time that I wouldn't mind watching so I change to another show. Then when a commercial comes up on that channel, I change to something else. Drives my gf crazy because I rarely watch a whole tv show. If the show is really good, then sometimes I'll switch back and forth waiting for the commercials to go away. I don't watch much tv though.

So, if your site didn't have popups, and another site like it did. I would definetly visit your site a 2nd time over the site with popups. If a site throws 2 or more popups, I will close the site with the popups and thats the end of that.

I think anyone who puts a popup on thier homepage is just asking for people to leave the site.

Not sure if the icon would help me stay, but I know not getting a popup thrown at me every chance will.
clay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2002, 10:38 AM   #6
madaweb

Hi Rhea
I think advertising what's positive about your site is always a good idea, and for many people popups are definately a negative. I have popups on all my sites by the way, but not because I like them...they pay the bills
madaweb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2002, 12:37 PM   #7
brian 2468

Hi Rhea.......

I like the idea, it makes good since, I've got use to them, but most people prefare not to be hassled when there reading information for the first time.
brian 2468 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2002, 05:02 PM   #8
clay
Member.

would inform the people with popup blockers that you don't have them as well. They wouldn't know otherwise.
clay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2002, 05:52 PM   #9
Gumyeelo1

welll if you going to put popup. just put it on main page or exit popups. don't put popups on eversingle page.. Because that is what keeps me from going to a site. I was surfing for joke sites. and when I came to a site where there are popup on everypage and exit pop I just leave the site. even tho they have nice joke and stuff. I can't stand wasting time closing the popups.
Gumyeelo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2002, 06:09 PM   #10
Rhea

Thanks all, very much, for your feedback. I figured if I wasn't going to put pops on my sites then at the very least I might get some mileage out of promoting that feature.

If any of you would like to have the graphic, feel free to download it and use it on your own sites. You can find it at http://www.yuckles.com/ in the upper right-hand corner. This is my official declaration that the graphic is in the public domain for all to use.

Ain't I a peach?
Old 04-27-2002, 02:33 AM   #11
Scuba

First I think that it's a gr8 idea to promoat the fact that a web site is PopUp free. My site is popup free and I tend to keep it this way. If some one will create a good graphic for this and be willing to shere it I will put it on my site without thinking twice.

About the commercials in the TV -
A commercial every now and then is normal, and we also have the equivalent on Banners but in a more descreet way - hidden commercials for products. You will see the acter drinking coca cola for example but not Pepsi.

but think that every 5 min or less, not only the TV will switch itself to a Commersial channel alone, but the radio will turn itself on with commercials, the phone will ring with a sales man, a second one at the door and the news paper will fall on your head opend on a - Duaaaaa, full page comercial. That is how I see popup hell's/site with excessive Popups.

Making money is fine.
Using a option like PopUps excessivly with multiple pop's, over and under, changing your home page, addind the site to the favorits, enlisting you with out you asking for a news letter and there are more Creative things on the market is wrong and give a bad name for all the industry.
Scuba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2002, 12:36 AM   #12
LastActionHero

Hi Rhea!
Sorry I misunderstood your question. I think that users will be pleased that you have gone out of your way to make their surfing experience much more pleasurable by disabling popups. Maybe this will spread by word of mouth and bring in more visitors

Best of Luck!
LastActionHero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2002, 01:50 PM   #13
fancythis

Default Thanks for the toaster

I am using it and spreading the news. Pop ups or toast anyone?
fancythis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2002, 07:29 PM   #14
Rhea

Thanks fancythis for your link back to Yuckles! You have a very nice website, and now I have a place to send my webmeister-wannabe friends who ask me endless questions about how to make, maintain and market a website. If they had any idea what an amateur I am (by most standards), they'd find a better teacher! lol!

LAH...don't sweat it. I've been known to misunderstand from time to time. Confusion happens.

I'm really pleased at the responses to this thread. Kind of gives me hope that perhaps the pop-up trend will die down and the internet will become a less in-your-face kind of place.
Old 05-07-2002, 04:01 PM   #15
fphotoworks

Default Pop ups!

Whilst I agree pop ups are horrible, they are like banners advertising and I feel we will all see a lot more unfortunately, like you I stear clear of them.

fphotoworks
fphotoworks is offline   Reply With Quote