Webmaster Forum Rules | Posting Guide | Contact Us | Testimonials | Contributing Geek Program | Advertise on Geek/Talk
Welcome to the GeekTalk Webmaster Discussion Forums from GeekVillage.com

Click Here To Register. It's Free!

Go Back   geek/talk: Signature-free discourse for serious web publishers > YOUR FRIENDS: The geek/talk Community > Archives of the best threads
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: How often do you backup your site and or dedicated server?
Every 6 hours 0 0%
Every 12 hours 1 1.22%
Every day 26 31.71%
Once a week 8 9.76%
Once a month 6 7.32%
Every so often 18 21.95%
Other time schedule 2 2.44%
Never 21 25.61%
Voters: 82. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-24-2001, 12:57 PM   #1
Steve_S
I am a Contributing Geek. Are You?

Question How often do you backup your site and or dedicated server?

Please only vote once. This Poll is for folks with virtual sites and dedicated servers. Please share your tips and procedures on exactly how you perform backups. If you are a "host" it would also be helpfull to learn how you perform backups for your clients or if they use a control panel to perform backups. Please do not advertise

Additional questions that should help all of us: What media do you use? Where are the backups stored? What recovery method do you use? How do you backup mySQL data?

One method which I tell folks to run at least every week and which I also use via Telnet to backup an entire site:

Code:
tar -cvf - /home/mysite | gzip -c > /home/mysite/backup.tar.gz
Download (Binary) the backup.tar.gz archive and make at least 2 copies of this archive. One copy needs to go on removeable media and stored in a fireproof container off site. I like burning the archive to CD. WinZip does a dandy job of exstracting the contents of this archive if I need to recover data and or files.

And you?
Old 10-24-2001, 01:17 PM   #2
singloon

GeekGuide

I backup all mysql databases (0.8GB in total) every 12 hrs onto my server, download a copy every 2 or 3 days to local pc

I probably backup my server 2 or 3 times a month

and for both i transfer a copy to a 2nd server just in case

i hope to have raid disks one day though for added peace of mind

Old 10-24-2001, 01:25 PM   #3
notibrian

i never backup anything, as i have all my sites in my hardisk. but just recently i have hosted some of my friends site and have been concerning about backuping, is there any script/program that can backup everything (email,mysql,all the sites on the server) and zip it in a compressed file?

i am using raq3 server ... is the two backup options Legato and Arkeia recommendable? which one is better?
Old 10-24-2001, 02:09 PM   #4
Scuba

I have two copys of my site at any time,
One on my computer and second on the web server. In my openion if the server will go down in a way non recoverble by the host I can always upload and if my computer will go down I can always down load.
* My site don't contain scripts or a self changing DB.
Apart from this the site is being saved on a CDR every ones and then when I backup files to clean up the HD. (you will not belive how fast a 3X 60G IBM Raid 0 can be filled).
Old 10-26-2001, 09:01 AM   #5
Kathy

My server has a raid built in which helps for piece of mind....but I run a cron once a week to back up the entire server on to a tape. I have 4 tapes and they are rotated so that I have my server backed up weekly...and have the past month's weekly files available. They are tar zipped in the process.

I've actually used my backup. I can't remember why...but I lost a hunk of data. It took a while to retrieve the data and lost files but it worked.

ALthough I would prefer to back up my server daily (), I figure if something happens, my members would have to understand that we are doing the best we can to keep all data/files/posts but this isn't possible 100% of the time.
Old 10-26-2001, 03:29 PM   #6
Gracklor

All of my html code for my site is on my hard drive. (I don't use online databases or anything like that.) Because I only have a virtual server, I don't really need anything fancy to do backups. However, I do backup my computer's hard drive to a tape drive weekly. I assume that I would be backing things up big time (RAID, downloading zipped files, and archiving them) if I had an actual dedicated server, but for now, my hard drive will do.

Last edited by Gracklor; 10-26-2001 at 03:33 PM.
Old 10-26-2001, 06:50 PM   #7
mjames

I'm not sure how this is done exactly because my wonderful host (HostRocket) arranged it, but my MySQL database for my vBulletin is backed up every 24 hours.

All my web site files are on my hard drive, so no need to backup there.
Old 10-26-2001, 08:44 PM   #8
inogenius

I have all my PHP scripts and HTML files backed up, but as my database I never back that up. Not even sure how. I'm afraid that if I tried I would ***** something up.
Old 10-26-2001, 09:08 PM   #9
Ted S

I backup mysql all the damn time (basically whenever I feel like changing anything).... sometimes that means daily, sometimes its weekly but always receently.

As for webfiles, I have all my scripts locally, all configured, etc... most of the images and other content is around on varrious cds and every now and then, we do back it up but thats not my job
Old 11-01-2001, 07:42 AM   #10
singloon

GeekGuide

why is this thread being updated (last post date is Nov 1) but last thread i can see is Oct 27 ?? http://geekvillage.com/forums/showth...7605#post77605

Old 11-13-2001, 01:50 PM   #11
sdarken

I think threads get bumped to the top when someone answers the poll (see the top of this thread). I've seen this happen before. It's a bit annoying isn't it.
Old 11-13-2001, 04:12 PM   #12
FC

I backup once a day, with use of a script, and automaticly SSH them to another server. Secure and fast.

I'm also using linux software raid (mirror) on 2 IDE 7200 rpm disks which is performing VERY well.

Cheap and safe!.

There is a bit more of a hassle when one software-raid disk fales, beats the costs of a hardware RAID config anyhow.
Old 11-13-2001, 08:06 PM   #13
singloon

GeekGuide

Quote:
Originally posted by sdarken
I think threads get bumped to the top when someone answers the poll (see the top of this thread). I've seen this happen before. It's a bit annoying isn't it.
i'm okay with that just that the last poster on this thread is never the last post creator... it doesn't hapen now.. i.e i saw FC last poster name and indeed there is a last post there

oh well 2.2.0 might have fixed it

Old 11-13-2001, 08:08 PM   #14
singloon

GeekGuide

Quote:
Originally posted by singloon
I backup all mysql databases (0.8GB in total) every 12 hrs onto my server, download a copy every 2 or 3 days to local pc

I probably backup my server 2 or 3 times a month

and for both i transfer a copy to a 2nd server just in case

i hope to have raid disks one day though for added peace of mind
from the above polling results, am I the only one who backs up every 12 hrs ????

Old 12-07-2001, 03:50 PM   #15
Steve_S
I am a Contributing Geek. Are You?

Arrow

I certainly hope not Georgie Although it appears we are in the minority. I find this quite surprising and dissapointing.

"An accident waiting to happen" as Dad used to say.

This box even has a tape backup. DI uses the Tivoli Storage Management Backup and Restoration. Sweet

The web interface for manuall stuff is kind of ugly and clunky but the rest is dynamite